• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Have plenty of standard and “extra” standard mags and drums I’ve taken possession of out of state.

For my Kriss Vector carbine I have Kriss Vector extensions that allows me 30 rounds of 45ACP.

They recently came out with extensions, 10mm (30 rounds) and 9mm (40 rounds).

Any issues with having that these extensions mailed in? I bought my last extensions out of state just because a better price than online.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    It’s not a magazine therefore it’s fine. You cannot install them in MD however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    It’s not a magazine therefore it’s fine. You cannot install them in MD however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ^ this

sure you can
    ^ not this. the manufacturing has to happen out of state.

(b) Prohibited. -- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2015/article-gcr/title-4/subtitle-3/section-4-305

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I appreciate the clarification, I will make sure that assembly takes place out of state.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I'm in DC and there are three round extensions that fit on my carry gun mags that would, assembled, make my seven-round mags into legal ten-round mags; and with the exact same extension make my eight-round mags into illegal 11-round ones.
    I doubt there could be a successful prosecution for ordering, receiving or possessing extensions in that case for either possession or constructive possession. But I do think one would risk successful prosecution if assembled with the eight round mag making it into 11 rounds.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    SO you are gonna just disregard not being able to receive it!!!!!

The extensions will not be placed on the magazines within the state of Maryland!!!!!!!

I will drive to PA and assemble the mags in the parking lot of Cracker Barrel while my family enjoys dinner. I will then transport them back to Maryland and will be within the letter of the law. Plus it's a good excuse for some country fried steak with a side of chicken n' dumplins. I would never not comply with the laws of this great state! My favorite slogan is "I Will Comply!"

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    The extensions will not be placed on the magazines within the state of Maryland!!!!!!!

I will drive to PA and assemble the mags in the parking lot of Cracker Barrel while my family enjoys dinner. I will then transport them back to Maryland and will be within the letter of the law. Plus it's a good excuse for some country fried steak with a side of chicken n' dumplins. I would never not comply with the laws of this great state! My favorite slogan is "I Will Comply!"

Jon, I would be careful of zealous prosecution under "constructive possession" laws. People sure do get convicted and imprisoned for unassembled parts under certain conditions. The presence of a legal use within the jurisdiction which you have the parts, is usually an affirmative defense (my example of three round extensions that can fit on seven or eight round magazines, with the seven round use being legal and therefore the parts probably legal).

Also, saying you plan to assemble the parts in another state is generally not a defense.

To me it's the same as buying an upper. In and of itself, it cannot be made into a firearm.

It sure can if you happen to have a lower in the same home though. It is generally hinges on whether or not you have a readily accessible other parts that makes the difference. From what I can tell you can have a SBR full upper in a jurisdiction that prohibits SBR guns -- but you can't if you have a lower in your home.

In DC threaded barrels on semi auto rile is legal, so is a rail. it is also apparently legal to possess a flash suppressor or vertical fore-grip "in and of itself". BUT If you have the flash suppressor or foregrip and the railed or threaded barrel semi auto rifle in the same home you would be jeopardy of being in illegal constructive possession.

So it is not the "in and of itself" that is the issue, it is what is readily accessible that can be constructed into an illegal combination that is the issue..

So I'd be careful about a mag extensions that has no other effect than to go over 10 rounds if the otherwise legal nine or ten round mags are in the same home . if the smallest mag made for your gun is eight or less rounds, and you have that mag at home, you are probably ok. But if the smallest is 9 rounds then just possessing a 2 round extension and possessing nine or ten round mag, even unassembled, could get you prosecuted for constructive possession

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom