Is it legal to transport regulated through Md.?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saln

Dec 28, 2008
    If you lived in NC and wanted to transport your AR's and AK's to NY, can you legally transport them through Md?

What are the rules?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Yes it’s perfectly legal under FOPA. I wouldn’t be stopping in NJ or NY though, but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saln

Dec 28, 2008
    Thanks folks. I was just using NY as an example, I agree, I guess worse than Md...

I'm a Md resident and I know to split the firearm/ammo/mags up into different, unaccessable locations (no loaded mags) and have it all under lock and or cased when "traveling to the range". I was just wondering about a SO CALLED "assault weapons"..., that have never been on the Md books and just passing through, to wherever.

So, as a Md resident, is the following ok? To borrow a "potentially banned" rifle (ar ak) from a friend (in his name) and pass through Md with it say into WV, as long as everything is split up and locked and removed from easy access? Such worthless, pain in the ass laws that generate worthless, pain in the ass, bs questions...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not sure if intentional , but you are mixing two catagories : Regulated Weapons aka Handguns, and potentially Banned Rifles . Please clarify your inquiry .

saln

Dec 28, 2008
    I'm not sure if intentional , but you are mixing two catagories : Regulated Weapons aka Handguns, and potentially Banned Rifles . Please clarify your inquiry .

Sorry, I meant banned, still used to what just used to be regulated... F'ing Frosh/Raskin. Ya, I was there...

I edited it out.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    You can not borrow your friends "banned" firearm, let alone transport it out of and/or back into this state.

saln

Dec 28, 2008
    Just so we are clear.

The AK is in his name and not considered to be a banned weapon in his state. All they require in his state (If a transfer were to take place, is a paper trail between the assignee and assignor. No FFL, nothing. Just a "I transferred this weapon to joe schmoe" note, which each hold onto.

So I cant borrow his non banned weapon in his non ban state, drive it through Md and into another non banned state and shoot it? Correct?

saln

Dec 28, 2008
    No, you may not

Thank You.

So the only "transport" of an ak/ar in the WONDERFUL STATE of crapland, is only what is in my name. Nothing can be transported through, except your own, in your name, stuff. Got it. Gotta GTFO.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    When you get to the border check point they will check your papers and search your vehicle. If you happen to cross where there isn't a checkpoint. the drone scanners will spot them in your vehicle and within 10 minutes your vehicle will be surrounded.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Firstly , the hypothetical transfer in NC may be legal under NC law, but not Federal law . GCA requires all such transfers between residents of different states to be handled by FFL , in either state, AND for the transaction to be legal in both states . Obviously , it would not be legal for you under Maryland law .

If you were to * borrow * it within NC , that would be governed by NC law .

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    ...added.
    Firstly , the hypothetical transfer in NC may be legal under NC law, but not Federal law . GCA requires all such transfers between residents of different states to be handled by FFL , in either state, AND for the transaction to be legal in both states . Obviously , it would not be legal for you under Maryland law .

If you were to * borrow * it within NC , that would be governed by NC law . However, being a Maryland resident, you may not travel through Maryland with the "banned" firearm enroute to N.Y., or any other location.

saln

Dec 28, 2008
    11 years on this forum... and just now you're pissed?:sad20:[/QUOTE

I'm not pissed, just cant believe how pathetic the laws have become over the years. I've despised Md probably longer than you have been alive.

saln

Dec 28, 2008
    When you get to the border check point they will check your papers and search your vehicle. If you happen to cross where there isn't a checkpoint. the drone scanners will spot them in your vehicle and within 10 minutes your vehicle will be surrounded.

You failed to mention the steel penetrating x-ray device that can seek out and melt firearms without damaging your vehicle.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Thanks folks. I was just using NY as an example, I agree, I guess worse than Md...

I'm a Md resident and I know to split the firearm/ammo/mags up into different, unaccessable locations (no loaded mags) and have it all under lock and or cased when "traveling to the range". I was just wondering about a SO CALLED "assault weapons"..., that have never been on the Md books and just passing through, to wherever.

So, as a Md resident, is the following ok? To borrow a "potentially banned" rifle (ar ak) from a friend (in his name) and pass through Md with it say into WV, as long as everything is split up and locked and removed from easy access? Such worthless, pain in the ass laws that generate worthless, pain in the ass, bs questions...

No to the bolded portion.
    Ammo, mags, and firearms do not need to be separate.
    They do not need to be locked. Mags may be loaded.
    Enclosed case or holster is the law.
    Loaded mags may NOT be in the gun.
    This is for traveling in MD only and not crossing state lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom