• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    Best option for a pistol to buy into the platform... Cheap magazines ultra reliable easy to shoot well fun and accurate for the range...

List your Top 3 options please.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Go to a local gun store, or better yet a range where you can rent, and pick up a Sig 226/229 or a Glock 17/19.

That's about most of what anyone will need. Yes there are other decent guns out there.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Anyone can recommend a pistol, but if you can't comfortably and/or accurately shoot it you just wasted a lot of time and money. Rent a bunch of pistols and pick the one that you can shoot well.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Take the suggested pistols into consideration and rent/shoot them. Research and shoot other designs/makes of handguns as well. You will know when you found the one which is right for you.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I’m looking for recommendations on a pair of shoes. Ok, lace up for dress, loafers for casual ( semi auto vs revolver). Beyond that you would want to try them on and look at style, quality and price. Most if the better known brands make good guns and will take care of problems. Do your self a big favor and find a range that rents guns. Try different guns. what do u like ? Go home and read reviews. Narrow it down. Years ago i wanted a 9; all i had were 45s, .380s and a 40. I was fortunate enough to be able to demo a beretta, a glock and a sig 226, the latter i still have after 20+ yrs. caliber is up to you, but for economy and ease on your hand, a 9 is a good choice, and it works for defending the hearth. If you have an instructor’s ear available, it would be beneficial to discuss different platforms, because there is single action, like the 1911s, double/ single, like the sig 226 i have , and striker fired...generally no external hammer. To add, there is also budget. Some 1911 9s can cost $2-3k; a glock can cost $500 and a sig $800. There are bargains in used guns. I agree with Bigfoot, don’t go tiny. You won’t enjoy it as a range gun. Save it for legal concealed carry.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Implied basic criteria - 9mm semiauto , of non tiny variety

Used Glocks are a best prices at the moment, mags are ubetiqous .

Of the same general configuration , decent prices, pretty common mags are also S&W M&P , and Springfield XDm . Fondle , and preferably shoot each , to see if one of them feels particularly good, or particularly bad to you . If none of the striker fired pistols really trips your trigger ( pun intended ) , get back with us, and we'll make suggestions for DA/ SA .

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Sig Sauer P320

Sig P320. You can choose whichever grip module fits your hand, not to mention all the other combinations available for the P320 platform.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Give thought also to spare part availability. I’m in the midst of reconditioning projects for 2 LEO TradeIn sigs I bought from Lou and had to wait over 8 weeks for a couple of parts.

From a parts availability and accessory standpoint I wish I shot Glocks better than I do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Anyone can recommend a pistol, but if you can't comfortably and/or accurately shoot it you just wasted a lot of time and money. Rent a bunch of pistols and pick the one that you can shoot well.

Yep.

This AND all pistols have a learning curve:. 1911s are single action only with a thumb safety and don't like limp writing, Sig's have a long DA first shot and no external safety, Glocks have a weird grip angle and make you look like a joiner with no imagination or style(kidding :) )

Any pistol from a reputable company: Smith, Springer, Colt, Glock, Ruger, Sig etc will be very reliable and well built, just find the one that you shoot well.

Get renting

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    We are in the golden age of quality firearms. Glock/CZ/Sig/Walther all make great handguns. It seems like over the last 7 years as soon as I thought I didn't need another gun, I found one that fit even better than what I had.

As far as actual recommendations: Glock 17/19......Sig P320... buy used. There are great deals out there. I would definitely recommend renting a few at a range and determine what fits your grip best.

cb51

I no longer have range guns, and haven't for quite a few years. All my handguns are of the small concealed carry type, and for home defense I use shot guns. Have two Ruger LCP's for daily carry, and if I have pants on, theres an LCP in a pocket. Next to the bed is a small Mossberg pump 20 gauge with buckshot in the tube. A spare Mossy is behind the trash can in the garage.

My handgun is for fighting my way to the shotgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom