• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I am contemplating adding a red dot to my Keltec sub2k. Really considering the Vortex Sparc II. I like the 2 moa dot, and the Vortex warranty. I also like that Dicks carries it and I have a gift card for there...

was also considering the Sig Romeo 5 but I don't see much difference in the 2. The Romeo 5 does seem to allow for better co-witness of the iron(plastic) sights.

Any thoughts or advice pro/con? Red Lion has a forend that allows the red dot to stay attached and simply rotate out of the way so the sub2k will still fold, which is what I think I am going to use.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    I've shot both and they are both solid options. The one thing I like with the Sig is the motion activated on/off so if you had to be ready in a hurry you wouldn't have to be taking the little extra time to turn the scope on.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Call direct or through 3rd party?

Disregard called customer service

Last edit.......for those in the program Experticity vortex goes back online tomorrow

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Experticity has vortex back up as of now. The Sparc 2 is a great price but their shipping sucks. Saved 25 bucks after taxes and shipping.

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    I'm glad you were able to get a little something off. Was that $25 off total from a third party or 25 off from the retail price?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'm glad you were able to get a little something off. Was that $25 off total from a third party or 25 off from the retail price?

The Sparc 2 sells for 199 at PSA and Optics Planet and everywhere offers free shipping. I got it for $175 after taxes and shipping (175 was the grand total). The LEO price is around 155 before shipping and taxes.

They have it listed as full MSRP ($259) and then apply the LEO discount. Full on marketing ploy but the 25 bucks off everywhere else price (after taxes and shipping) was enough to sway me. Plus after shooting it with 3Paul10 and DJones i immediately decided a red dot was mandatory

Oh and my bad for the rambling it was from experticity (formerly promotive)

They only do vortex LEO through experticity according to customer service today. I was impressed i got a human ASAP andnot 900 teleprompts. If your not a member of experticity do it, it’s free and now kinda a PIA to sign up, used to be way easier. As i recall Mr Turtle you’re eligible

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    I can’t look into the Experticity for awhile. I’m trying to fund other projects now and I’m afraid it’ll be too much temptation.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    thank you, I am going to give the Sparc II a try. if it doesn't work out on my sub2k, I have another place I can use it.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Guess I'm late here but I've had a Sparc gen 1 for years. Good red dot but battery life ain't great. I just went with the Sig Romeo 5xdr for my AR pistol build and like it better. Battery life should rival an Aimpoint with the motion activation and it has two reticles, a 2moa dot and a 65moa circle dot.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Guess I'm late here but I've had a Sparc gen 1 for years. Good red dot but battery life ain't great. I just went with the Sig Romeo 5xdr for my AR pistol build and like it better. Battery life should rival an Aimpoint with the motion activation and it has two reticles, a 2moa dot and a 65moa circle dot.

not too late, I have not made a move yet. thanks for the info.

CGrant726

Feb 24, 2009
    North Harford Co
    Provengo is another company that offers discounts on some Vortex stuff. Police, fire, military qualify. A lot of other brands as well. Just a heads up for those that are eligible.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I love vortex spitfire 1x, in the case that you have astigmatism.

I almost got a sparc 2 but my slight astigmatism swayed me. for the price compared to the trijicon mro or more expensive options, you cant beat it.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have a SPITFIRE on my Colt AR6721 (prism scope with an etched reticle) and a SPARC AR red dot on my AR pistol. The SPITFIRE dot is illuminated but visible w/o power, and there is no star effect like you get with a red dot. The SPARC AR red dot however is smaller and lighter. I like both.

Attachments

• DSC_0043.jpg
      DSC_0043.jpg
      102.3 KB · Views: 102
    • 20170301_195954.jpg
      20170301_195954.jpg
      90.8 KB · Views: 104

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I have a SPITFIRE on my Colt AR6721 (prism scope with an etched reticle) and a SPARC AR red dot on my AR pistol. The SPITFIRE dot is illuminated but visible w/o power, and there is no star effect like you get with a red dot. The SPARC AR red dot however is smaller and lighter. I like both.

I have both of these as well as the Romeo 5x.

Sparc AR is good, I like the rubber cover and attached caps. Price is very good, eBay has them for $140 or so.

Romeo 5x is very nice and I like the brightness adjustment button location better than the Sparc or Spitfire. The battery life is great and the motion activation is even better.

Spitfire is bigger and heavier but has a much better reticle than the other two. This is what I use on my 3 gun rifle.

Vortex warranty can’t be beat so that should be considered if you are hard on your gear. I really wish that Vortex would update their red dot range with better battery life and the motion activation. The answer would be very simple if they did that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom