Ultimate Member
    IMG_0584 (2).JPG
    Pretty close from the side of the road.
    IMG_0585 (2).JPG

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Nice! You guys have one of the best places in North America to take pictures of bald eagles. Every year between Thanksgiving and Christmas about 200 bald eagles stop their migration at the Susquehanna hydroelectric plant. When the spillways at the bottom of the dam are open fish shoot through there and get stunned, floating on teh surface of the water. Bald eagles will swoop down and pluck them out of the water and then fight other eagles to keep the fish. It all happens 10-50 yards away from you at the Fisherman;s Park there next to the dam. I used to go there several times each season and take pictures. Sometimes the eagles will land in trees right above you and eat the fish. Every time I went there it looked like the end zone at M&T Bank Stadium - a group of a few dozen wildlife photographers with lenses the size of small trashcans all shooting pictures at bump stock fire rates while the eagles fly around.

Here are a few of the pictures I took there:
    I'm coming for you by Dave, on Flickr

Juvenile Bald Eagle by Dave, on Flickr

Get away! by Dave, on Flickr

To Fly by Dave, on Flickr

Got one! by Dave, on Flickr

Flight by Dave, on Flickr

Wings Spread Wide by Dave, on Flickr

Happy Veteran's Day! by Dave, on Flickr

Bald Eagle by Dave, on Flickr

These three are probably my favorite pictures that I've ever taken anywhere of anything:

Bonzai! The Attack, Part 1 by Dave, on Flickr

Attack! The Attack, Part 2 by Dave, on Flickr

Flying Drop Kick From the Top Rope! The Attack, Part 3 by Dave, on Flickr

Murica!

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Eagles migrate?

Eagles migrate? The ones here in Lusby are here year round at the head of St. Johns Creek. We have about 1/2 dozen adults and same or more juveniles flying around.

The Ospreys returned about 10 days ago. I saw an eagle steal a perch from an Osprey last year in mid air. That bird was pissed. :)

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Eagles migrate? The ones here in Lusby are here year round at the head of St. Johns Creek. We have about 1/2 dozen adults and same or more juveniles flying around.

The Ospreys returned about 10 days ago. I saw an eagle steal a perch from an Osprey last year in mid air. That bird was pissed. :)

In Maryland some are resident year round, many more migrate through in the fall.

Check these links out and get to Conowingo in November!

In November: Bald Eagles at Conowingo
    https://www.birdsoutsidemywindow.org/2017/10/17/in-november-bald-eagles-at-conowingo/

Hundreds of visitors flock to Conowingo Dam Saturday for photo-ops of bald eagles
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/outdoors/ph-ag-conowingo-eagle-day-2015-1118-20151114-story.html

Spectacular views of bald eagles over the Susquehanna River
    https://blog.epa.gov/blog/2013/11/spectacular-views-of-bald-eagles-over-the-susquehanna-river/

A Visitor’s Guide to the Bald Eagles at Conowingo Dam
    https://bellaremyphotography.com/2012/12/09/a-visitors-guide-to-the-bald-eagles-at-conowingo-dam/

How To Get Spectacular Bald Eagle Photographs at Conowingo Dam
    http://www.destinationwildlife.com/blog/2017-11-29/how-to-take-spectacular-bald-eagle-photos-conowingo-dam

Conowingo Dam's Eagles Day is Saturday
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/harford/aegis/ph-ag-eagles-day-preview-20171103-story.html

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    We have a pair of Bald Eagles just north of Decatur, Nebraska. I just started seeing them last week. There was a roadkill deer on the side of the highway that coyotes were feeding on and both eagles were in the trees above it during the day. They had obviously been feeding on it too. I'll try to get pics or video of them if I can.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I know where there is a nest back in the marsh. I bet it's as big as a compact car. This one here that I was able to get a picture of may be injured, when you get close he will not move to far to quickly, there's a deer carcass nearby it's feeding on.
    I should call the DNR so they can send someone by to have a look.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    My cubicle at work faces a window that goes from the floor to the ceiling. There's a large red rock outcrop that juts up in the canyon that my window faces. The view is kind of like the picture I posted below, but I face the rock dead on, not from the side. There is a mating pair of golden eagles who come to a large nest in the rock each February and stay until May or June. They have several young during that time. It gets distracting looking out the window and watching the eagles hunt mice and rabbits in the canyon and feed their young.

I'm not allowed to take any pictures at work. These are pretty low quality photos that are officially authorized for release.

When you look through that V notch at the top of the rock you can see the Denver skyline through the gap in the hogbacks. I wish I was allowed to take photos there because from my desk the entire skyline is visible.

Here's a good shot of the building in the snow:

And here are a few other visitors. Sometimes it gets crowded there.

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    My cubicle at work faces a window that goes from the floor to the ceiling. There's a large red rock outcrop that juts up in the canyon that my window faces. The view is kind of like the picture I posted below, but I face the rock dead on, not from the side. There is a mating pair of golden eagles who come to a large nest in the rock each February and stay until May or June. They have several young during that time. It gets distracting looking out the window and watching the eagles hunt mice and rabbits in the canyon and feed their young.

I'm not allowed to take any pictures at work. These are pretty low quality photos that are officially authorized for release.

When you look through that V notch at the top of the rock you can see the Denver skyline through the gap in the hogbacks. I wish I was allowed to take photos there because from my desk the entire skyline is visible.

Here's a good shot of the building in the snow:

And here are a few other visitors. Sometimes it gets crowded there.

That is literally a breathtaking view. I am quite jealous. I just have unattractive mis-matched buildings and gross water.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I know where there is a nest back in the marsh. I bet it's as big as a compact car. This one here that I was able to get a picture of may be injured, when you get close he will not move to far to quickly, there's a deer carcass nearby it's feeding on.
    I should call the DNR so they can send someone by to have a look.

Here's a screen capture of the National Arboretum Eagle Cam with a couple of hatchlings. They went from cute to ugly in a matter of days.

Attachments

• Eagle Cam 3.PNG
      Eagle Cam 3.PNG
      15.8 KB · Views: 246
    • Eagle Cam 4.jpg
      Eagle Cam 4.jpg
      24.1 KB · Views: 239

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Got a pic this morning of a couple right around the corner from me. Been seeing one off and on. Even had one fly over my front yard. However, this morning I saw two of them. Wondering where they have their nest.

Initially, they were both on the fence posts. However, as soon as I stopped the car across the way and rolled down the window, one decided I didn't look so good. Thing is, I wasn't really that close. I took this pic with a 250mm lens on full zoom.

Attachments

• MdShooters228.jpg
      MdShooters228.jpg
      85.4 KB · Views: 175

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads