• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    It could also be that people are particularly sensitive to breaking one of many very confusing laws, and figure they can come here and maybe get answers based on the law, not based on misguided fears.

If he isn't transferring ownership, his friend does not need a triple locked super secret box to be legal... Assuming he is otherwise not precluded from owning a firearm. Why does that answer have to have all kinds of 'but you probably shouldn't' surrounding it.

Our laws are tough enough without adding even more restrictions than already exist...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nowhere in my reply did I say “but you probably shouldn’t”. And he asked the question...I didn’t. And your assuming a lot about his friend that’s not even been stated. What’s your beef?

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    Nowhere in my reply did I say “but you probably shouldn’t”. And he asked the question...I didn’t. And your assuming a lot about his friend that’s not even been stated. What’s your beef?
    I was truly not trying to be argumentative, and should have been more specific when referring to other responses than yours.

His initial question asked if he could legally do it. Many of the answers seemed to indicate that it was automatically illegal without an HQL, and that's just incorrect.

If people want to come in and ask (or even troll) for information (mis-information), I feel they should be given the answer to their question. He seemed to be the subject of misinformation before he came to the forum, based on his assumption that what he proposed was not legal, and that misinformation was further reinforced in several posts.

That's my only beef, and it's not with you. Apologies if it seemed otherwise.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    how about keeping it in your car? you can bolt down a handgun safe/box or get a TSA legal one with steel cable you can thread thru something structural in your car/trunk. i have one similar to below and benefit is you can also use it if you want to fly with your gun.

not a merrylander, but think as long as handgun is unloaded and separated from ammo and certainly locked in trunk, you'd be legal. sure someone will speak up if that is not legal. now, you prob don't want to drive in DC that way.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...ge/gun-safes/keyed-lock-boxes-prod105225.aspx

and regarding family not wanting guns, take them out to the range one day, show them how fun it is, and safe. can start with skeet shooting maybe, or rent a .22. if they see how fun shooting is, and that you follow very strict safety protocols, perhaps they'll relax or change their views on firearms, and perhaps even change their voting and mindset from anti to pro-gun.

good luck!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    how about keeping it in your car? you can bolt down a handgun safe/box or get a TSA legal one with steel cable you can thread thru something structural in your car/trunk. i have one similar to below and benefit is you can also use it if you want to fly with your gun.

not a merrylander, but think as long as handgun is unloaded and separated from ammo and certainly locked in trunk, you'd be legal. sure someone will speak up if that is not legal. now, you prob don't want to drive in DC that way.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...ge/gun-safes/keyed-lock-boxes-prod105225.aspx

and regarding family not wanting guns, take them out to the range one day, show them how fun it is, and safe. can start with skeet shooting maybe, or rent a .22. if they see how fun shooting is, and that you follow very strict safety protocols, perhaps they'll relax or change their views on firearms, and perhaps even change their voting and mindset from anti to pro-gun.

good luck!

This would be illegal in MD UNLESS he was transporting the handgun under one of the allowable activities. (Range, to a gunshop, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Basically you would be loaning your firearm to your friend which "should" be fine as long as your friend already has a handgun license. If not, it's a big No No.

Please stop posting incorrect information. There is NO requirement to have an HQL to be in possession of a handgun. The HQL is for PURCHASE of a handgun.
    The one thing that the OP would need to know is that nobody in the friend's house would have access if they are prohibited.
    Just read more, sounds like the OP is going to wait.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Surprised nobody mentioned storing your UNLOADED weapon, without ammo, in a bank safety deposit box. You have control and access. Usually pay a quarterly fee. See article.

Attachments

• 21C0A555-AF99-4E31-BAF6-7D5C36E27190.jpg
      21C0A555-AF99-4E31-BAF6-7D5C36E27190.jpg
      46 KB · Views: 165

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Please stop posting incorrect information. There is NO requirement to have an HQL to be in possession of a handgun. The HQL is for PURCHASE of a handgun.
    The one thing that the OP would need to know is that nobody in the friend's house would have access if they are prohibited.

A lot of the issue is confusion over the term “possession” and “receive”. Technically if you store a weapon at a friends house he received it and is in possession of it. A slippery slope to tread on. What if that friend had the police come in on an entirely different matter and found the weapon? Would you want to be that friend and take that chance with all the other options available? Just wondering.

Attachments

• 8F5574AC-4583-4137-B3E4-CF1E55B8C915.jpg
      8F5574AC-4583-4137-B3E4-CF1E55B8C915.jpg
      102.7 KB · Views: 164

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016

This controversial law was Governor O’Malley’s gun control package, Senate Bill 281, Firearm Safety Act of 2013 and passed on February 21, 2013 by a 7-4 vote in the dark of the night.

Page 13, 5-101
    (O) “Handgun Qualification License” means a license issued by the secretary that authorizes a person to purchase, rent, or receive a handgun.

Page 16, 5-117.1.
    (A) A dealer or any other person may not sell, rent, or transfer a regulated firearm to a purchaser, lessee, or transferee unless the purchaser, lessee, or transferee presents to the dealer or other person a valid regulated firearm qualification license issued to the purchaser, lessee, or transferee by the secretary under this section.
    (B) A person may purchase, rent, or receive a handgun only if the person: (1) Possesses a valid handgun qualification license issued to the person by the secretary in accordance with this section; and (2) Is not otherwise prohibited from purchasing or possessing a handgun under state or federal law.

There's an old legal saying “everything is legal unless prohibited”.

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    This controversial law was Governor O’Malley’s gun control package, Senate Bill 281, Firearm Safety Act of 2013 and passed on February 21, 2013 by a 7-4 vote in the dark of the night.

Page 13, 5-101
    (O) “Handgun Qualification License” means a license issued by the secretary that authorizes a person to purchase, rent, or receive a handgun.

Page 16, 5-117.1.
    (A) A dealer or any other person may not sell, rent, or transfer a regulated firearm to a purchaser, lessee, or transferee unless the purchaser, lessee, or transferee presents to the dealer or other person a valid regulated firearm qualification license issued to the purchaser, lessee, or transferee by the secretary under this section.
    (B) A person may purchase, rent, or receive a handgun only if the person: (1) Possesses a valid handgun qualification license issued to the person by the secretary in accordance with this section; and (2) Is not otherwise prohibited from purchasing or possessing a handgun under state or federal law.

If you look under the FAQ section on the MSP site, under the HQL drop down, it clarifies that an HQL is only needed to purchase, rent or transfer.
    Lending a gun to someone without an HQL is not inherently illegal.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    If you look under the FAQ section on the MSP site, under the HQL drop down, it clarifies that an HQL is only needed to purchase, rent or transfer.
    Lending a gun to someone without an HQL is not inherently illegal.

I'm not quarreling with anyone I'm just pointing out what the law states and what prosecutors will use if you're ever arrested. A judge isn't going to allow a defense based on the MSP website. The law is terrible, it's ambiguous, inaccurate and nonsensical. Any gun owner who reads it, want's to start banging his head against the walls. With that said, interpret as you see fit.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Page 13, 5-101

Page 16, 5-117.1.

Until different legislation is passed, a loan is not considered a transfer.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    Until different legislation is passed, a loan is not considered a transfer.

“Handgun Qualification License” means a license issued by the secretary that authorizes a person to purchase, rent, or receive a handgun. No mention of transfer but it does state "receive". Receive definition: to be a recipient, to accept, to take, to come into possession i.e. loan or borrow among others.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but I definitely wouldn't hang my 2nd Amendment privileges on your interpretation. Prosecutors will not see it your way as these laws are written as a vehicle to target gun owners IMO. With that said, none of us can afford to view these laws with rose-tinted spectacles. Peace!

Glocko

Mar 14, 2018
    Sorry for starting any quarrel here, as stated before I am just going to wait until I have my own apartment as I do not want to accidentally break a law. With the law and it's interpretation being up to a matter of Opinion I feel that this is my best route to take. Again thank you all for the advice.

PS: Maryland law is just overly complicated

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    Sorry for starting any quarrel here, as stated before I am just going to wait until I have my own apartment as I do not want to accidentally break a law. With the law and it's interpretation being up to a matter of Opinion I feel that this is my best route to take. Again thank you all for the advice.

PS: Maryland law is just overly complicated

No quarrel and quit peaceful compared to some that Ive seen. You raised a very good question which have different interpretations. Good stuff!!!

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    “Handgun Qualification License” means a license issued by the secretary that authorizes a person to purchase, rent, or receive a handgun. No mention of transfer but it does state "receive". Receive definition: to be a recipient, to accept, to take, to come into possession i.e. loan or borrow among others.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but I definitely wouldn't hang my 2nd Amendment privileges on your interpretation. Prosecutors will not see it your way as these laws are written as a vehicle to target gun owners IMO. With that said, none of us can afford to view these laws with rose-tinted spectacles. Peace!
    From the MD Annotated code through July 1, 2016.

It is talking about transfers.

I don't need colored glasses to read the code.
    afc029cc4a975e17a5464267bc2948c8.jpg

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    No quarrel and quit peaceful compared to some that Ive seen. You raised a very good question which have different interpretations. Good stuff!!!
    And yes! No offense meant to anyone! If I am wrong, I'll admit it and thank you for the knowledge.

Cheers to all, as we agonize over getting it right...

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

2nd Amendment privileges?
    Holy shit! You've been in Maryland way too long!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom