• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peaceful John

May 31, 2011
    How else might this case be decided other than by implicating strict scrutiny? Until another J. Gorsuch arrives, that might be a bridge too far. From a lay perspective, Silvester will probably bounce around a while but ultimately be denied cert.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    That tells me you think something is being written?

*If* there is a relist. There has already been a request for the record, which may be telling, especially since that request was actually before the case was actually considered at conference. If we get a relist (as opposed to a reschedule), then *something* may be getting written.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    It wasn't relisted, but we did get a dissent from denial written by Thomas

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/022018zor_fd9g.pdf

No one else joined the dissent, which is curious.

This passage is interesting:
    I suspect that four Members of this Court would vote to review a 10-day waiting period for abortions, notwithstanding a State’s purported interest in creating a “cooling off ” period.

I am taking from this that Kennedy is not the only problem justice here.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

Unfortunately we don't know if perhaps another justice voted to hear the case but didn't join the dissent?
    I thought this was a long shot to begin with and I was surprised we even got the dissent.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Just the dissent, if you don't want to look at the first 34 pages of the Orders List.

Attachments

• 17-342_4hd5.pdf
      95.7 KB · Views: 503

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016

I've long suspected Roberts is firmly on the side of the left on this issue as well. He cares too much about being invited to Georgetown cocktail parties. He's a piece of garbage.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    There is a big difference between ruling against the Second Amendment and deciding to not rule on it at all.
    I think Roberts is the issue because he does not want to appear political.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    There is a big difference between ruling against the Second Amendment and deciding to not rule on it at all.

I've heard this argument ad nauseam over the past 7 years and I don't agree. On an individual basis, yes. But when the lower courts are engaging in a massive resistance to SCOTUS precedent, and the Supreme Court continually denies cert, on EVERY SINGLE case, it has the effect of telling the lower courts to keep going on doing what they're doing. That then becomes the law, even if the Supreme Court doesn't say so.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    As I read it Thomas really lashed out at 9CA and SCOTUS as well. He let go with both barrels and it seemed he was really pissed at this as well. I wonder what really went on behind the scene last week with this in conference also did the shooting in FL change some mindes on this to deny cert as well. I also cant help but think Roberts is trying to take the whole court to the left and screw the right.. Congress needs to intervene but of course they wont

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Although the underlying issue (waiting period) didn't seem ripe at this time, the 9ths use of intermediate scrutiny should have at least been enough for a do over and force the state to at least back up their claims that this was narrowly tailored.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    I've heard this argument ad nauseam over the past 7 years and I don't agree. On an individual basis, yes. But when the lower courts are engaging in a massive resistance to SCOTUS precedent, and the Supreme Court continually denies cert, on EVERY SINGLE case, it has the effect of telling the lower courts to keep going on doing what they're doing. That then becomes the law, even if the Supreme Court doesn't say so.

I will say this if my New York taser case loses at the trial court and Second Circuit and the Supreme Court does not take it I will agree with you in light of Caetano

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012

When the lower courts are nearly unanimous against the 2nd Amendment, no, there isn't a "big difference" between ruling against the 2nd Amendment and remaining silent in the face of those lower court decisions.

There is a small practical effect: remaining silent leaves open the possibility of later support for the 2nd Amendment. But that practical effect is nonexistent for however long the Court remains silent.

Moreover, if the Court remains silent long enough, then it bootstraps the lower court decisions into "Constitutionality" because it makes those decisions "longstanding".

It's time to face up to the real world. At this point, we have lost, and we will have no hope from this point forward until the Court's composition changes massively in our favor.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    I will say this if my New York taser case loses at the trial court and Second Circuit and the Supreme Court does not take it I will agree with you in light of Caetano

The Supreme Court is willing to throw the TASER bone to make it look like they're doing their jobs. I wouldn't read much into that.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I'm betting the entire problem is Kennedy, no one wants to grant cert without knowing they have five to rule in their favor. A wishy-washy loose cannon would be disastrous.

Thomas is willing to tell it like it is, everyone else is in hiding and either waiting until Kennedy retires or praying Ginsburg doesn't fall down the stairs until a D is back at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I'm betting the entire problem is Kennedy, no one wants to grant cert without knowing they have five to rule in their favor. A wishy-washy loose cannon would be disastrous.

Thomas is willing to tell it like it is, everyone else is in hiding and either waiting until Kennedy retires or praying Ginsburg doesn't fall down the stairs until a D is back at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

I find it interesting that they (except for Thomas!) ignored this case. It was a great opportunity to remand it back and tell the lower court to try again. The SC Justices would not have to make the eventual ruling, let the lower courts do the work for them. The question is why do they let this go on this way? Why not force the lower courts to do the work for them. It could be done nice and slow, incrementally, and keep the SCOUS on the side lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom