• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sd40ve

Oct 31, 2017
    wherever i'm sent
    First post... had to share this.

I said,
    "As your constituent, I cannot understand how you could think a YEA vote on HR8 is appropriate. It seems too many folks are not "voting their conscience" anymore, and are falling victim to manipulation along party lines.

I am disappointed and will be sure to spread the word that you do not seem to understand or wish to protect our Constitutional Right to keep and bear arms. The Second Amendment is not a second-class right. Please stop treating it as such.

I will be praying for you."

He replied,
    "Dear Xxxxx Xxxxx:

One of the best parts of my job is hearing from constituents. I appreciate that you have taken the time to contact me, and I welcome this opportunity to respond directly to your concerns.

Like you, I believe that most gun owners are responsible and wish to do no harm to others. And I understand how, in the wake of instances of extreme gun violence, you feel your right to practice the hobbies you are entitled to under our Second Amendment have come under threat.

Further, I agree with many Americans that, to a certain extent, it’s the shooter, not the gun. Mental health is a big part of the problem and must be addressed. But we can also reduce the carnage with common-sense measures. That is why I support a ban on the importation, sale, manufacture, transfer or possession of a semiautomatic assault weapon. To be clear, this is not a ban on all guns, but a ban on the ones that cause the most harm.

What I do not support is the seizure of ordinary firearms capable of protecting your family or commonly used by sportsmen. Good public policy is based on balance, and I truly believe we can achieve a balance between upholding the Second Amendment and ensuring public safety with common-sense measures that are already supported by most Americans.

To stay current on issues that are facing Congress and your community, please sign up for my e-Newsletter at www.dutch.house.gov and follow me on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

Sincerely,

C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger
    Member of Congress" ...end quote

Well, he certainly seems to misunderstand, calling a Constitutional Right a "hobby you are entitled to", and going on to say that he supports a ban on semiautomatic firearms, but not "ordinary" ones, when we all know semiautos are pretty ordinary. He also chose to use the word "seizure" in his reply as well... It bothered me.

My stomach is in knots and I wonder if this sense of tension is something akin to what it must have felt like in early April 1775... God help us.

Michael S

Nov 6, 2012
    Towson
    Unbelievable, have never thought much of him over the years but that turned my stomach as well. I bet that is how most of them feel and am starting to believe we are all screwed. I talked to him a while back on the red flag law, At least I got to tell him face to face he would never get my vote.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Dumb Poopenberger is an entitled POS who has been in his position for entirely too long.

He does not give 2 shits about your rights.

He is also a reason for term limits.

Remember this at voting time. VOTE THEM OUT!

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    First post... had to share this.

I said,
    "As your constituent, I cannot understand how you could think a YEA vote on HR8 is appropriate. It seems too many folks are not "voting their conscience" anymore, and are falling victim to manipulation along party lines.

I am disappointed and will be sure to spread the word that you do not seem to understand or wish to protect our Constitutional Right to keep and bear arms. The Second Amendment is not a second-class right. Please stop treating it as such.

I will be praying for you."

He replied,
    "Dear Xxxxx Xxxxx:

One of the best parts of my job is hearing from constituents. I appreciate that you have taken the time to contact me, and I welcome this opportunity to respond directly to your concerns.

Like you, I believe that most gun owners are responsible and wish to do no harm to others. And I understand how, in the wake of instances of extreme gun violence, you feel your right to practice the hobbies you are entitled to under our Second Amendment have come under threat.

Further, I agree with many Americans that, to a certain extent, it’s the shooter, not the gun. Mental health is a big part of the problem and must be addressed. But we can also reduce the carnage with common-sense measures. That is why I support a ban on the importation, sale, manufacture, transfer or possession of a semiautomatic assault weapon. To be clear, this is not a ban on all guns, but a ban on the ones that cause the most harm.

What I do not support is the seizure of ordinary firearms capable of protecting your family or commonly used by sportsmen. Good public policy is based on balance, and I truly believe we can achieve a balance between upholding the Second Amendment and ensuring public safety with common-sense measures that are already supported by most Americans.

To stay current on issues that are facing Congress and your community, please sign up for my e-Newsletter at www.dutch.house.gov and follow me on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

Sincerely,

C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger
    Member of Congress" ...end quote

Well, he certainly seems to misunderstand, calling a Constitutional Right a "hobby you are entitled to", and going on to say that he supports a ban on semiautomatic firearms, but not "ordinary" ones, when we all know semiautos are pretty ordinary. He also chose to use the word "seizure" in his reply as well... It bothered me.

My stomach is in knots and I wonder if this sense of tension is something akin to what it must have felt like in early April 1775... God help us.

I am sure that is not a tailored email and possibly not even his words. I don't know him or his view but what I can say is that when I do volunteer up there, I usually get email duty.

During email duty I had a set of canned responses depending on the email subject and tone. There was so much email traffic that I almost never stayed from the canned response.

Not trying to say Dutch is the good, bad or evil, only that we know the climate here and is probably something that should not upset supper

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Representatives are known to be content ignorant regarding many bills they sponsor and/or vote for. They're also known to play fast and loose when it comes to interpreting the Constitution. Constituent concerns should not be answered by a "one size fits all" response. That will indeed upset one's supper.

Sirex