• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    So glad this worked out for the best. Sounds like you kept a level head and had a plan. Now is time to reflect and learn from the experience. How's the misses dealing with it?

A little better each day. She is convincing herself she saved me though

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    44Man, when and where did you draw? You said it was a pocket gun that you hid under your crossed arms. So you drew surreptitiously as they were approaching you and slowly placed under a crossed arm? Then when your wife approached, you did your best to continue hiding the firearm as you walked to her, and repositioned the losers at the small end of the lookout? I can completely understand people not noticing the firearm (even as you walked past them, esp if they were also distracted with a new person on the scene) until you made clear that you had it. I'm just wondering how you got the drop on them, and if I misunderstood when you first removed the gun from your pocket. Thanks ahead.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I drew with my back to them and as I turned around and they came down the stairs. And I kept it hidden till the end.

I probably looked shit simple standing there cross armed but oh well

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I drew with my back to them and as I turned around and they came down the stairs. And I kept it hidden till the end.

I probably looked shit simple standing there cross armed but oh well
    Got it. This is obviously informative/educational for those of us who carry (where permitted).

I was contemplating the pros and cons of open vs concealed carry in this situation. I think concealed worked out better for you. While it could be argued that they would have avoided you altogether if your firearm was on your person (and we'll imagine for now it was a more intimidating 44 revolver ), it gives them a tactical advantage as they might keep their mouths shut, and having numbers, grab you and try to disarm you. Really a factor of how daring, stupid, and able to control their mouths if they were to attempt to pull this off.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Got it. This is obviously informative/educational for those of us who carry (where permitted).

I was contemplating the pros and cons of open vs concealed carry in this situation. I think concealed worked out better for you. While it could be argued that they would have avoided you altogether if your firearm was on your person (and we'll imagine for now it was a more intimidating 44 revolver ), it gives them a tactical advantage as they might keep their mouths shut, and having numbers, grab you and try to disarm you. Really a factor of how daring, stupid, and able to control their mouths if they were to attempt to pull this off.

Bullies are cowards trying to hide their cowardice.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Just noticed and read this entire thread. So glad things turned out OK for you and your wife, .44! Kudos to you for thinking clearly under stress. I hope this experience doesn't haunt either of you long term and keep you from enjoying yourselves. I had an encounter in my own home awhile back and I was wigged out for some time. PTSD is very real. How does your wife feel about arming herself? Perhaps that could have been an equalizer.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Just noticed and read this entire thread. So glad things turned out OK for you and your wife, .44! Kudos to you for thinking clearly under stress. I hope this experience doesn't haunt either of you long term and keep you from enjoying yourselves. I had an encounter in my own home awhile back and I was wigged out for some time. PTSD is very real. How does your wife feel about arming herself? Perhaps that could have been an equalizer.

PTSD? I don't know if that's what is going on but the incident is almost all she has talked about since then. She even blurted out today " you shoulda just shot those mfers". And the more I think about it the more I feel somehow it was my fault.

She did look at big cans of bear spray yesterday at green top. She also handled the smith today and her 38 smith revolver and some bigger guns in the safe.

She did say when we go next time she wants me to carry either one of my .45 or one of my .44s in a chest rig. And that she will have bear spray and she may carry my .380 s and w bodyguard. We will see.

I will not let this ruin she and I taking trips to the mountains or anywhere else.

I hate pillheads and meth heads and all dopers in general. I hope they all od and sooner rather than later.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    It was neither your faults. You were both VICTIMS and you handled it the best you could in that moment. No one got hurt. Just be thankful and don't beat yourselves up. I was disappointed in myself in ways I thought I "failed" under duress. Hindsight is just that. Take this experience and let it prepare you better for the next -- may the next never come. You did very well.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    The only thing you failed at was being a good little victim. You defend your wife and self perfectly. You lost no property, suffered no injury, had no legal expenses. Hells bells your not even out the cost of a cartridge.

It's always easy to wonder what you could have done better, but circumstances rarely line up for total movie like perfection. Remember they get to rehearse and are all reading from the same script with a director. You are herding cats to try and control the situation. You did very well and learned what you want to may to adjust in the future.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I'm glad you're all right. Glad you were armed. It sounds like you handled it about right.

To clarify, was it the Bodyguard .38 revolver, or the Bodyguard .380 auto?
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2010/7/15/sw-bodyguard-series/

Anyway, no doubt these misguided Yutes will now see the error of their ways, get right with God, and enroll in Trade School.

I'm a fan of anything, so long as it's SOMETHING... although .380 would be as small as I'd probably go.

I'm also a fan of the revolver. It doesn't throw brass. That's a lot safer for the environment.... of the shooter....

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just like airplane landings , any situation you and the wife walk away from unharmed was a good resolution.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I just wish I knew why they picked me.
    Old fat slug?
    Looked touristy??
    Looked like I had money?
    You didn't look like a dirt bag. Therefore, you must have something of value.

In Florida at least, scumbags look in rest areas and they look in shopping center parking for out of state tags since they assume those people won't want to return for a trial.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    Thanks for sharing this, Dana and I had a good AAR discussion. I must confess that I had a situation happen a few Years back while still at the shack in Croom.It was not nearly as dramatic but still unnerving. I was riding the John Deere between the two houses down by the road in the afternoon When a Gold colored Escalade pulled off the road near the mailboxes. A huge guy got out and started walking down the shoulder toward Me, I shut down the tractor and got off on the opposite side of the guy.I was thinking He was going to ask for directions when He said something like "I am gonna need Your money" ...My reply was "what?" and He repeated his demand! Shocked ,I was thinking I don't carry my Wallet when I mow...who does? Anyway, I had My Sig .380 in My RR Gene pocket and thought briefly, would it even slow this guy down? He was about 6'4 300#. I had got off the JD so it was between Us, I remember thinking He's got to come over or around the tractor. Time for thought was over and I raise my left hand and drew the Sig, I probably looked stupid like a forward Guard on the high school basketball team! When He saw the Little Sig He spun and went back up the Shoulder to the Cadilac and left.I stood there and realized what had just happened and Thanked God I had picked up that pistol when going out to Mow My 5 Acres.I had never carried before while mowing and still today Wonder Why I Did That Day! I am in Florida for the most part now , But My Ruger 9mm gets a lot of carry time. Situational Awareness is Your Friend. Glad Your story ended well and it will Help others be aware that "The Monsters are among Us"

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    Appreciate sincerely your AAR

Tickled pink y'all are ok

Local LE ought to set up a sting

Your recommendations are valid and welcome reminders to always be ready

Damnit if your wife's reaction wouldn't be exactly like mine and at the same time, exactly what wasn't needed at the moment. I'll take this as an opportunity to tune up my own wife's SA and to remind her of acceptable actions in different scenarios.

God helps those who help themselves. You truly put yourself in the position to be lucky. Good on ya.

Ha ha ha. HA HA HA. :lol: :lol2: Oh boy, I almost wet myself.

No woman, anywhere, in any culture, at any point in time, has listened to her husband, and not made things worse.

Do you know why women and children are loaded onto the life boats first?

So the men can have some peace and quiet to think of a solution.

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    The key here is that you need something to pop everyone out of whatever immersive state they're in and pay attention without engaging in a 3-minute debate about the merits of the interruption.

Steven Spielberg could not even use enough special effects to make the fantasy happen on screen.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I've been thinking about this a lot since I spend so much down in that part of the world.

Is this the overlook where it occurred? Makes sense that they would target this particular one since it's on a main road, yet the overlook itself is completely obscured from the road.

You were luckier than I first thought.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 7.06.32 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 7.06.32 AM.jpg
      71.6 KB · Views: 216

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I've been thinking about this a lot since I spend so much down in that part of the world.

Is this the overlook where it occurred? Makes sense that they would target this particular one since it's on a main road, yet the overlook itself is completely obscured from the road.

You were luckier than I first thought.

Yes sir that exactly the place.

One of the most beautiful places I have been when you realize you are on a shear rock ledge straight up many hundreds of feet.

It's a fairly short walk from the road but completely obscured by the woods then down about 20? Stairs and into the hawks nest, kinda like a stone pit. Far enough away from the road and restrooms and gift shop that no one can see or hear and an even shorter run thru the woods to the road than the paths plus another pass in the opposite direction so someone with bad intent could have multiple escape routes..

We were very lucky.

I told my wife we are going back for a weekend sooner rather than later though, when it cools off. I won't let shitbags like that ruin places like that for us. Plus I still think it's a beautiful place and I want to ride the tram and the jet boat that we missed out on due to this incident.

One thing about all this is that now my wife's sister and fiancé want to get armed and want shooting lessons and that will cause my wife to spend more time at the range at the farm with me practicing with her sister so that's a big positive . My wife's a fine shot but everyone needs practice and I love practicing with her.

The big negative thing out of this is now she wants to take wv off the retirement living area list. She still wants to look around more in western va, cause the border must stop bad folks, lol.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    44man,
    So sorry to hear about your episode. Sounds like you did everything correctly and quickly. I'm am very familiar with the place you are talking about as I used to have a place not too far from their in Braxton County and visited Hawks Nest on occasion. Sorry it spoiled your otherwise pleasant weekend. It is a shame these bad apples (to put it mildly) ruined a nice trip. I'm glad you didn't have to take it a step further (yet maybe that will be needed to discourage this type of criminal behavior). I hope this doesn't spoil your view of WV as a whole, as this type of event really isn't that prevalent here compared to other areas. It is the meth/heroin epidemic that is sparking a lot of this.
    At least in this State you are permitted to arm yourself for protection. I'm very glad you did so.
    If you ever want to come back, make plans for my AO near Elkins and I will show you and the missus around personally.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    The .380 auto. It's so flat, light and slips right in my pocket. And light is a concern when I have to do a lotta walking. I know a .380 is supposed to be iffy but it beats the heck outta not having anything.

And I am 100%sure that those "gentlemen" were plying their only trade.

With some of the loads out there today, there is no iffy-ness about it. It will do the job at close range when needed!
    Again good job and glad everything turned out well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom