• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Long story short: I'm not 21 yet and therefore cannot buy a "regulated weapon" which happens to includes AR-15's (except for the Colt HBAR Sporter) in this nazi state we live in. Though I can't buy them, can I borrow my dads? For example, can I bring his AR-15 to the range without him or anyone over 21 present if I have his expressed parental permission?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Long story short: I'm not 21 yet and therefore cannot buy a "regulated weapon" which happens to includes AR-15's (except for the Colt HBAR Sporter) in this nazi state we live in. Though I can't buy them, can I borrow my dads? For example, can I bring his AR-15 to the range without him or anyone over 21 present if I have his expressed parental permission?

Don't do this without someone over 21 to supervise... You need permission and supervision

§ 5-133. Restrictions on possession of regulated firearms.

§ 5-133(d) Possession by person under age of 21 years prohibited; exceptions.-

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person who is under the age of 21 years may not possess a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm.

(2) Unless a person is otherwise prohibited from possessing a regulated firearm, this subsection does not apply to:

(i) the temporary transfer or possession of a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm if the person is:

1. under the supervision of another who is at least 21 years old and who is not prohibited by State or federal law from possessing a firearm; and

2. acting with the permission of the parent or legal guardian of the transferee or person in possession;

(ii) the transfer by inheritance of title, and not of possession, of a regulated firearm;

(iii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard while performing official duties;

(iv) the temporary transfer or possession of a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm if the person is:

1. participating in marksmanship training of a recognized organization; and
    2. under the supervision of a qualified instructor;

(v) a person who is required to possess a regulated firearm for employment and who holds a permit under Subtitle 3 of this title; or

(vi) the possession of a firearm or ammunition for self-defense or the defense of others against a trespasser into the residence of the person in possession or into a residence in which the person in possession is an invited guest.

Mark

PS - I guess you'll just have to find something non-regulated to purchase, like a Mini-30, PS-90, VZ-58, or maybe a SU-16. I know I'd feel better if you purchased one of those or perhaps an RPD or a Suomi...

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I was considering a Colt HBAR Sporter if I could find a decent deal on a used one.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I was considering a Colt HBAR Sporter if I could find a decent deal on a used one.

Remember, it doesn't have to be a Colt. Any HBAR AR-15 would be legal for you to own... but there are so many cool non-AR rifles that you shouldn't even worry about it. My DPMS HBAR was cash and carry too.

Mark

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    i dont think it has to be a colt.

i got an HBAR from fulton armory cash and carry and it was a much better price than any colt, paid $775 for it, check them out.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    these are listed on MSP pdf file for "regulated weapons"

( 4 ) AR 100 type semi-auto
    ( 5 ) AR 180 type semi-auto
    (15) Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Gun Connection has several Bushmaster HBARs listed on their Memorial Day sale listing. Not cheap, but they are less than they were during the buying craze.

You could check with Dan if he has any other HBAR AR's and if he would sell them to you.

BTW, OLM-Medic, there are several rather interesting firearms that are not considered Regulated by MD. The Czech VZ-58 and several others.

As far as regulated guns go, sure, they regulate some popular rifles. Not a problem. Anything belt fed is not regulated and a lot of really great rifles are also not regulated. You don't need an AR-15 when you could have a SCAR-16s or 17s instead. The PS-90 is cash and carry. If you must have something not regulated in 7.62x39 the RPD, VZ-58, and standard SKS are fine choices.
    Stolen from "Markp"

http://mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=37993

You just need to figure out how to work around the silly rules LEGALLY.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Yeah I know about the VZ-58 and the other firearms. I was actually considering the SKS for a while, but I've decided I want to get an AR.

(15) Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle

isn't that basically saying only colt HBAR Sporter's are unregulated AR's?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Yeah I know about the VZ-58 and the other weapons. I was actually considering the SKS for a while, but I've decided I want to get an AR.

isn't that basically saying only colt HBAR Sporter's are unregulated AR's?

It would be except 5-101(p) states "Assault weapon" means any of the following specific firearms or their copies regardless of which company produced and manufactured that firearm:

Basically it has been accepted that ANY AR sporter HBAR, regardless of the company that manufactured or produced it is exempt from regulation. You see, if you are going to say that any AR is a copy of the Colt AR-15 or CAR-15, then you have to assume that their copies of the HBAR are also not regulated because they are not imitations of the CAR-15 or Colt AR-15, but copies of the Sporter HBAR. The knife cuts both ways.

Mark

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    OLM-Medic, Fulton Armory sold me a 16" collapsible stocked AR at a gun show cash and carry. The barrel is heavy. I have never handled a Colt HBAR, so I can't compare, but this barrel is not like an M-4 barrel.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    ah, that does make sense I think. Well in that case I think I will be looking for an HBAR Sporter of some type. Up until now, the only ones I really have researched were the Colt's.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    OLM-Medic, Fulton Armory sold me a 16" collapsible stocked AR at a gun show cash and carry. The barrel is heavy. I have never handled a Colt HBAR, so I can't compare, but this barrel is not like an M-4 barrel.

What was the price on that? Maryland seems to be high in price

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    You are asking me to remember what I paid for a rifle at least three years ago... HA. I do not remember at all. Add to the issue, the price increases after the '08 election and the fact that metal has gone up and so has shipping. If i bought the gun six months ago, i would have remembered. Sorry.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Take a look at an XCR in 5.56mm. Takes regular AR mags, has a folding stock and side-mounted charging handle. Avoid the 7.6x39 oly because it is darn hard to get good mags for them.

Also, I bought mine cash and carry last year here in MD.

prodpic12.jpg

I went with an M4 VLTOR stock with a folding mount in 16". It is 7.62x39mm and if I ever figure out the mags, all will be good with it. Again, the problem is not the gun, but the lack of good 7.62 ar-style mags. Stick with 5.56 and you can just go with PMags.

XCR Manufacturer Site: www.robarm.com

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Take a look at an XCR in 5.56mm. Takes regular AR mags, has a folding stock and side-mounted charging handle. Avoid the 7.6x39 oly because it is darn hard to get good mags for them.

Also, I bought mine cash and carry last year here in MD.

prodpic12.jpg

I went with an M4 VLTOR stock with a folding mount in 16". It is 7.62x39mm and if I ever figure out the mags, all will be good with it. Again, the problem is not the gun, but the lack of good 7.62 ar-style mags. Stick with 5.56 and you can just go with PMags.

XCR Manufacturer Site: www.robarm.com

How much? Found price on their website but none anywhere else.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Looks like I have a good amount of thinking to do. One thing about whatever AR I want is that I want it to be as reliable as other military/LE AR's and thats something I don't know if I can say about the civi versions.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Looks like I have a good amount of thinking to do. One thing about whatever AR I want is that I want it to be as reliable as other military/LE AR's and thats something I don't know if I can say about the civi versions.

Then buy a military version, there are plenty of vietnam era colt kits out there for $499 all you have to do is add a decent lower and a heavy barrel.

Mark

Last edited:

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County

Go with a Colt 6920 and you should be able to accomplish that.

Then buy a military version, there are plenty of vietnam era colt kits out there for $499 all you have to do is add a decent lower.

Mark

That would be contrary to his request as the M16 & A1's had some issues that the newer models don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom