• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    MANY factors contribute to the "gamey" taste of venison.
    -shot placement (heart/lung = good) if you gut shoot it and all of the various bodily fluids are able to soak into the meat.

-how quickly the deer is recovered and field dressed to allow the heat to escape and spoil the meat. Also, if shot in early season, September heat can cook and spoil a deer if it isn't found and dressed.

-proper field dressing - getting out all of the innards. Not poking the stomach, intestines, or bladder allowing bad stuff to soak into the meat. Getting out ALL of the fat. Deer fat is the opposite of beef fat. Beef fat tastes good and is beneficial in cooking with the meat. Deer fat becomes rancid quickly and is a leading cause in the gamey taste. NEVER cook venison with any fat on it IMO. I hose out the carcass as much as I can before taking it to the butcher. Especially if they hang it for a couple of days to tenderize it. Blood, fat, and anything else will definitely create a gamey taste as the meat tenderizes and soaks all that crap in.

Other Factors:
    -age (tender vs stringy/tough)

-sex (bucks in rut with all of the hormones)

-some have said if a deer is alert when you shoot it- it's got adrenaline coursing through it and that contributes to bad taste. Jury is still out on that one for me as all deer are ALWAYS in an alert state. Regardless of if they appear to be at ease while feeding.

I'm sure there are a couple of other things I'm forgetting at the moment (supposed to actually be working) that others will add.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    ?? i plan on that too, i don't shoot anything unless i plan to eat them. I don't loose or waste any meat having a shoulder mount done.

LOL unless your taxidermist is like me and asks you keep a bunch of neck in the cape so he/she can shoot hollowpoints at them after skinning! Actually I ask for 3-4 inches be kept so I can get a definative neck measurement for ordering the forms. A lil extra neck during the rut allows me to get the swelled measurement too. Makes for the mount looking the way it should look, I cannot and will not stretch more than an inch, makes the hair patterns and the like get out of wack if you stretch too much. The tannery I send to does an excellent job and the capes are stretchy enough to do 1".

Beautiful buck BTW, great rack.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I'd like to try my hand at deer hunting, again. My only experience was when I was a kid, hunting on public land. It sucked, hugely. There were about 6 billion hunters, and no deer.

If I had land, I'd be a big deer hunter.

buckslugger

Jan 24, 2008
    I cut my deer the same day they are shot, cut myself,all small roasts or chunks of just red meat, cut away all ,repeat all, the white fat and stuff that connects the pieces of meat and it never tastse gamey,,,, also try this

put your meat in a ziploc bag and cover with applesauce and teriaki then freeze,,,,mmmmmm going to fire up the grill

harvey

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    It sure would be nice if the hunters on the forum got together and threw a Venison bbq for the moderators of MdShooters......:innocent0

side topic: A buddy of mine soaks his deer meat in milk to remove the gamey taste....does anybody else do that?

i'd be up to hosting it.

aside from the venison bbq, no i do not soak mine in milk, depends on the maturity of the deer. young ones are tastey while older deer can be gamey but it all depends on how you cook them too.

all the deer iv'e shot and cooked have never had a gamey taste.

and concerning a venison bbq, i'd have enough meet considering alot of us bow hunt in my neighborhood and freezers will be stocked. i already have 12 pounds of ground meat, 2 hind quarters, various steaks and a few tender loins sitting in my freezer right now. WITH many more deer to come this season :D

also, if i were to host it, we could shoot, fish, ride quads and horses, and show off the bar :D

TO THE THREAD STARTER:

holy crap thats one hell of a buck you got there. better than anything iv'e shot SO FAR.

i got my first bow kill last week end by shooting a doe. damn it was tasty.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    nice buck

shot at one like that couple years ago at schaeffers farm..public land in southern maryland..never did find em though..sucks..old guy found em 2 weeks later...he got the antlers..

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    Here's mine from this season..nice 8 pointer right on my own property!

I've seen only 1 other buck all season this year, but hundreds of does on cam...

Attachments

• buck.jpg
      buck.jpg
      79.9 KB · Views: 82

JoJoVDub

Nov 3, 2008
    lusby
    first and foremost congrats on a great deer!! thats a fine lookin specimen!

if you dont like the gamey taste - eat beef from safeway - my dad makes me eat the heart of every animal i kill (we're cherokee and blackfoot)...if you cant do that...lay down your weapon...just my opinion (you take its heartbeat from it - make it worth it)...

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    Thanks Joppa, if ya liked that last buck, you'll LOVE this one...

This big sunnova female dog was at the processor the same day i brought mine in...It was the largest buck of the year for them, an absolute monster, once in a lifetime deer. I can't remember the guy's name, but i'd love to meet him and hear the story....

Attachments

• big ass deer.jpg
      big ass deer.jpg
      73 KB · Views: 72

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads