• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    When I lived in Wisconsin one of the outdoor ranges used to have "Action Pistol" events once a week. We'd shoot steel, bowling pins, paper, dueling trees, Texas stars, and etc.. You'd move around through the course and use cover sometimes, much like IDPA. It was timed by the range officers, but not overly competitive. You could use any handgun you wanted (although I think there was a caliber restriction so you wouldn't destroy the steel targets). Most people used 9mm, .40, .45acp, or 38 super.

There was a mix of talent levels, but everyone was cool with each other. I was a good shot, but was new to running around. Some of the more seasoned guys used to be very helpful.

Is there anything like that around here? I know there are IDPA matches and such, but I'm really not interested in competing. I also like to use my CZ SP-01 which I believe is too heavy/big for IDPA, as well as having larger capacity magazines. I really miss doing those events. There aren't many outdoor ranges around here, other than clubs that you have to join. I can still shoot well, but I can't move my fat butt around like I used to.

Thanks in advance, guys. I tried a search, but my search isn't working. I apologize for my ignorance!!!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    monocacy pistol club in frederick has a few somewhat informal steel matches, all standing stationary. have to be a member or invited by member.

handful of clubs host "steel challenge" matches (peacemaker national west of frederick being one of them). all stationary except for one stage where you move maybe 10 feet. 4 to 8 stages, each stage has five plates you shoot five times each in five different strings.

peacemaker has a uspsa-style (run and shoot) falling steel monthly match called supersteel. it's a competition but pretty relaxed although frankly even uspsa and idpa events are pretty friendly, nothing cutthroat or the like. what is funner than running around and shooting falling steel!?!? poppers, plates, texas stars, polish/propeller plate racks, regular plate racks.

gravitas tactical/north mtn below winchester has a monthly uspsa-style falling steel match.

again while these are all technically competitions, everyone has fun, helps each other out, etc.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    fyi idpa does have restrictions regarding guns, modifications and # rounds in a mag, but generally in uspsa, falling steel, steel challenge and the like you can pretty much use whatever gun you want, fill your mags, etc. generally with anything but a relatively stock gun, you'd enter in the "limited" division, or if your gun has an optic or comp/porting, you'd enter in "open" division.

also fyi, i am doing morning idpa and afternoon supersteel at peacemaker on sat, july 30th. would be happy to show you the ropes. register for the match(es) and bring what you have and we'll make it work. www.peacemakernational.com

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Like he says lots to choose from. Being competitive means developing skills to do it better even if you don't particularly want to think about it as being able to beat someone else. Every skill in shooting that enables you to do that better improves your ability to shoot in general. You will find the better you do the more enjoyable it is to do it.
    Action Pistol is a general term for what would be called an outlaw match, meaning it is not sanctioned by any organization in particular but requires skills that cover all or most of them. All IDPA, USPSA, IPSC, Steel Challenge, 3-gun, 2-gun, PPC, SASS, Bianchi Cup, and others all fall into the group of action pistol. Where they split off is the various rules philosophy and equipment. But basically they all involve speed shooting as the base skill with a little to a lot of actually run and gun included as well. The least would be Steel Challenge and the most would be like the most physical of 3-gun events, which is coming to Peacemaker in late September as the MGM Ironman East 3-Gun.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    monocacy pistol club in frederick has a few somewhat informal steel matches, all standing stationary. have to be a member or invited by member. handful of clubs host "steel challenge" matches (peacemaker national west of frederick being one of them). all stationary except for one stage where you move maybe 10 feet. 4 to 8 stages, each stage has five plates you shoot five times each in five different strings. peacemaker has a uspsa-style (run and shoot) falling steel monthly match called supersteel. it's a competition but pretty relaxed although frankly even uspsa and idpa events are pretty friendly, nothing cutthroat or the like. what is funner than running around and shooting falling steel!?!? poppers, plates, texas stars, polish/propeller plate racks, regular plate racks. gravitas tactical/north mtn below winchester has a monthly uspsa-style falling steel match. again while these are all technically competitions, everyone has fun, helps each other out, etc.

Listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about and he helped me get a Peacemaker membership years ago. He also was rocking the stage I saw him run at the last Falling Steel.

JSC

Jun 30, 2014
    Mr. Blue

Welcome to te Peoples Republic of Maryland!

I live near Walkersville and am planning to shoot at Sanners Lake next weekend. You're welcome to ride along.
    Also, I'm told that The Machine Gun Nest on Riech Ford's Road in Frederick has recently started a USPSA style "outlaw" match on thursday evenings. Haven't shot it yet so I can't comment on the number or type of stages they offer.

Jack

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    Try the fun shoots at York. They are offered on the fourth Saturday of almost every month I believe.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    All idpa matches are open to the public, regardless of where they are hosted. Also, most club level match directors will let you shoot "NFC", that is, Not For Competition, which means they're also not going to be worrying too much about specific penalties, equipment requirements, etc. & will mostly focus on keeping you & the other shooters safe. And I have yet to shoot an idpa match in the last 3 years or so where they're weren't fat butts making their way through the stages. Search the threads for matches at Thurmont -TCSC, Frederick IWLA, Anne Arundel Fish & Game-AAFG, Peacemaker-PNTC, Fairfax IWLA (I think), the NRA indoor range, & Sanners Lake. Also, until you register for a sanctioned match (tier 2 or above), you're not going to even sense any competitive juices in these local "tier 1" matches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom