• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Anybody ever get FEDERAL Jury duty? I got summoned last Nov and it was different than a week of calling in and going or maybe not going for local jury duty. I got summoned for one precise trial, scheduled for a minimum of 8 weeks. Of course they don't tell you what trial it is, but the night before the trial was supposed to start I was contacted that my service was postponed. Saw on the news that morning a pedophile that was facing federal trial plead out, 99.99% sure that was to be my trial since US vs "his name" was on the court schedule on Friday, but not on Monday. 40,000+ kiddie po*n images and over 100 videos, ick. Wonder how many of them I woulda had to look at as evidence? Again, ick.

Anyway, reason I ask is my "postponed service" got reactivated, apparently to be available to be on a Federal GRAND Jury for the entire month of July. Has anyone reading ever done this? I'm curious how bad this is gonna suck. At least I'll be raking in a cool $40 per day, way better than a paltry $15

Any advice or horror stories are welcome.

Yes, about 6 - 7 years ago for Greenbelt but was able to get out of it by owning a business.

Thank God, a week I could do, 8 weeks or more, not a chance.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Anybody ever get FEDERAL Jury duty? I got summoned last Nov and it was different than a week of calling in and going or maybe not going for local jury duty. I got summoned for one precise trial, scheduled for a minimum of 8 weeks. Of course they don't tell you what trial it is, but the night before the trial was supposed to start I was contacted that my service was postponed. Saw on the news that morning a pedophile that was facing federal trial plead out, 99.99% sure that was to be my trial since US vs "his name" was on the court schedule on Friday, but not on Monday. 40,000+ kiddie po*n images and over 100 videos, ick. Wonder how many of them I woulda had to look at as evidence? Again, ick.

Anyway, reason I ask is my "postponed service" got reactivated, apparently to be available to be on a Federal GRAND Jury for the entire month of July. Has anyone reading ever done this? I'm curious how bad this is gonna suck. At least I'll be raking in a cool $40 per day, way better than a paltry $15

Any advice or horror stories are welcome.

I got called in about 2 years ago for Federal Jury duty in Baltimore, for a 1 month period. I had to go in to the Courthouse the first day and wasn't called. On the second day I went in and was called. The case was an Insurance fraud case, where they expected testimony to last 6 weeks, final arguments and deliberations 2 more weeks. I claimed financial hardship for a trial of that length, as my company wouldn't pay me for that time and I had already used up my vacation time. I was dismissed from that trial and had to log in to the Jury website every afternoon for the next 3 weeks, but didn't have to go back in.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I got called in about 2 years ago for Federal Jury duty in Baltimore, for a 1 month period. I had to go in to the Courthouse the first day and wasn't called. On the second day I went in and was called. The case was an Insurance fraud case, where they expected testimony to last 6 weeks, final arguments and deliberations 2 more weeks. I claimed financial hardship for a trial of that length, as my company wouldn't pay me for that time and I had already used up my vacation time. I was dismissed from that trial and had to log in to the Jury website every afternoon for the next 3 weeks, but didn't have to go back in.

Attorney:' Do you have any experience with insurance companies?'
    Me:'they are all scam artists who weasel out of paying claims. They had it coming.'

That should do.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    The one where they selected a jury, I was gone on a pre-emptive challenge by the defense attorney. Strange thing was, the lady sitting next to be was a county police dispatcher, and she got put on the jury. Go figure.

I was on jury duty with two other guys from VFD. They lined up all the particpants in the trial and asked the jury pool if they had personal knowledge of anyone in front of the court room. All three of us knew all of the prosecution side and figured that would be the end of our participation. HA, two of us were on the jury and the third was an alternate!! That drug dealer went bye-bye.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Clif

Dec 3, 2012
    My was called a couple months ago. Case was child molestation of 12 year old boy. Judge asks if anyone couldn't be fair about this. My wife raised her hand. Judge asks why she couldn't be fair? Wife: I have a 12 year old boy. Judge: You're excused. We still don't know what the outcome was.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I get at least one request a week from a patient trying to get out of jury duty. It's amazing what excuses people try to come up with. Sorry, unless you are disabled you are going to jury duty.

This is in no way reflective of your comment as I agree. I just quoted it to ask you this question: Have you been picked? How do you handle it as a physician business owner. I haven't been summoned yet thank God. I could handle up to two weeks before the financial penalty would hit me hard. The overhead at work is a killer if I was out on something requiring 4-8 weeks or longer. Unless I was voted out a parnter, I'd burn through all my savings and have to start liquidating retirements accounts just to pay the work bills not to mention keeping a roof over my head.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    I also don't know how people can sit on a jury for weeks at a time. While I'm not 100% paycheck to paycheck, I don't have a huge savings account, and it would be a SIGNIFICANT financial burden to ask someone to spend 6+ weeks' worth of savings to sit on a jury. The last time I was called for jury duty I worked for a company which paid X number of Jury Duty days per year. THAT, I could live with, but not if I was LWOP or vacation time.

-John

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom