• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    My friend came over Saturday and we played with VHF digital a bit more.

We were able to reliably transmit 3.8 miles to each other. He has a 5 watt Baofeng, and I have a 75 watt Yaesu FT-2900.

When he went to the next highest hill away, about 6 miles, he could get enough signal from me to break squelch and pick up some text but mostly gibberish. I could not get any signal from him to break squelch.

I don't know if we are using the wrong digital mode or if this just isn't possible. It seems to me that if I am blasting 75 watts he should be able to hear me at 6 miles away.

No. I have an Ed Fong antenna mounted on my roof, so it's about 20 feet off the ground. I'm also on the north side of a hill.

My friend was using an antenna external to his car for this experiment. I don't know the particular model but it's at least outside the vehicle.

At this point I wonder if we are trying to do the impossible.

What's it called again where you blast 6M into the sky in order to reach a small local area?

Ed Fong makes a mighty fine antenna, but a Yaesu FT-2900 does not do VHF digital modes (or even SSB) at least natively. What TNC or mode were you trying out? 75 watts at even 6 miles should be easily doable on 2M (absent terrain obstructions).

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Is anyone on this forum involved with Carroll County Amateur Radio Club?

I have next Saturday free so I'm looking for a club to participate in Field Day this year.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Ed Fong makes a mighty fine antenna, but a Yaesu FT-2900 does not do VHF digital modes (or even SSB) at least natively. What TNC or mode were you trying out? 75 watts at even 6 miles should be easily doable on 2M (absent terrain obstructions).
    I am using a SignaLink, I forget what my friend was using, but something cheaper.

Is anyone on this forum involved with Carroll County Amateur Radio Club?

I have next Saturday free so I'm looking for a club to participate in Field Day this year.

Received a reply from Andy that CCARC isn't doing anything formal for Field Day this year.

I really want to get involved and back into the hobby.

Is anyone else here doing something for Field Day and mind if I stop by?

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    Columbia Amateur Radio Association and Potomac Valley Radio Club put on one of (if not THE) largest field day setups. I was there a couple years ago and they had 28 stations set up. They do it at Triadelphia Ridge Elementary School at the corner of Folly Quarter and Triadelphia Roads in Ellicott City.

Reach out to info@columbiaara.org if you're interested.

I am using a SignaLink, I forget what my friend was using, but something cheaper.

Received a reply from Andy that CCARC isn't doing anything formal for Field Day this year.

I really want to get involved and back into the hobby.

Is anyone else here doing something for Field Day and mind if I stop by?

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Columbia Amateur Radio Association and Potomac Valley Radio Club put on one of (if not THE) largest field day setups. I was there a couple years ago and they had 28 stations set up. They do it at Triadelphia Ridge Elementary School at the corner of Folly Quarter and Triadelphia Roads in Ellicott City.

Reach out to info@columbiaara.org if you're interested.

Thanks for the tip.

The group in Frederick responded and invited me to stop by.

I really have the itch now to buy more equipment and study for General.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Does anyone own a Buddipole? The commercial one, not a homebrew.

If so, then how did you like it? worth the money?

Hey Jim! Long time no chat. I've been away from the board too long.

When Budd was "inventing" the Buddipole, I was part of a QRP portable group where a bunch of us would meet on the air and chat. Budd and I had a free schedule and I'd give him nightly reports from Eldersburg to Reading, CA as he was testing the antenna. We were both operating 5w, coast to coast, when conditions were good. I was using a G5RV with him on his Buddipole. I don't own one, but I can tell you that Budd put a good solid year into nightly testing in order to get this right, before he found a supplier that could help him make an antenna that lasts. I believe it's a compromise (anything with a coil or cap is) but that it is a great product from a very passionate man who cared enough about his personal design, to see it through to production. The original W3FF antenna was a home-built and was published in QST magazine. The commercial is nothing like it, but something better.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland

I took a trip down to W3AO and got to see their 16 station setup. Never visited before. I was working FD from home, battery power, and made roughly 300 QSOs. It was great to see W3AO in person and get a good tour. Their GOTA station was queued up with about 5 different people waiting to operate and they had 3-4 generators keeping everything powered. One tent even had a heat pump creating A/C. They went all out. :party29:

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Hey Jim! Long time no chat. I've been away from the board too long.

When Budd was "inventing" the Buddipole, I was part of a QRP portable group where a bunch of us would meet on the air and chat. Budd and I had a free schedule and I'd give him nightly reports from Eldersburg to Reading, CA as he was testing the antenna. We were both operating 5w, coast to coast, when conditions were good. I was using a G5RV with him on his Buddipole. I don't own one, but I can tell you that Budd put a good solid year into nightly testing in order to get this right, before he found a supplier that could help him make an antenna that lasts. I believe it's a compromise (anything with a coil or cap is) but that it is a great product from a very passionate man who cared enough about his personal design, to see it through to production. The original W3FF antenna was a home-built and was published in QST magazine. The commercial is nothing like it, but something better.

Hey! Thanks. This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I think I am going to save up for the deluxe model. $400 including everything. I seem to have more opportunity to operate portable than fixed so this would be really useful to me.

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    Upcoming Technician Class for anyone interested: very good class and it's free

Technician Class Course - Fall 2017
    Submitted by WA3AER on Tue, 08/08/2017 - 15:07
    Free seven (7) week Technician Class. Students must provide their own current ARRL HAM Radio License Manual - 3rd Edition.

When: Thursdays from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m., Starting Thursday, September 7, 2017
    Where: National Electronics Museum - 1745 West Nursery Road, Linthicum, MD 20190

Space accommodations are limited, so please RSVP to reserve a spot in this class.

For information or to RVSP, please email Rol Anders at: roland.anders@comcast.net or call (410) 796-4792.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Heck, just ordered 3 .

Added - Stand by for a plea next week concerning ( whatever needs to be done with/ to them to make them talk to each other . I'm in touch with and comfortable in my Luddite-ness .)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom