• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    The chest holster is the best backpacking carry option, but is it weird that it makes me feel slightly uneasy?

I feel like a noob asking this question. I know guns don't magically go off without the trigger bring pulled and I know they don't go off from impact either. Still, something makes me nervous about having a chambered Glock 19 in a chest holster and occasionally pointing at my vital organs depending on my posture. I regularly carry in PA, so I'm not new to carrying.

What think yall?

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    The only thing that should make you feel weird is having specifically a Glock 19 in a chest holster.

But seriously, like you said guns don't magically go off. Maybe try it for some time unloaded but cocked, and then move on up to cocked and loaded.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    The only thing that should make you feel weird is having specifically a Glock 19 in a chest holster.

But seriously, like you said guns don't magically go off. Maybe try it for some time unloaded but cocked, and then move on up to cocked and loaded.

Well I originally started carrying in a chest holster as a way to carry a large bore revolver while around grizzly bears out West. There's just no other comfortable way due to its size and weight.

After many times backpacking while armed around here, I realized that the chest holster is really the only comfortable way to go, so I ordered one for my Glock.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Still much better than the weird feeling of using a shoulder holster (with any pistol) and pointing it at hundreds of people a day.
    Are there any videos of Glock drop tests that might give some visual reassurance?
    So the thing is, chest carry is not the fastest draw option anyway. Empty chamber really wouldn't be that bad. When that support hand is up there ripping that pack open, what's one more quick racking step? You're basically at the high ready with both hands up top anyway. It takes barely any extra time at all. Just test it. I think it'll be fine that way. Thing is, it's your carry. Don't listen to the nay sayers about your comfort level.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    OLM-

I agree about the comfort and easier access of a chest rig. Look at how many military members carry that way too, mostly on their chest armor.

As far as pointing it at yourself, you'll get used to it; and no problem if in a good holster. I think part of the angst comes from the crowd that only have experience through the NRA and lack other experience. For competition, beginner training, etc., I agree that there needs to be some standardization and abundance of caution. Especially to get that safety point across to novices.

Your rig points it generally down?

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Still much better than the weird feeling of using a shoulder holster (with any pistol) and pointing it at hundreds of people a day.
    Are there any videos of Glock drop tests that might give some visual reassurance?
    So the thing is, chest carry is not the fastest draw option anyway. Empty chamber really wouldn't be that bad. When that support hand is up there ripping that pack open, what's one more quick racking step? You're basically at the high ready with both hands up top anyway. It takes barely any extra time at all. Just test it. I think it'll be fine that way. Thing is, it's your carry. Don't listen to the nay sayers about your comfort level.

I actually don't need to rip anything open. It's a Kenai holster that uses a tight fitting open kydex holster. I love it.

OLM-

I agree about the comfort and easier access of a chest rig. Look at how many military members carry that way too, mostly on their chest armor.

As far as pointing it at yourself, you'll get used to it; and no problem if in a good holster. I think part of the angst comes from the crowd that only have experience through the NRA and lack other experience. For competition, beginner training, etc., I agree that there needs to be some standardization and abundance of caution. Especially to get that safety point across to novices.

Your rig points it generally down?

It points down, and probably would only take a shallow layer of my chest off if it did go off. That's for the Glock. The revolver is long so it typically points at my pelvis.

I will say there is one reason I am leery of this. When I was carrying my Taurus .454 I noticed a "light" primer strike, except it wasn't light at all. Ever since, I always carry the first chamber empty on that revolver. Yeah yeah, it's a Taurus and that's probably why, but I can't afford anything else and I'm a firm believe that in a grizzly attack I won't even have ever time for multiple shots anyway. Also, since it's a revolver I wouldn't have to do anything extra to fire it despite having the first chamber empty.

Anyways, I know it probably wouldn't have ever went off since a primer needs a rather hard percussive strike to ignite, but the hole in the primer was so deep. If it did go off my pelvis would have no longer been there.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Oh. One of these deals. I just automatically think chest bag for some reason. I can understand that weird feeling. I'd have no issue not carrying hot still. Access and draw is so fast, you could still rack it easily. But that's just me.
    3091d3705405dbc485693ea546a8d37b.jpg

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The answer is quite simple...

Keep the chamber empty...

Rack the slide when you need to put a bullet in the chamber...

That's my answer too. But he would be committing forum suicide if he ever admitted to doing that on here. Because operators and all. :)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You could always get a handgun with DA/SA with a real safety.

Why? You treat those with the same "safety respect" as one does with a Glock. A glock would no sooner go off inside a holster than a DA/SA pistol.

I think he is just addressing/thinking out loud like many do about that little Glock safety brain tick we/many have.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    As mentioned, Condition 3 or "Israeli Carry" as some prefer should give you the peace of mind you seek.

Another option in installing a NY trigger in your G19 and increasing your trigger pull to between 7-14 pounds depending the combination of trigger bar and spring that you choose.

As for your Taurus, thought they use a transfer bar system similar to Ruger. The hammer is resting on the frame and there is a gap between the hammer face and firing pin. Can't see how you got a light primer strike unless you were shooting the pistol and the firing pin was fouled by dirt and crud.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Thanks for the photo Blaster229, it looks like a very good rig. Probably the best for his purpose (backpacking in bear country).

This is a special case, so I don't have an opinion on condition of carry, just do what works (safe, simple, fast); but drill with it. I don't understand how you could have gotten such a pronounced accidental primer strike; that needs to be isolated and resolved. It's a separate and more important issue to me than your chest rig.

Looks like you could swap that holster out, if it were for a lighter gun, could you jog with it, without too much moving around?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'm probably going to get one of these for my hiking rig....

Attachments

• WEST_ELKS_DEC12_jpeg-82_1000.jpg
      WEST_ELKS_DEC12_jpeg-82_1000.jpg
      68.7 KB · Views: 430

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017
    You can use the kenai gear chest holster.

I carry appendix, which is much more dangerous and I feel fine. I wouldn't recommend carrying without a round in the chamber though. The whole reason you are chest carrying is for quick access in case of a wild animal I assume. It would defeat the purpose. The real danger for a ccwer is reholstering. Ive been to many safety briefs where people shot themselves while reholstering because it got caught on some clothes or their finger was on the trigger. Take your time on the reholster, no rush, you will be fine.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'm probably going to get one of these for my hiking rig....
    I got something similar from Kifaru after a Blaster rec. I'll post a pic after digging one out. Have two types of holsters and the top rips open with a strategic tug.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

LONGSHOT

May 7, 2011
    ABERDEEN,HARFORD
    The chest holster is the best backpacking carry option, but is it weird that it makes me feel slightly uneasy?

I feel like a noob asking this question. I know guns don't magically go off without the trigger bring pulled and I know they don't go off from impact either. Still, something makes me nervous about having a chambered Glock 19 in a chest holster and occasionally pointing at my vital organs depending on my posture. I regularly carry in PA, so I'm not new to carrying.

What think yall?
    ten X precision will put a thumb saftey on a glock for $115.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom