• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Not gun related but this is a pretty good deal for a 42 piece Craftsman torx set. It's normally a $100 set so this is $70 off

42 piece drive and Torx wrench set includes: 1/4-Inch Drive: 5 Standard hex bit sockets (3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8"); 3 Torx bit sockets (T15, T20, T25); 3 External Torx sockets (E6, E7, E8); 3/8-Inch Drive: 6 Standard hex bit sockets (5/32, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8"); 6 Metric hex bit sockets (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10mm); 3 Slotted screwdriver bit sockets (7/32, 9/32, 3/8"); 3 Phillips screwdriver bit sockets (#1, #2, #3); 6 Torx bit sockets (T27, T30, T40, T45, T47, T50); 4 External torx sockets (E10, E12, E14, E16); Quick-Release Ratchet' 6" Extension Bar and 1/4" Adapter.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-42-p...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    craftsman tools aren't what they used to be ...

Sadly true.

The "lifetime guarantee" translates into "If it breaks we'll replace it with whatever piece of crap we have on hand now, which is cheesier than the one you broke."

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena

Because the company I used to work for manufactured the Craftsman from the 70's until the end of 2010. That's when several things took place:
    Sears wanted to go all import
    Napa wanted to go import (my company made their hand tools as well)
    The owner of my company wanted to sell of the tool business which in turn put about 160 of us out of jobs at the Hanover Md distribution center
    Put hundreds of people out of work in our plants in NC, SC, GA, CT and AR.

Yes, I am still bitter! The best job I ever had and wanted to retire from there. Spent 23 years there.
    The guy that owns the corporation that used to own the company I worked for is now the second richest BILLIONAIRE in Maryland. Second to the schmuck that owns under armor.

Glock 'n Roll

Aug 19, 2013
    Smithsburg
    I bought one of these sets a few months ago. With points, I paid about $20. Seems I'm always grabbing it for various projects. Well worth the money.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    ordered a set, thanks for the heads up.

Craftsman hand tools still work OK for my needs... if I were a professional making my living with my tools, not so much. Craftsman power tools are another story, they lost me on those a long time ago.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Because the company I used to work for manufactured the Craftsman from the 70's until the end of 2010. That's when several things took place:
    The owner of my company wanted to sell of the tool business which in turn put about 160 of us out of jobs at the Hanover Md distribution center

Yes, I am still bitter! The best job I ever had and wanted to retire from there. Spent 23 years there.
    The guy that owns the corporation that used to own the company I worked for is now the second richest BILLIONAIRE in Maryland. Second to the schmuck that owns under armor.

Still, Hillary needs your vote :lol2:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Sold the business? So someone still makes decent tools in the USA?

Last time I looked, Proto and S&K were still USA. A few Craftsman tools, like adjustable wrenches and punches were. I used to only buy Craftsman hand tools, then I started seeing Craftsman socket sets imported but still at made in USA prices:mad54: If I'm going to get foreign junk tools, I might as well save some money with Husky or Kobalt. They seem to be as good :shrug:. Every Christmas my father-in-law would give me a big Sears gift card...this year I'm going to ask for something else:sad20:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Exactly. I ironically discovered Gearwrench by ordering the largest Craftsman tap & die set possible. Think I spent $230 on it after a coupon. Well, the blow molded box said "Gearwrench" on it, but the carboard packaging was Craftsman. So, I went to Gearwrench's website and found the same exact set, but with a ratcheting wrench in lieu of the solid one, and a couple more extras for $199. Been buying Gearwrench ever since.

I really like the Gearwrench low profile sockets. I bought the allen/tork set for them and the low profile saved my butt this past January when changing out a 2" EGR cooler hose on my truck.

I own a lot of Craftsman tools that are 30 years old. Hope I never break any and have to replace them with the new junk they sell.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    Sold the business? So someone still makes decent tools in the USA?
    Yes. Danaher Tool Group was sold to Cooper Tools. It is now called Apex Tool Group because of an agreement made between them. Their main plant is in Apex, NC.

ordered a set, thanks for the heads up.

Craftsman hand tools still work OK for my needs... if I were a professional making my living with my tools, not so much. Craftsman power tools are another story, they lost me on those a long time ago.
    I agree that for this price it is a great value.
    Still, Hillary needs your vote :lol2:
    Sorry. That ain't going to happen.
    Last time I looked, Proto and S&K were still USA. A few Craftsman tools, like adjustable wrenches and punches were. I used to only buy Craftsman hand tools, then I started seeing Craftsman socket sets imported but still at made in USA prices:mad54: If I'm going to get foreign junk tools, I might as well save some money with Husky or Kobalt. They seem to be as good :shrug:. Every Christmas my father-in-law would give me a big Sears gift card...this year I'm going to ask for something else:sad20:
    Proto and SK are still good. I would recommend SK at this point. I like the SK brand. I like the way it looks as well as the quality. Here's the kicker! A secret maybe. My old company bought parts from SK and SK bought stuff from us. We marked there name of stuff and visa versa.
    We also used to make the Kobalt brand until 2010 when some imported sets caused an issue at the retail level. Then Lowes kicked us out.
    Exactly. I ironically discovered Gearwrench by ordering the largest Craftsman tap & die set possible. Think I spent $230 on it after a coupon. Well, the blow molded box said "Gearwrench" on it, but the carboard packaging was Craftsman. So, I went to Gearwrench's website and found the same exact set, but with a ratcheting wrench in lieu of the solid one, and a couple more extras for $199. Been buying Gearwrench ever since.

I really like the Gearwrench low profile sockets. I bought the allen/tork set for them and the low profile saved my butt this past January when changing out a 2" EGR cooler hose on my truck.

I own a lot of Craftsman tools that are 30 years old. Hope I never break any and have to replace them with the new junk they sell.

Gearwrench was part of Danaher when we were still in the picture. Here's that story:
    We were buying blow mold cases from some place in Taiwan. Then they asked this company to make this new brand they wanted to call Gearwrench. Once they decided it was going to be profitable, they bought up the company in Taiwan.
    A little time went by and they also produced some Gearwrench product in Japan. This may still be the case.
    The stuff that looks like Gearwrench at Sears is the same stuff in different packaging. You can find the same stuff at Napa, Ace Hardware and other places with different packaging.

What Apex has done, by the looks of the website, is done away with the parent brand that made Danaher what it was. KD Tools seems not to exist anymore.

Jacobs chucks was bought up by Danaher about 1999 or so. They had a huge plant in Clemson SC. They ran that plant 24/7. Now that is all closed up and Jacobs is all China (I believe).

Apex still has the Armstrong brand which is an industrial brand. As far as I know all of that is still manufactured in Texas, the last plant we had left. It also looks as if Apex has held onto Matco which was also part of Danaher Tool Group.

When I started there in 1988 it was called Easco / KD Tools.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Seems like all US manufacturing is gone or on the way out.
    It's been years since I bought a hand tool retail - everything is now old USA off Ebay but that's getting more and more scarce. Damn shame.

Yes. Danaher Tool Group was sold to Cooper Tools. It is now called Apex Tool Group because of an agreement made between them. Their main plant is in Apex, NC.

I agree that for this price it is a great value.

Sorry. That ain't going to happen.

Proto and SK are still good. I would recommend SK at this point. I like the SK brand. I like the way it looks as well as the quality. Here's the kicker! A secret maybe. My old company bought parts from SK and SK bought stuff from us. We marked there name of stuff and visa versa.
    We also used to make the Kobalt brand until 2010 when some imported sets caused an issue at the retail level. Then Lowes kicked us out.

Gearwrench was part of Danaher when we were still in the picture. Here's that story:
    We were buying blow mold cases from some place in Taiwan. Then they asked this company to make this new brand they wanted to call Gearwrench. Once they decided it was going to be profitable, they bought up the company in Taiwan.
    A little time went by and they also produced some Gearwrench product in Japan. This may still be the case.
    The stuff that looks like Gearwrench at Sears is the same stuff in different packaging. You can find the same stuff at Napa, Ace Hardware and other places with different packaging.

What Apex has done, by the looks of the website, is done away with the parent brand that made Danaher what it was. KD Tools seems not to exist anymore.

Jacobs chucks was bought up by Danaher about 1999 or so. They had a huge plant in Clemson SC. They ran that plant 24/7. Now that is all closed up and Jacobs is all China (I believe).

Apex still has the Armstrong brand which is an industrial brand. As far as I know all of that is still manufactured in Texas, the last plant we had left. It also looks as if Apex has held onto Matco which was also part of Danaher Tool Group.

When I started there in 1988 it was called Easco / KD Tools.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville

Easco ?

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Yes. Refer to post #14.........Why? Do I know you?

Didnt read that far when I posted.

Nope, most people thought Craftsman mage their own tools, but when you look at the Craftsman numbers, and the Easco numbers they were the same. I got into many arguements about that when I was a mechanic for a living.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD

I'd be bitter, too. Any recommendations on reasonably priced hand tools made in the US? I have purchased a few Armstrong tools that are US made. So far, they seem nice. A lot better than current Craftsman stuff at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom