• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Hey yall,

Having some issues with a slide I'm building for a poly 80 lower I just finished. Just got my trigger assembly from the guy who was doing a custom job for me, so I was putting it all together today.

I'm familiar with glocks. Had em for years and I know how to put slide together, etc. But this has me scratching my head. Hoping the collective brain of MDS can lend a hand.
    So, basically I think my safety plunger isn't functioning properly.

When I have the slide off the frame, I do the safety plunger test where I press the plunger down and shake the slide back and forth. This firing pin should move freely. It doesn't. I can make it move by holding the safety plunger down and moving the firing pin by hand. It doesn't take force, so it doesn't feel likes it binding up on me. However it should move when I shake the slide with the plunger depressed, and it doesn't.

When I press the safety plunger down an oem glock slide I have it *might* take slightly less force than the new slide I'm building. Emphasis on might bc if it does take less force it is very very minute and it's so hard to tell I'm not sure it does take less force. And that glock has tens of thousands (not an exaggeration) through it. So if anything it might take less force because all of the use its seen.

I'm going to swap some parts out from other oem glocks and see if it'll work tomorrow, but was hoping someone might have some insight before I do.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Alright, so I decided to tinker around with this a bit more. I swapped each part from a fully functioning oem slide individually (removing one at a time from the problem slide and replacing that one part with the same part from the properly functioning slide.) I did this one by one with the safety, spring, ejector, extractor, firing pin..no dice. So finally I swapped everything together. All the slide parts from the functioning slide, to the new slide. Still no joy.

Only thing I can think of is that the new slide isn't oem. It's from a well-reputed company, but it's cerakoted. Maybe the cerakote is a bit too thick? Thinking of using a dowel with some sandpaper and smoothing out the inside of the the channel.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Update:

Broke out some 1500 grit sand paper and barely touched the inside of the channel. I mustve knocked off one thou.. Maybe. Anyhow the slide cycles properly now.

So I rack it a few times and all seems well. I attempt to dry fire this thing and the trigger is dead. I can depress the trigger but no click, like it's not dropping the sear or the firing pin isn't activating?

Everything else functions as it should. I should not that the trigger does fine when the slide is off.

I think it's not engaging the sear? Kinda at a loss.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What kind of a "custom job" did your friend do on that trigger?

Did you try your complete factory Glock slide on that frame?

Did it function then?

Is there a channel liner in the channel?

Sometimes firing pins will move freely with the safety plunger depressed, sometimes they don't. Means nothing to me.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Why in the world someone wouldn't buy a full Glock OEM slide is beyond me.
    Because they aren't falling out of trees these days. Hell, after market slides are mostly out of stock as well. OEM Gen 3s are rare birds indeed.

In a perfect world, OEM Glock slides are the preferred part. I've used them when I could find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom