• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Never said winning or doing well was unimportant. What I and others have said is that one doesn't need formal training in IDPA to come out, shoot a match and have fun.

Now that I have several matches under my belt I would be interested in taking a class on how to get better/faster but in every club match I have shot there has been at least one noob and everybody in the squad was helping them out.

Competition, yes, but not to the point that the new guys are left to figure it out on their own.

Fair enough, but I want to make the point that the idea of a match being "just a local match" can be detrimental to your competitive potential in the long run. IMO one should approach any match local or major in "match mode" rather than as practice.

On the flip side, if you want to show up and shoot for fun there's certainly nothing wrong with that. However don't expect to necessarily place high in the standings.

I got the sense from the OP that he is interested in not just having fun, but also doing well in competition.

Edit: ps Stoveman we would love to have you at our competitive skills course. The %50off code DDCMDS plays for you too!

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. Want to get started but inexplicably want every answer to every possible question first. It's frustrating to be me.

Due to the # of quality classes I've had, I'm not one to equate these shooting sports with totally realistic "tactics", but look at them as an opportunity to increase accuracy at speed, improve manipulation skills, etc.

Am.I correct for IDPA that I don't have to start with a Classifier, but can instead just sign up for a match and just go? Then I guess I'd do a classifier later, when I can? Biggest issue for me has been scheduling. Hopefully I'll get my feet wet this summer and can dive in a little more forcefully next year.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yes classifier doesn't have to be your first match. have to go back and look at the rules but don't think you ever 'have' to take the classifier, just if you want to shoot a major match.

i run an idpa squad at peacemaker every month (www.peacemakernational.com), west of frederick, north of winchester, south of hagerstown. anyone who wants to get started in idpa is absolutely welcome to sign up for the match and squad with me and you can count on learning the game and having fun. next one is sat july 30.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    You can go to local matches as unclassified.

You only need to be classified at major/sanctioned matches.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. Want to get started but inexplicably want every answer to every possible question first. It's frustrating to be me.

Due to the # of quality classes I've had, I'm not one to equate these shooting sports with totally realistic "tactics", but look at them as an opportunity to increase accuracy at speed, improve manipulation skills, etc.

Am.I correct for IDPA that I don't have to start with a Classifier, but can instead just sign up for a match and just go? Then I guess I'd do a classifier later, when I can? Biggest issue for me has been scheduling. Hopefully I'll get my feet wet this summer and can dive in a little more forcefully next year.

I don't think you even need to have an IDPA membership to shoot your first match!

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD

Isn't is frustrating to be like this? I don't think I am even capable of "just doing it"... LOL

You said it perfectly, "every answer to every possible question first".

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I did the Thurmont skills class as an "intro" before I did a match and it was perfect for me. Highly recommend it.

Thanks for your push, but your suggestion is NOT enough. They're going to sharpen pencils, break out the protractors and slide rules, pull out the shinny new pocket protectors and put fresh tape on the bridge of their glasses. Expect to see them at a match after 18-20 pages of prodding.

It's ok, 'cause there are gun geeks and firearms nerds among shooters at all IDPA matches.

Fly little birds, fly...

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    you're overthinking this. i guess just go watch a match so you can see what is involved. but i haven't met a person yet who went to just watch a match and wasn't disappointed they didn't bring their gear and actually do the match.

Winner..

OP, watch some Jerry Miculek in competition then maybe you'll come back to earth? ;)
    He could start every stage in Frederick with an unloaded revolver, (against loaded semis) and the gap between he and the rest would be staggering. Are you contemplating money and sponsorships?

This is your ticket as the scores do not get posted nationally.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    ok my last post and then you're on your own. no one ID"s you at matches so if you're worried about folks seeing you suck at idpa, just sign up under a bogus name so at least it won't show in print. but seriously, if you're in the firearms biz and/or have had even a little training and/or have no training but are safe and relatively proficient, you will do just fine and will have fun. at each stage let them know you're new and they'll put you last so you can see and follow what the others are doing. easy peasy.

and not that it is (it isn't) but if you think idpa is too big of a first step, go do a steel challenge match. stand, draw, shoot five plates, holster; repeat five times.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    ok my last post and then you're on your own. no one ID"s you at matches so if you're worried about folks seeing you suck at idpa, just sign up under a bogus name so at least it won't show in print. but seriously, if you're in the firearms biz and/or have had even a little training and/or have no training but are safe and relatively proficient, you will do just fine and will have fun. at each stage let them know you're new and they'll put you last so you can see and follow what the others are doing. easy peasy. and not that it is (it isn't) but if you think idpa is too big of a first step, go do a steel challenge match. stand, draw, shoot five plates, holster; repeat five times.

I can't stress this enough. Listen to this man. He gave me this advice years ago and I jumped right in. I'm still learning all the games/rules and which I like best. I shoot at Peacemaker several times a month. If you'd like to go shoot falling steel at the end of the month, or if you can sneak away on a Thursday or Friday morning to train in the bays at Peacemaker, I'm happy to help.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Thank you to everyone who posted their opinions. I really appreciate the advice. For the record, I am not afraid of anything. I have a healthy respect for the shooting sports because I have seen first hand what unprepared people can do, and that is why I'm seeking some sort of training for this new endeavor. When I turned 16, my parents didn't hand me the keys to a car and say, "Jump right in. You'll figure it out as you go." To me, being prepared for something as potentially dangerous as a shooting match is no different. It's not being a pencil pushing geek or worried about how others perceive me. On the contrary, others' opinions of me do not factor into my life at all. It's about doing my best and doing it without any extra holes in me or anyone else... LOL

As I said in the original post, I can handle my own with a handgun and have done so for many decades. I just like to be prepared for new things. When I started trap shooting, for example, I had some pretty good mentors that walked me through each step and now I consistently shoot 22-24. Things are a whole lot more fun when you're good at something... LOL

I'm not looking for sponsorships or money from this. I'm just trying to be a better shooter and have some fun in the process. With my limited time at ranges, I don't get to practice any sort of holster drawing, quick mag changes and moving while shooting. I learned a while ago that these are perishable skills (thanks, Adam).

I will do some more research and practice when and where I can, and hopefully soon I will get to meet all of you at a match somewhere soon and get to see how it's done.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Thank you to everyone who posted their opinions. I really appreciate the advice. For the record, I am not afraid of anything. I have a healthy respect for the shooting sports because I have seen first hand what unprepared people can do, and that is why I'm seeking some sort of training for this new endeavor. When I turned 16, my parents didn't hand me the keys to a car and say, "Jump right in. You'll figure it out as you go." To me, being prepared for something as potentially dangerous as a shooting match is no different. It's not being a pencil pushing geek or worried about how others perceive me. On the contrary, others' opinions of me do not factor into my life at all. It's about doing my best and doing it without any extra holes in me or anyone else... LOL

As I said in the original post, I can handle my own with a handgun and have done so for many decades. I just like to be prepared for new things. When I started trap shooting, for example, I had some pretty good mentors that walked me through each step and now I consistently shoot 22-24. Things are a whole lot more fun when you're good at something... LOL

I'm not looking for sponsorships or money from this. I'm just trying to be a better shooter and have some fun in the process. With my limited time at ranges, I don't get to practice any sort of holster drawing, quick mag changes and moving while shooting. I learned a while ago that these are perishable skills (thanks, Adam).

I will do some more research and practice when and where I can, and hopefully soon I will get to meet all of you at a match somewhere soon and get to see how it's done.

Re the highlighted section: luckily you do not need range time to practice these things extremely effectively. In fact most of this practice can and should be done dry fire.
    Here are a couple excellent dry fire manuals for competition that will put you way ahead of the casual competition:

https://www.amazon.com/Dry-Fire-Training-Practical-Pistol-Shooter/dp/1497319633

https://www.amazon.com/Refinement-Repetition-Dry-fire-Dramatic-Improvement/dp/1930847769

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Re the highlighted section: luckily you do not need range time to practice these things extremely effectively. In fact most of this practice can and should be done dry fire.

I should have clarified this point a little better. We have a few laser training systems that I use all the time, and I do dry fire practice all the time at home. I should have said "live fire holster drawing and mag changes". The perception with dry fire practice is, no one can get hurt. For me, anyway, live fire practice and shooting changes the ball game a little.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I should have clarified this point a little better. We have a few laser training systems that I use all the time, and I do dry fire practice all the time at home. I should have said "live fire holster drawing and mag changes". The perception with dry fire practice is, no one can get hurt. For me, anyway, live fire practice and shooting changes the ball game a little.

Understood. Still, check out those books. Takes dry fire to a whole other level!

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    There's gonna be a bump in road when that buzzer goes off. Many of us complain about its demon magic on our shooting ability. After 5 years I did get out from under its spell.

Happy and safe shooting.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I've looked through the forums and can't find anything recent for this. Please post links if there is something.

I've been looking to get into IDPA and would like to know where to go for beginner training into the sport in the Baltimore area. I'm certainly not new to handguns and can carry my own in a gun fight, but a sport is different. Any idea where to go? There are a few of us interested if any instructors are willing to teach us.

Thanks in advance,
    Chuck

Check us out!
    http://www.ddctraining.net/Competitive Shooting.asp
    I think exactly what you are looking for.

Taught by DDC instructors: IDPA Master Trevor S. and USPSA Master Bennett B.

MDS members can get both classes on August 13th for %50 off with discount code: DDCMDS.

*this %50 discount for the course listed above only!

Chuck - You and I took instructor classes together at Frederick a couple of years ago, and I enjoyed working with you and your guys. I'm glad to see your business is going well.

Trevor is an awesome shooter, and if you'r google is strong, you can find some of his matches on Youtube. I would love to take a class from him, and know that I'd be a better shooter and instructor for doing so. He can no doubt bring you up to speed on IDPA and you'll be very comfortable from your first match on. It sounds like taking his course would be a good way in for you.

As others have said, many people come watch part of a match and then jump in. Getting your feet wet & then spending time with Trevor would also be a good way to go.

I shoot frequently at Thurmont, and am match director at Frederick. I also shoot at Anne Arundel F&G, although infrequently this year. I believe that Trevor shoots a lot at Anne Arundel, and probably also travels around a bit to get to a number of the bigger sanctioned matches.But he can speak for himself.

Anyway, my point is, you can't go wrong whichever way you want to do it. Should you decide to come watch a match at Thurmont (TCSC IDPA) or Frederick IWLA, PM me and I'll be happy to show you around and catch you up on what's going on. If you decide to take a class with Trevor and get a flavor of IDPA from him, I've no doubt you'll have a great time.

No matter how you come to the game, I look forward to seeing you on the range soon!

Troy.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Chuck - You and I took instructor classes together at Frederick a couple of years ago, and I enjoyed working with you and your guys. I'm glad to see your business is going well.

Trevor is an awesome shooter, and if you'r google is strong, you can find some of his matches on Youtube. I would love to take a class from him, and know that I'd be a better shooter and instructor for doing so. He can no doubt bring you up to speed on IDPA and you'll be very comfortable from your first match on. It sounds like taking his course would be a good way in for you.

As others have said, many people come watch part of a match and then jump in. Getting your feet wet & then spending time with Trevor would also be a good way to go.

I shoot frequently at Thurmont, and am match director at Frederick. I also shoot at Anne Arundel F&G, although infrequently this year. I believe that Trevor shoots a lot at Anne Arundel, and probably also travels around a bit to get to a number of the bigger sanctioned matches.But he can speak for himself.

Anyway, my point is, you can't go wrong whichever way you want to do it. Should you decide to come watch a match at Thurmont (TCSC IDPA) or Frederick IWLA, PM me and I'll be happy to show you around and catch you up on what's going on. If you decide to take a class with Trevor and get a flavor of IDPA from him, I've no doubt you'll have a great time.

No matter how you come to the game, I look forward to seeing you on the range soon!

Troy.

Thanks Troy! Hope to see you at AAFG this summer. I'll also try and get out to Thurmont if possible.

OP like Troy offered, if you get in with AAFG IDPA, take their new shooter class and sign up for a match PM me and I'll get us squaded together. I know from experience that it is very helpful to have a squad mate help you through your first couple matches.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Well, I'm not sure where the OP is with everything, but I joined IDPA last night and signed up to attend the training/observation thingy at AAFG this Saturday. If all goes well, maybe I'll shoot a match on the 23rd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom