• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    I have an issue with my Springfield 9mm Range Officer that I have not been able to see a solution to, or even a mention of anywhere on the web or youtube, etc.

What happened is this: I had a fired case stuck in the chamber (it had happened once before.) The extractor hooked onto it and locked up the slide. I cleared it as I had before by holding the slide slapping the frame. So it was clear and problem seem solved. I cleaned and lubed the gun as usual.

However, when I go to reassemble the barrel link will not align with the hole for the slide stop. It appears the barrel base is not moving back in the slide far enough. I suspect that perhaps in clearing the stoppage it pulled out the extractor a bit and it is interfering with this. Does that sound plausible? And if so, what is the solution?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    PM Trikshot, John's specialty is the 1911.

If anyone can help out, that's who I'd be asking.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I've never had a link line up perfectly without having to shake the gun a bit , For the stuck case , look at the case to see if their any scratches running most of the length of it .
    If so it maybe a rough chamber , than look in the chamber to see how it's finished , could be their's some tool chatter when they cut the chamber and needs to be polished .
    A job best done by a experienced professional , I'd take it to Scott's Gunsmithing, He's on here in the Industry Partners or just take it to him to find the problem .

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    Yeah, I think I am going to do that. I sent an email to the warranty dept today. It's only about a year old. Thanks.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    Follow up

I sent the pistol to Springfield Armory. It was an extractor problem and also an issue with the feed ramp. In any case, they fixed it at no charge and it's functioning better than when purchased.

I have to laud Springfield's customer service. It is not only the best customer service I've had from a gun company, but maybe the best customer service I've ever had for anything.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The 1911 extractor is an excellent design but can be sensitive to proper adjustment. It happens to all manufacturers every now and then. It can cause erratic ejection or failure to extract...all usually pretty easily fixable and doesn't always show with factory test firings. It just shows why any auto pistol should get a 200 round testing before trusting it for duty. Parts have to settle in and rough edges smoothed out.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    I've also got a XD45 with no problems, but with the company backing you up like that, as with the Range Officer 1911,
    you can't really go wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom