• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • River Mud

Mar 19, 2013
    For anyone who still thinks that most of our reps have (in any way) our interests at heart on 2A issues, please read. I don't post this as a "poo poo" on our collective efforts or to try to convince anyone we are tilting at windmills. This is just what I heard in a conversation. It was pretty educational for me - not the concepts but the details.

Had an interesting conversation with an old friend who is a staffer for a delegate in the "Baltimore Delegation" the other day. She has very different ideas than I do about a great many things, but she also listens and learns (as do I). God bless the 1st amendment. She's a smart woman and I do trust her opinion on most topics, even if I fundamentally disagree.

Conversation turned to SB 281 and she became noticeably uncomfortable. I explained that my biggest surprise and disappointment was that the ENTIRE Baltimore delegation, who represent several diverse populations (economically, racially, businesses, etc), seemed to support SB281 without question or concern. She told me "You have no idea."

She explained to me that within that particular delegation, several problems occurred, and were glaringly obvious.

1. The reps simply did not read the bill. They literally did not know what was in it. They were not interested in reading it. Why?

2. The game was fixed by the first day of the Session. They were told that the Governor (former 2-term mayor of Baltimore, for those of you who don't know) expected their unequivocal support on his entire suite of "primary" legislation (SB281, gas tax, wind power, and whatever the other one was).

3. This, from the individual representative side, had little to nothing to do with "liberal ideology" or in most cases, a hatred of guns or 2A. It had little to do with being a Democrat. AND NOTHING TO DO WITH CRIME OR CRIME REDUCTION (we all knew that part already). It had everything to do with supporting the Governor, who they are convinced will be the next POTUS, and will send buckets of cash from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave (and numerous well-paid appointments!!!) as thanks. They honestly believe the Governor will be the next president.

4. In support of #3, above, numerous Reps, their adult children, and staffers all served in relatively prominent roles in the 2012 Obama campaign. I didn't know that. To hear my friend (a staunch Democrat) say it, it is all about individual political ascendancy, not about liberal ideology or the Democratic platform. This is the mindset with which the delegation approached SB 281 - "it's good for our careers, who cares about the Constitution or the law's effectiveness."

5. In support of #4, above, several of the Reps made it clear to their staff that their staff was "not to screw this up." This meant pretty clearly minimizing any off-the-cuff comments that showed anything less than full support for SB281. Any discussion in the offices (even "academic" "what if" questions) that veered slightly anti-SB281 were quickly stopped. I floated the idea that it also colored how the staffers handled citizen comments, requests, and questions, but all I got was a blank stare. :innocent0

6. She closed out her statements on SB281 by discussing the House reps specifically, that with the exception of Anderson (an attorney), most of these folks really lack the educational foundation to be writing, editing, and commenting on laws, and even the state senators seem to know this. She said that spending our time trying to educate them on why SB281 might not function correctly was a completely wasted effort because most of the reps simply do not understand what we are talking about.

Xander

Dec 6, 2010
    Jill Carter didn't vote against it, but she refused to show up to vote for it. I know it's not the same thing, but she stood on principal over the fingerprinting requirement and deserves a (qualified) measure of credit for it. Otherwise, you are dead on.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Pretty much what I believe. They only care about themselves and what they can get out of it along the way and they are too stupid to understand what they are dealing with even if they did care.

They sure can sleep and shop the internet well though.

River Mud

Mar 19, 2013
    I honestly assumed their blind compliance was out of subscription to overall liberal ideologies and theories about how the world works, and actually thought SB281 might have a positive impact on crime. That somehow, THEY BELIEVED they were serving their districts with the passage of SB281.

If that were true....I can deal with men and women who have bad ideas with good intentions. There's room for discussion and education there.

It's actually disappointing that I was so wrong in assuming all of that.

My first foray into "paying attention." Age 38.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    When one of the Balto City delegates (Tarrant?) announced that no one from the delegation was going to support the bill, then I knew for certain the fix was in. I had my suspicions following the Senate debacle, but actually expected more from the House. Shame on me!!!!

Won't happen again! 2014 can't come soon enough to get rid of these slugs.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    That sounds about right. The few responses I got from the Baltimore Delegation were clearly canned and did not address the bill or my comments on the bill. I am aware that these senators and delegates are considered a "lost cause" for our agenda. It would be nice however to concentrate on hitting them in the wallet since they are so concerned with money...even if is just for infringing on our civil rights.

RoccoRP87

Mar 22, 2013
    This is why we MUST break the Democrat stranglehold on Maryland politics. Without a healthy competing party power leads naturally to this kind of corruption and nepotism.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    attachment.jpg

face.jpg

another democrat at work.jpg

IMG_6852.jpg
    They absolutely need to be removed from office. For a long time baltimore has been a cancer on maryland polyticks.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I agree that the entire MD democratic party apparatus has deluded themselves into thinking that MOM is going to be the next President. Good luck with that. I think when the 2016 election season hits they will find out just how out of their league they are. O'Malley presents himself as a very poor and slow-minded public speaker, who literally seems to have a mild speech problem of some sort, and all kinds of skeletons in his past. The other dems will walk all over him in the primaries. Heck, he couldn't even convince the freaking Washington Post editorial board to endorse him instead of a Republican in his first election for governor.

He was also too dimwitted to realize that in three years when the knee-jerk furor over gun control is long, long, gone, he's going to need to explain to the blue dog dems about passing one of the most restrictive pieces of gun legislation in the country, in one of the already most restrictive states. And the death penalty repeal, well, "soft on crime" has never helped anybody win office. If a dem gets in the next time around O'Malley will be lucky to even get a second rate appointed job. Maybe he can be the Assistant Undersecretary for 'Media Relations.' ;)

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    I believe this is part of the Baltimore delegation April 2, 2013. During SB281 "debate"

Attachments

• delegates.jpg
      delegates.jpg
      66.4 KB · Views: 348

River Mud

Mar 19, 2013
    I agree that the entire MD democratic party apparatus has deluded themselves into thinking that MOM is going to be the next President. Good luck with that. I think when the 2016 election season hits they will find out just how out of their league they are. O'Malley presents himself as a very poor and slow-minded public speaker, who literally seems to have a mild speech problem of some sort, and all kinds of skeletons in his past. The other dems will walk all over him in the primaries.

He was also too dimwitted to realize that in three years when the knee-jerk furor over gun control is long, long, gone, he's going to need to explain to the blue dog dems about passing one of the most restrictive pieces of gun legislation in the country, in one of the already most restrictive states. And the death penalty repeal, well, "soft on crime" has never helped anybody win office. If a dem gets in the next time around O'Malley will be lucky to even get a second rate appointed job. Maybe he can be the Assistant Undersecretary for 'Media Relations.' ;)

Yes. All of that. As a pragmatic person, and one who holds some liberal ideas about some things, I literally don't understand why they would think MOM has a real chance. Everyone I know under the age of 50, even Democrats, laugh at the idea of MOM conducting a serious and legitimate presidential campaign.

But like you say, I know several older folks on O'Malley's staff and "they believe." Completely. They will follow him over the cliff.:sad20:

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    This is why we MUST break the Democrat stranglehold on Maryland politics. Without a healthy competing party power leads naturally to this kind of corruption and nepotism.

Secession.
    Too many people in the big 3. You have no way to compete. 63 votes, 71 required to pass anything.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I agree that the entire MD democratic party apparatus has deluded themselves into thinking that MOM is going to be the next President. Good luck with that. I think when the 2016 election season hits they will find out just how out of their league they are. O'Malley presents himself as a very poor and slow-minded public speaker, who literally seems to have a mild speech problem of some sort, and all kinds of skeletons in his past. The other dems will walk all over him in the primaries. Heck, he couldn't even convince the freaking Washington Post editorial board to endorse him instead of a Republican in his first election for governor.

Yeah, and if you told me Obama was going to be President in 2006, I would have laughed at you. Don't underestimate how stupid the populace is. All O'Malley needs is for Oprah or somebody else to back him and good Lord, God help us all.

Nah, I don't think this country is going to come to its senses until things get really, really, really bad.

Baltimore has been a cancer on this state for a while, and it is only getting worse. Followed by PG and I am going to guess that in 20 to 30 years Montgomery County will be right there too. I lived in Montgomery County for 39 years, and the decay is pretty evident there. For some reason, the cancer starts in the inner cities and moves outward. For some reason, we cannot figure out how to get rid of it. Might have to do with the cancer getting a free meal from its host, and then moving furhter outward. This cancer will easily spread from DC to Baltimore. Might take a little longer to move from Baltimore to Philadelphia.

Until the majority of Americans really, really, really hurt and there is no more free bread, people will continue to spend their time and money on entertainment.

Thought I moved far enough away from the cancerous cells to buy some time, but it doesn't even look like western Maryland or the Eastern shore is safe from this cancer.

To hear that this is politics is depressing, but not surprising because the majority just does not care.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yes. All of that. As a pragmatic person, and one who holds some liberal ideas about some things, I literally don't understand why they would think MOM has a real chance. Everyone I know under the age of 50, even Democrats, laugh at the idea of MOM conducting a serious and legitimate presidential campaign.

But like you say, I know several older folks on O'Malley's staff and "they believe." Completely. They will follow him over the cliff.:sad20:

As I said, if you told me in 2006 that Obama was going to be our President in January 2009, I would have asked you "Who the heck is Obama?"

The 2nd Amendment issue is a small issue to most people. Only way we are going to get a change in politics in this state is if people are really hurting in their wallets.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I don't care, all I know is that I am not going to have to pay for gas anymore, I'm not gonna have to pay rent, and MoM is going to buy me a house. I can't wait to be getting that Oooo'Malley Money!!!

That's how Baltimore Demorats think!

paulstitz

Jun 19, 2010
    Cockeysville
    Can the City delegation be turned in 2014? I am afraid the majority of voters have the same problems as described in #6 of the OP.

6. She closed out her statements on SB281 by discussing the House reps specifically, that with the exception of Anderson (an attorney), most of these folks really lack the educational foundation to be writing, editing, and commenting on laws, and even the state senators seem to know this. She said that spending our time trying to educate them on why SB281 might not function correctly was a completely wasted effort because most of the reps simply do not understand what we are talking about.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom