As if I needed another reason laws to get pissed off about CCW...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    dunno from a legal standpoint....but I'd think you'd have a better defense with the car by saying, "He startled me and i wasn't sure he had a weapon so I was trying to get away and accidentally threw it into reverse."

FerFal always says your car is a great weapon....

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    dunno from a legal standpoint....but I'd think you'd have a better defense with the car by saying, "He startled me and i wasn't sure he had a weapon so I was trying to get away and accidentally threw it into reverse."

Most states simply have "deadly force self defense" statutes, not deadly force with a gun, knife, car, jar of pickles etc. so yes, a car can be used as a weapon as long as the actions were neccesary to stop an immediate and deadly threat. Of course all the other intricacies of self defense law still apply, it could be a perfect defensive scenario, and you may make it all the way to a trial, it could be a questionable, but still reasonable use of deadlt force, and you may not be charged. This is why in addition to criminal and civil castle doctrines that apply in a dwelling many states extend the legality of self defense to anywhere that you legally have a right to be. Works the other way too, if a criminal is attempting to use a vehicle as a weapon, you can use deadly force in your defense.

A car makes a great weapon, keep in mind they kill something on the order of 5 times more people every year than guns, and MD has "shall issue" permits for their use;)

As far as maintaining distace between you and the car in front at a light or stop sign, I was taught to do this by my dad with the addition of never getting stuck in the middle lane(can't go anywhere but forward 10 feet), and have always left at least 10 feet in front, more in inclement weather. It has saved me from harm many times, although not from goblins, but from people speeding, or sliding in bad weather, or sometimes dry and sunny. Keep an eye on your mirrors even when stopped, and if someone is barreling down the road behind you, and it looks like they are not going to stop in time, simply turn, and jump out of the lane if possible. The person in front of you might be pissed when they get hit from the rear, but you will be safe. Self defense has little to do with the tools, or even the actions of the criminal or negligent person that is sending harm your way, it is a way of life where you train your body, mind and equip yourself to take action to ensure the safety of you and your loved ones, it trancends the armed citizen vs criminal scenarios we mostly concentrate on.

Last edited:

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Most states simply have "deadly force self defense" statutes, not deadly force with a gun, knife, car, jar of pickles etc. so yes, a car can be used as a weapon as long as the actions were neccesary to stop an immediate and deadly threat. Of course all the other intricacies of self defense law still apply, it could be a perfect defensive scenario, and you may make it all the way to a trial, it could be a questionable, but still reasonable use of deadlt force, and you may not be charged. This is why in addition to criminal and civil castle doctrines that apply in a dwelling many states extend the legality of self defense to anywhere that you legally have a right to be. Works the other way too, if a criminal is attempting to use a vehicle as a weapon, you can use deadly force in your defense.

A car makes a great weapon, keep in mind they kill something on the order of 5 times more people every year than guns, and MD has "shall issue" permits for their use;)

As far as maintaining distace between you and the car in front at a light or stop sign, I was taught to do this by my dad with the addition of never getting stuck in the middle lane(can't go anywhere but forward 10 feet), and have always left at least 10 feet in front, more in inclement weather. It has saved me from harm many times, although not from goblins, but from people speeding, or sliding in bad weather, or sometimes dry and sunny. Keep an eye on your mirrors even when stopped, and if someone is barreling down the road behind you, and it looks like they are not going to stop in time, simply turn, and jump out of the lane if possible. The person in front of you might be pissed when they get hit from the rear, but you will be safe. Self defense has little to do with the tools, or even the actions of the criminal or negligent person that is sending harm your way, it is a way of life where you train your body, mind and equip yourself to take action to ensure the safety of you and your loved ones, it trancends the armed citizen vs criminal scenarios we mostly concentrate on.

I'm sorry, this is a serious subject, but that cracked me up.:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom