• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • putterboy2

Aug 9, 2013
    I haven't bought a firearm in a while so haven't kept up entirely on what's OK anymore, but have seen this model for sale in an auction. It appears to be the NM model with 20" heavy barrel, no flash suppressor, no bayonet lug, full A2 configuration. Am I correct that these are still legal to buy in MD? BTW, I shoot NM Service Rifle, so this is the correct gun for the task, notwithstanding the recent move to scopes. Thanks for any responses.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I haven't bought a firearm in a while so haven't kept up entirely on what's OK anymore, but have seen this model for sale in an auction. It appears to be the NM model with 20" heavy barrel, no flash suppressor, no bayonet lug, full A2 configuration. Am I correct that these are still legal to buy in MD? BTW, I shoot NM Service Rifle, so this is the correct gun for the task, notwithstanding the recent move to scopes. Thanks for any responses.

It depends on how you interpret this:
    a04348fdfeb95066972da1a78c9a5ad2.jpg

I'd say no go.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Banned! Maryland law makes absolutely no sense! The only difference between the Bushmaster receiver and the rest is the name! I have 2 Bushmaster NM rifles and if I ever decide to sell, they have to be sold to someone out of state. Effectively the state removed all value of my property within the state, in regards to these two!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    MSP knew perfectly well for many years that the "Bushmaster" named in the ban list is a specific rifle not manufactured in years, and NOT any sort of AR15.

MSP knows that Bushmaster BRAND HBAR AR15 rifles were sold cash and carry, no waiting period, for years and years and years here in Maryland.

Only AFTER 2013 did the MSP inexplicably and without justification decide to pretend that the banned Bushmaster refered to any product with that brand name, in defiance of their long standing recognition that Bushmaster brand HBARs were unregulated.

I think they did this, or were told to do it, out of pure spiteful mean spiritedness.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    MSP knew perfectly well for many years that the "Bushmaster" named in the ban list is a specific rifle not manufactured in years, and NOT any sort of AR15.

MSP knows that Bushmaster BRAND HBAR AR15 rifles were sold cash and carry, no waiting period, for years and years and years here in Maryland.

Only AFTER 2013 did the MSP inexplicably and without justification decide to pretend that the banned Bushmaster refered to any product with that brand name, in defiance of their long standing recognition that Bushmaster brand HBARs were unregulated.

I think they did this, or were told to do it, out of pure spiteful mean spiritedness.

Possibly! It could have been the fact that Bushmaster settled lawsuits instead of fighting them too!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I think a whole lot had to do with the ‘sniper’ shootings.
    Banning any firearm with the Bushmaster name was the pc thing to do. The masses don’t have a clue about level of ignorance displayed by the politicians on the subject.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I think a whole lot had to do with the ‘sniper’ shootings.
    Banning any firearm with the Bushmaster name was the pc thing to do. The masses don’t have a clue about level of ignorance displayed by the politicians on the subject.

Yes but the "sniper" shootings were in 2002. Bushmaster HBARs were sold cash and carry until 2014.

I honestly suspect someone (Frosh or Miller?), filled with spite, wanted to "punish" us for our effrontery in giving them such a hard time over FSA 2013.

Perhaps not, but I see the same sort of spitefulness in the new, more strict policies and procedures inflicted on us, apparently as punishment, following the Woolard decision.

Last edited:

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

That's ok - Windham weaponry IS Bushmaster and they are not banned; so we get to have our cake and eat it too. :party29:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That's ok - Windham weaponry IS Bushmaster and they are not banned; so we get to have our cake and eat it too. :party29:

The OP can't buy the HBAR target rifle he saw on auction. Another poster in this thread has two HBAR target rifles he can't sell.

There must be thousands of Bushmaster HBARs here in Maryland which were purchased unregulated, which are being falsely treated as banned when they should not be.

At least none of them are "registered", because, ha-ha!, MSP knows perfectly well they were never on the ban list.

This is just trashy, low-life, four-flushing spitefulness on the part of somebody, either in the MSP, or giving orders to the MSP.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    This is the Bushmaster rifle banned by name in the List which was drawn up about 1988 or 1989:

wooden.JPG

and the bullpup version.

2675222_01_gwinn_bushmaster_arm_pistol_640.jpg

You see it is not an AR.

It is sort of an AK or Galil Clone that uses AR mags.

Maryland State Police knows this perfectly well. That's why thousands upon thousands of Bushmaster BRAND AR15 HBARs were sold in Maryland over about a 20 year period, cash and carry, no waiting period.

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Yes but the "sniper" shootings were in 2002. Bushmaster HBARs were sold cash and carry until 2014.

I honestly suspect someone (Frosh or Miller?), filled with spite, wanted to "punish" us for our effrontery in giving them such a hard time over FSA 2013.

Perhaps not, but I see the same sort of spitefulness in the new, more strict policies and procedures inflicted on us, apparently as punishment, following the Woolard decision.

The 2002 shootings are those I am referring to. This law threw the Bushmaster name in it because of that.

I agree there is vidictive wrath thrown about when political figures and groups are defeated. One of the worse was Governor Donald Shaffer. That truly was a politcal bully.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The 2002 shootings are those I am referring to. This law threw the Bushmaster name in it because of that.

No, No, No, No!!!!!!!!!

The Bushmaster HBARs were sold cash and carry for years and years and years and years AFTER 2002, just like Rock River HBARs, Colt HBARs, etc

The change came AFTER FSA2013 went into effect.

The entirely different, non- AR "Bushmaster" MODEL rifle was put on The List by California Senator Diane Feinstein, way the hell back in 1988.

Please go back and READ what I have written.

The List was created in 1988, in California.

The List refers to an entirely different rifle, not to a brand name.

Maryland State Police knew that perfectly well, and always treated Bushmaster BRAND Heavy Barrel AR 15s as unregulated.

The 2002 " sniper" shootings occurred more than 11 years before the extra-legal change in interpretation.

Bushmasters continued to be sold as unregulated until AFTER the 2013 law went into effect.

I first became aware of the improper, unprecedented, extra-legal misinterpretation early in 2014.

Again, MSP knows perfectly well that the banned Bushmaster is the unique rifle in the photographs I posted above. The MSP knows perfectly well that the List does not refer to AR 15s manufactured and branded by a company named "Bushmaster."

I suspect this deliberate, willfull, obvious and demonstrable misinterpretation, in utter defiance of MSPs precedent and long-standing practice, reflects something like malicious spitefullness on the part of some influential person.

Whether or not that is true, the change obviously has NOTHING to do with any events in 2002, 12 years earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom