• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Another cost saver is in regards to those utility trailers. Anything under 2000 pds in Maine is not titled. As in no title fee. Ran into that issue selling one here in MD. DMV was stopping sale as my trailer was not titled. I provided email of Maine DMV along with Maine applicable regulations to clear it all up. Was a Maine resident who moved here and didn't use trailer in MD.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    But a trailer isn't a vehicle? I did some reading before I put the Maine tags on my trailer. Seemed pretty damn safe.

We've debated this before, some people site that the law is for commercial vehicles. Others say it applies to everyone.

What states the law is for commercial only?

Here's what I find in 13-402:
    f) A trailer or semitrailer operated in intrastate service need not be registered in this State if:
    (1) It is registered in another state;
    (2) The truck tractor or other vehicle that is towing it is registered in this State; and
    (3) The registered owner of the truck tractor or other towing vehicle has at least one trailer or semitrailer registered in this State for each truck tractor also registered in this State.

Define "Truck Tractor". Seems to refer to a commercial vehicle to me. I don't have a "Truck Tractor", I have a pick-up truck registered in MD in my name, not a commercial vehicle. Of course the code does say "or other vehicle".

Funny, I just sent away from Maine tags for my trailer yesterday. Maybe I need to stop payment on the check.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    I can't see how dnr would be involved with trailer registration. They do go after boats registered in Delaware that are sitting on md tagged trailers behind md tagged trucks on occasion

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    so, our cub scout pack is about to buy a utility trailer for hauling camping gear.

I was thinking of registering it in Maine for the lower cost to the Pack. Am I asking for problems?

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Well I've parked my Maine registered trailer at 4 different ramps this year, had DNR at two, checking on catches. Neither cared or looked at tags. I'll keep my maine tags.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Well I've parked my Maine registered trailer at 4 different ramps this year, had DNR at two, checking on catches. Neither cared or looked at tags. I'll keep my maine tags.

That's good to hear. Maybe it was proven in court that this isn't against the law and they stopped with the citations.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Another cost saver is in regards to those utility trailers. Anything under 3000 lbs in Maine is not titled. As in no title fee. Ran into that issue selling one here in MD. DMV was stopping sale as my trailer was not titled. I provided email of Maine DMV along with Maine applicable regulations to clear it all up. Was a Maine resident who moved here and didn't use trailer in MD.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

FIFY - My utility trailer weighs 2,990 lbs. I wanted to title it (because it is still on the original MSO), but they would not take my money.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    The issue is if you are a Maryland registered driver. All of your vehicles (trailers included) need to be registered in MD. This really isn't new news or law, it's just they are stepping up enforcement.

The law states "motor vehicles" how many boat trailers have motors?

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Has anyone here actually been cited for running their trailer on a Maine tag? If so, how much was the fine? I am guessing no points on your license?

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    That's good to hear. Maybe it was proven in court that this isn't against the law and they stopped with the citations.

Honestly, it's the last thing they're gonna look at. They have so much poaching, unsafe boat handling, and utter disrespect for our natural resources to deal with that I don't think they're gonna take time to go after the tags. Maybe one or two officers are asked to do so, but with it or holding up in court, there's no point. Just run the Maine tags is you want, I don't see them caring.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Just run the Maine tags is you want, I don't see them caring.

It's not an issue, until it's an issue. Enough abuse and the politicians will write a law then all Maine tagged trailers owned by MD residents will need to be inspected and tagged in MD. I figure this will happen about 6 months after I change to Maine tags.

Currently I'm paying $160 for a two year tag for a trailer that gets used maybe twice a year. Maine tags are tempting.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    It's not an issue, until it's an issue. Enough abuse and the politicians will write a law then all Maine tagged trailers owned by MD residents will need to be inspected and tagged in MD. I figure this will happen about 6 months after I change to Maine tags.

Currently I'm paying $160 for a two year tag for a trailer that gets used maybe twice a year. Maine tags are tempting.

What do you really have to lose by trying? I think it cost me $120 for a 5 year tag. Like you, I rarely use the trailer and the chances of being cited are slim. Even if it does happen, I can not imagine the ticket being more than $100 which I will have already saved by not needing an inspection.

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    One thing to note about Maine trailer tags is that they have no weight associated with them. This makes them similar to a semi trailer tag in that all the trailer weight must be accounted for in the tow vehicle tag. Up to 20k lbs a MD trailer tag adds weight to the combination vehicle - e.g. A 7k lb pickup tag with a 10k MD trailer tag gives you 17k lbs in combination. A 7k Lb pickup tag towing a Maine tagged trailer gives you 7k lbs total for the truck and trailer. I'm not saying that DNR or DOT are going to get you for being overweight while towing your boat but I have talked with guys that have small business that are being weighed. One guy I spoke to had a service body F-250 full of tools and was pulling a 10k lb utility trailer full of material and was 10k lbs overweight because of the Maine tag on the trailer.
    Just another aspect to consider.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    bumping this to see if Maryland is still targeting Maine tags..

I have a small business and getting ready to title and tag a 9990gvw trailer. I already have a 3500lb trailer titled/tagged in MD
    I heard whispers of insurance not covering a trailer tagged out of state and other random issues when stopped..

Looking for others to chime in more recent, otherwise I may just stop in the MVA tomorrow and be done with it.. The maine fees are a 1/5th the price for 12yrs!

Also have a farm and looked briefly at the farm tag option (requires use for farm purposes and 25 mile radius)

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Maryland says "motor vehicles" must be tagged in MD, trailer has no engine. No problem for me, I use Trailer to store boat on. Private ramp, problem solved

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I have two trailers tagged in ME and I have never had a problem with MD LEO. Never pulled over but with that said my trailers look like they just came off the showroom floor I always keep good tires on plus paint every other year. They look nice going down the road. I also own about 65+ acres in ME also. Chris

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    My trailer will be extremely clean at all times and always stored inside garage.
    I will be running all around town spring-fall M-F so this is not a weekend warrior boat trailer or leisure utility trailer pulled out 3-4 times a year that was my real concern
    Almost never on the highway..
    Shame my mother sold her 100acre farm in Maine could atleast have mail with my name on it sent there as back up

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Our Scout troop owns 4 trailers all tagged in PA, total cost is $48 a year for all four. We discussed ME tagged but it wasn't worth the trouble for a little savings.

Ya know Maryland could solve this problem by making small trailer tags less expensive. Oh, never mind, this is Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom