• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My Ryder 9 is just coming up in it's first(1k round) cleaning which is what surefire recommends. Sheesh! It took me more than an hour to disassemble the darn thing. I think next cleaning will happen at 500.

That said, what is the best way and products to use for carbon removal? I also own several sealed cans that need cleaning as well. I'm thinking about stopping by HF and looking at ultrasonic cleaners. Will they do the job or am I wasting my money? Is there a certain power level I need to buy? Are there any LGSs locally that offer cleaning (especially the sealed ones)?

Just about every gun I shoot other than my hunting rifles, I shoot suppressed. Please help me keep these cans off the shelf of my safe and on the range where they are the most fun.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The HF Ultrasonic Cleaner will clean a sealed can quite well BUT it will mess up the external finish unless you rig a plastic hanger to suspend the suppressor so the outer tube touches nothing.

I use Simple Green in mine unless the parts are aluminum. If so I is the Avation Type. Before I do the Sonic cleaning, I spray wipe out foam I. The can and let it set for a day to loosen up the fouling.

For anything lead based like .22 a tumbler or bead blaster will work, as will the dip but they are toxic.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The HF Ultrasonic Cleaner will clean a sealed can quite well BUT it will mess up the external finish unless you rig a plastic hanger to suspend the suppressor so the outer tube touches nothing.

I use Simple Green in mine unless the parts are aluminum. If so I is the Avation Type. Before I do the Sonic cleaning, I spray wipe out foam I. The can and let it set for a day to loosen up the fouling.

For anything lead based like .22 a tumbler or bead blaster will work, as will the dip but they are toxic.

Any special consideration for inconel baffles? I was thinking of tumbling my cups in walnut medium.

When the NFA goes away I am so looking forward to disposable cans.

Like Europe

I saw that. Very interesting.

just blow through it. you have a perty mouth :)

;)

Attachments

• chase.jpg
      chase.jpg
      36 KB · Views: 599

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Any special consideration for inconel baffles? I was thinking of tumbling my cups in walnut medium

Interesting thought, cleaning all the baffles are a total pain in the a$$. I never thought of throwing them into the wet tumbler for a short period of time. The baffles are stainless and with stainless media, it seems like a relatively short tumble could do wonders?

Cleaning the tube itself is relatively easy if you buy a wire or nilon brush of the right diameter and put it on a drill.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    There used to be a great article written on rrdvegas.com. Guy shot a lot of .22 suppressed; like a thousand rounds at a time. He did a lot of experimentation. The site is no longer available for some reason.

End result is he found tumbling the stainless baffles and even threaded pieces in SS media with dishwasher detergent, water and lemishine for a couple hours made them like new. I recall that some ceracoted stuff may have gotten dinged up. But the stainless media did not hurt the baffled or even threaded parts.

He would the. Heat them in the oven, drop them in 100% silicon oil or dot 5 brake fluid and let them cool for a couple hours. Then let them sit to drip/dry on a cookie sheet with paper Towles and reassemble. His assessment was that the silicone oil made future cleaning easier.

His write up was quite impressive with many pictures and I wish it was still available.

This is all from memory, but I read it not too long ago. I tried it and found it effective. I have not found walnut media to be very effective as the build up is too thick.

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    I have been using Frog Lube paste on my 22 can. I smeared some on when it was new, heated it up but never removed the excess. I ran 1000 rounds of 22 through the Sparrow. When I took it apart I smeared more Frog Lube paste on everything and let it sit for 30 minutes. To my surprise most of the gunk came off with a paper towel. I used a small brass pick and brush to hit the thick stuff at the barrel end and it came off with a very light touch. I think I may have found a good use for Frog Lube.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    There used to be a great article written on rrdvegas.com. Guy shot a lot of .22 suppressed; like a thousand rounds at a time. He did a lot of experimentation. The site is no longer available for some reason.

End result is he found tumbling the stainless baffles and even threaded pieces in SS media with dishwasher detergent, water and lemishine for a couple hours made them like new. I recall that some ceracoted stuff may have gotten dinged up. But the stainless media did not hurt the baffled or even threaded parts.

He would the. Heat them in the oven, drop them in 100% silicon oil or dot 5 brake fluid and let them cool for a couple hours. Then let them sit to drip/dry on a cookie sheet with paper Towles and reassemble. His assessment was that the silicone oil made future cleaning easier.

His write up was quite impressive with many pictures and I wish it was still available.

This is all from memory, but I read it not too long ago. I tried it and found it effective. I have not found walnut media to be very effective as the build up is too thick.

I saw that article before but did not bother to pre treat in the oven since all of my suppressors were already used: I simply soaked the suppressors overnight. This allowed the wiping off of new dirt in the suppressor but not the old dirt from prior use.

The overnight soak also worked in a Gemtech GM9 suppressor that I was shooting a lot of .22 and 9mm in and did not take the suppressor apart for about 2 weeks; which kinda sealed itself. I soaked it overnight in Dot5 silicone brake fluid (bought at Amazon). A few taps with the soft mallet loosened the carbon allowing me to take apart the suppressor. The overnight soak also allowed me to wipe off the dirt left by the .22.

From that point on I just soak them 2 days before shooting day and let it drip dry the day before shooting. Lithium grease on the threads. And take the suppressor apart when I get home and soak in Dot5 Silicone.

For a Form1 suppressor which is mounted on my 22 AR pistol I experimented and cleaned it with Canola oil (generic Fireclean) and 1000 grit sandpaper (if I recall correctly bought from Home Depot). This even removed the grit that was stuck in the inner side of the suppressor tube. Once done, I wiped off excess Canola oil from the freezeplugs and tube. Reassembled the suppressor and soaked it overnight in the Dot5 Silicone. Then lithium grease on the threads on the day of use.

I know that rifle suppressors are supposedly self cleaning but so far the silicone soak makes it easy to clean. I have not tried soaking a sealed can like a Gemtech G5 but sadly I rarely use the AR pistol that is paired to it.

My wife thinks I spend more time cleaning them then using them. :D
    YMMV.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Also an interesting approach that may save some time. Tumbling gets them pretty much clean as new. But you don't really have to get them that clean.

I have used aluminum anti seize on all my threads, which really helps with disassembly as well. A little goes a long way. It will likely end up on the outer tube and can be wiped off with isopropyl easily. Just wiping it with a towel gives it the "battle worn look" as the anti seize kinda just wipes around and gets varying shades of silver. Again a little goes a long way to avoid this. But it has been great at keeping all the pieces easy to get apart and back together smoothly. It collects carbon in the threads which is also easily wiped up. I suggest having a dedicated anti seize old t-shirt; it can get messy fast.

I'll try the dot5 only soak and see how that goes with some mild wiping/ sandpaper or bronze brush for quick cleaning.

I also haven't bothered with the sealed cans as mine also don't get as heavy use and are reportedly self cleaning. If anyone has a method for these I'd be interested. I've read many different opinions that I have no experience with.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I am not looking forward to cleaning mine but, good thing is, most of my cans have stainless steel or titanium internals so I can use me sonic cleaner. I was told not to put aluminum in a sonic cleaner as it eats away at it.

Will try the frog lube thing on my two 22 cans and see if that helps. I shoot them the most anyway.

Dave

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My .22 can has SS baffles. I wet tumble them with SS media. Come out looking new.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My .22 can has SS baffles. I wet tumble them with SS media and dishwashing liquid. Come out looking new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom