• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheRussianNightmare

Sep 17, 2012
    I was considering purchasing an AR lower, building a cheap stater HBAR, and giving it to my 18 year old son. Is there any legal problem with that?

I know 21 is the minimum age to buy a lower, but 18 is the minimum age for a rifle. He would receive a complete, legal rifle.

Also, if I built it into a pistol first, disassembled, and rebuilt as a rifle, would he be able to revert it to pistol at age 21?

I don't believe any paper work would be required to transfer the complete long gun, correct?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I was considering purchasing an AR lower, building a cheap stater HBAR, and giving it to my 18 year old son. Is there any legal problem with that?

No legal issues although a Bill Of Sale is recommended

I know 21 is the minimum age to buy a lower, but 18 is the minimum age for a rifle. He would receive a complete, legal rifle.

Also, if I built it into a pistol first, disassembled, and rebuilt as a rifle, would he be able to revert it to pistol at age 21?

No because it would be transferred as a rifle it would not be able to legally revert to a pistol.

I don't believe any paper work would be required to transfer the complete long gun, correct?

None required by law

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Would the lower still be considered an Other/Pistol/77R?

Making paperwork a requirement?

No, once it's completed as an HBAR and transferred as such that supercedes the 77R. It will still be "registered" under your name, but the bill of sale will prove you disposed of it properly.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Is this a "straw purchase", since the purchaser (father) is not the actual intended recipient (son)?

How does the law work in that regard, if you want to give a long-gun as a gift?

Not a straw purchase. There's actually a section on the 4473 if you intend to give it as a gift.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

That's probably perfectly legal but I would just buy him a complete rifle. They are cheap now, and that way there is no state paperwork associated with the lower with your name on it. Keep it simple.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    OP, it's in other threads (that I would pull up if not on the phone), but any non regulated rifle (which is all of them these days in MD, incl HBARs, Mini 14s, 300 BLK ARs, KS-47s, etc) can be given to 16 year olds by their guardians. In addition, if they've successfully completed hunter safety training, they can legally possess a long gun at an even younger age. My 13-yr has a 22LR rifle (albeit kept in my safe that he can't access - until there's reason to get a safe that he can access). He'll be getting more if it's clear MD is going to pass some new restrictive legislation that would otherwise restrict his future rights.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

TheRussianNightmare

Sep 17, 2012
    OP, it's in other threads (that I would pull up if not on the phone), but any non regulated rifle (which is all of them these days in MD, incl HBARs, Mini 14s, 300 BLK ARs, KS-47s, etc) can be given to 16 year olds by their guardians. In addition, if they've successfully completed hunter safety training, they can legally possess a long gun at an even younger age. My 13-yr has a 22LR rifle (albeit kept in my safe that he can't access - until there's reason to get a safe that he can access). He'll be getting more if it's clear MD is going to pass some new restrictive legislation that would otherwise restrict his future rights.

Fantastic information. Thank you for posting.:thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Is this a "straw purchase", since the purchaser (father) is not the actual intended recipient (son)?

How does the law work in that regard, if you want to give a long-gun as a gift?

Gifts are legal.

A straw purchase is where the final recipient may not legally buy the firearm or the intent is to hide the final recipient.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you buy ir of your own initive and funds, and give it y o your son, it's a legit gift. I he hands you $800 or however much , and says " Dad, buy this for me" , it's straw.

As to your buying stripped lower into pistol, then reconfigure into HBAR, give to son, and he subsequently re-re- converts to pistol on 21st Bday ? Congradulations ! As far as I remember, this has never come up before. I quickly conceived of rationals for yes and no. I * think * the yes is controling, but I'd have to research more fine than have time before naptime.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you buy ir of your own initive and funds, and give it y o your son, it's a legit gift. I he hands you $800 or however much , and says " Dad, buy this for me" , it's straw.

Maybe. Maybe not. But probably.

What was the intent of son handing over the money for the purchase?

How about this one: Son hands Dad $800 to buy pistol, as Son is 18. Dad purchases, maintains possession, lets Son shoot it. At 21, Dad transfers pistol to Son.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel

As to your buying stripped lower into pistol, then reconfigure into HBAR, give to son, and he subsequently re-re- converts to pistol on 21st Bday ? Congradulations ! As far as I remember, this has never come up before. I quickly conceived of rationals for yes and no. I * think * the yes is controling, but I'd have to research more fine than have time before naptime.

I have been reading up on this and probably figured a bunch of incorrect stuff. But, if you buy an AR rifle, you have to fill out the forms for an SBR to make it a pistol. If you buy an AR pistol you can make it into a rifle and then turn it back into a pistol. This assumes you don't have the pistol barrel and the stock on at the same time.

I was thinking about getting an AR but now I'm looking at a Sig AR pistol instead.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    A local dealer gave me flack on this last Christmas.

I wanted to build a hbar as a gift for my 25 year old son. We went to a local dealer and I told him about what I had planned. I wanted my son, to go through the paperwork and I'll pay for the receiver.

He gave me a song and dance number about this was a straw purchase. Really?

He refused to take my money and suggested that I should just buy a gift certificate instead.

I will never go back to this store. Too much ******** comes with the sales talk. It's insulting .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom