• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    It's a real looker, in person. Winchester/Miroku (an example in the pic above with the Rossi) do great bluing, but the Brazilians have done a terrific job with these stainless versions.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks for "hosting" our shooting session Fidelity. I'm very happy with the quality, fit and finish of this rifle.

Fidelity's right about cycling the rifle. I found that the 158 grain GECO cycled the best. I looked at the 3 different bullet shapes. The Fiocchi 142 and the 38 SPL look to have the smallest size and they were more difficult to chamber. They chambered best when I cycled fast. Too slow and they'd jam. I had to open the tube magazine to let the spring out to get the tension off the rounds and clear the gun.

All the rounds had good strong primer strikes. Just by chance, I only recovered one of the spent Fiocchi rounds (pictured below) as I didn't shoot that many of them. The 38 SPL brass has some discoloring from heat on on side. They are all similar.

My 50 yard target results are not going to win any competitions. In retrospect, I should have used separate targets for each ammo type. While I looked at the result after each shot at the time, now I have little idea which strike is from which round. I think I surprised Fidelity when he realized I was shooting left handed after starting out right handed. I have pretty much the same result, shooting either side. LOL

Fiocchi
    FIOCCI 357.jpg

The GECO and 38 SPL brass
    GECO and 38 spl.jpg

The brass and the ammo boxes
    ammo box 2.jpg

Targets through the spotting scope
    scope target.jpg

The left side target
    target lt.jpg

The right side target
    target rt.jpg

The 38's did strike lower than the 357's. By the lower left groupings (if you can call those scatterings a grouping) I think I'm pushing my shoulder forward with the trigger pull. The bottom center-ish shots in the right side target are mostly my left hand shooting. Maybe I should stick to left hand shooting? LOL

If anyone has any questions or suggestions. I'd be happy to address both.

edit to add: The brass ejected nicely. Not going crazy like the snap caps I tested the other day.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    The link goes to a page with ROSSI M92 CARBINE 357 MAG/38 SPL 20" STAINLESS 10RD but says Rossi's R92 is a shorter, lighter carbine rifle.

Is there a M92 or are they all R92's.

Mike

MDS Supporter
    The link goes to a page with ROSSI M92 CARBINE 357 MAG/38 SPL 20" STAINLESS 10RD but says Rossi's R92 is a shorter, lighter carbine rifle.

Is there a M92 or are they all R92's.

The one you'll get from the link in this thread is a 20" stainless M92. The web page has an incorrect description on it, as it describes the R92.

Cornelius

Trust Me, I Sell Cars
    Mar 5, 2019
    MD
    Thanks for "hosting" our shooting session Fidelity. I'm very happy with the quality, fit and finish of this rifle.

Fidelity's right about cycling the rifle. I found that the 158 grain GECO cycled the best. I looked at the 3 different bullet shapes. The Fiocchi 142 and the 38 SPL look to have the smallest size and they were more difficult to chamber. They chambered best when I cycled fast. Too slow and they'd jam. I had to open the tube magazine to let the spring out to get the tension off the rounds and clear the gun.

All the rounds had good strong primer strikes. Just by chance, I only recovered one of the spent Fiocchi rounds (pictured below) as I didn't shoot that many of them. The 38 SPL brass has some discoloring from heat on on side. They are all similar.

My 50 yard target results are not going to win any competitions. In retrospect, I should have used separate targets for each ammo type. While I looked at the result after each shot at the time, now I have little idea which strike is from which round. I think I surprised Fidelity when he realized I was shooting left handed after starting out right handed. I have pretty much the same result, shooting either side. LOL

Fiocchi
    View attachment 253383

The GECO and 38 SPL brass
    View attachment 253384

The brass and the ammo boxes
    View attachment 253385

Targets through the spotting scope
    View attachment 253386

The left side target
    View attachment 253387

The right side target
    View attachment 253388

The 38's did strike lower than the 357's. By the lower left groupings (if you can call those scatterings a grouping) I think I'm pushing my shoulder forward with the trigger pull. The bottom center-ish shots in the right side target are mostly my left hand shooting. Maybe I should stick to left hand shooting? LOL

If anyone has any questions or suggestions. I'd be happy to address both.

edit to add: The brass ejected nicely. Not going crazy like the snap caps I tested the other day.

So in my search about this rifle centered on the brass it ejects, I overlooked this. I guess it is typical that the brass would bulge at the base, as is evident in your photos.

Mike

MDS Supporter
    Spent brass forensics?

So in my search about this rifle centered on the brass it ejects, I overlooked this. I guess it is typical that the brass would bulge at the base, as is evident in your photos.

You have a very good eye for details.

attachment.php

I had not noticed any bulges. Reexamining the brass now, I do see a crescent shaped bulge on most of the the Geco brass I picked up. It also turns out I have 2 of the Fiocchi casings. None of the 38 spl brass show any deformation. If you're looking for it in the photo, on the second and fourth casings from the left top, you can see the bulge .

The 2 Fiocchi do not show the bulge, and 2 of the Geco do not have it either.

Does this signify anything? I do not know.

Mr H

Banana'd
    You have a very good eye for details.

attachment.php

I had not noticed any bulges. Reexamining the brass now, I do see a crescent shaped bulge on most of the the Geco brass I picked up. It also turns out I have 2 of the Fiocchi casings. None of the 38 spl brass show any deformation. If you're looking for it in the photo, on the second and fourth casings from the left top, you can see the bulge .

The 2 Fiocchi do not show the bulge, and 2 of the Geco do not have it either.

Does this signify anything? I do not know.

Don't all 6 in the top left have varying deformations? Looks to me like the notch at the base is completely stretched out on several of the cases.

:shrug:

Mike

MDS Supporter
    Don't all 6 in the top left have varying deformations? Looks to me like the notch at the base is completely stretched out on several of the cases.

:shrug:

I’ll include more photos with different lighting and some unfired rounds for comparison. Please tell me if you see something that doesn’t look right.
    a55afb246f3f283daeb421f549ba47ae.jpg

eb7011a2a51c99ccc087c2e574085010.jpg

1cfe524f27e2f6c73486b42f33b467f0.jpg

1310ea7ee09a7c3b92cafc4ecf986b2a.jpg

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    It does look like you have a bulge and a curved scratch or crack forming.
    Have you you mic'd the cases to see how large the bulge is or checked inside with a paper clip or dental pick to see if a crack is forming there?
    A little bulge in a pistol case is no biggie, but those are not "normal" bulges you would see from a generous chamber.

Mike

MDS Supporter
    It does look like you have a bulge and a curved scratch or crack forming.
    Have you you mic'd the cases to see how large the bulge is or checked inside with a paper clip or dental pick to see if a crack is forming there?
    A little bulge in a pistol case is no biggie, but those are not "normal" bulges you would see from a generous chamber.

Thanks. No, don't reload and I don't have any precision measuring equipment. I do have a dental pick. I probed around inside the casing. I didn't feel anything catch.

Rossi USA provided me with a return label and I sent the rifle to them last week. I hope they care enough about their product and reputation to have skilled gunsmiths perform their warranty work. I hope they return a safe and well functioning rifle to me soon.

Last edited:

vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    The only problem I have with it is the buckhorn sight. I changed the front sight to a red fiber optic sight and the swapped out the rear for a a ring aperture fiber slight like the one in the picture below. It made a world of difference.

Target acquisition is much easier and faster, and the rear fiber optic helps with centering for long range hits on a gong.

s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg

I have trouble with the buckhorn sight as well. I was thinking about putting a red dot on it but I like the set-up you have. Where did you get this from? Was it a set or a combination on two different sights?

Thanks.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I have trouble with the buckhorn sight as well. I was thinking about putting a red dot on it but I like the set-up you have. Where did you get this from? Was it a set or a combination on two different sights?

Thanks.

I bought them from a vendor on eBay going by the handle Northwoods.
    I got the sights separately because the vendor didn't have a set appropriate for the rossi. I believe the front sight was from Brownells.

The vendor doesn't sell these anymore. Near as I can tell, they look like Williams Firesights This link is for the Ruger 10/22 but the design is similar.

https://williamsgunsight.com/product/williams-fire-sight-set-ruger-1022/

Oddly enough, Williams does sell the ghost ring aperture, but it sits on a different base. Here's an example

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...s-replacement-slide-ghost-ring-prod30914.aspx

It seems like the ebay vendor combined them together somehow. It's certainly unique, and works well on the Rossi.

ETA: Here's an expired listing for a Marlin. https://picclick.com/Ghost-Ring-Green-Red-Fiber-Optic-Sight-Set-fits-121906988320.html Hopefully you can use this to track it down.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I just put Marble's open flat top rear and gold bead front on mine. Rossi changed the dovetail to standard 3/8" over a decade ago.
    Hi-Viz makes insert front and rear sites that fit as well.

vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    I bought them from a vendor on eBay going by the handle Northwoods.
    I got the sights separately because the vendor didn't have a set appropriate for the rossi. I believe the front sight was from Brownells.

The vendor doesn't sell these anymore. Near as I can tell, they look like Williams Firesights This link is for the Ruger 10/22 but the design is similar.

https://williamsgunsight.com/product/williams-fire-sight-set-ruger-1022/

Oddly enough, Williams does sell the ghost ring aperture, but it sits on a different base. Here's an example

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...s-replacement-slide-ghost-ring-prod30914.aspx

It seems like the ebay vendor combined them together somehow. It's certainly unique, and works well on the Rossi.

ETA: Here's an expired listing for a Marlin. https://picclick.com/Ghost-Ring-Green-Red-Fiber-Optic-Sight-Set-fits-121906988320.html Hopefully you can use this to track it down.

Thank you for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom