Do I have to have suppressor paperwork in my possession when I use it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • solarpower44

Feb 2, 2016
    Glenelg MD
    That is correct. The language of the actual statute says that you must retain proof of registration (i.e. a Form 1 or Form 4) and provide that proof to "the secretary" (at the time, the Secretary of the Treasury, now the Secretary of HS) upon request. It does NOT specify a time frame within which you have to provide that proof. Some other states have laws stating that you have to have that proof with you all the time, but Maryland does not.

Yes actually, I do. I don't want to normalize or contribute to the idea that NFA items are somehow so special or so dangerous or so quasi-illegal that we have to carry special papers around with them all the time. If someone on staff at a given range wants to question me on my NFA stuff, I'll have a polite conversation with them and explain that while they are legally owned, I don't carry the paperwork with me because I am not required to do so. After that, if they want me to leave, I will leave. I've never been questioned by anyone, though.

I'm quite willing to have that conversation (it need not be an argument) in order to help other people understand that there's nothing special or extra dangerous about NFA stuff, and that we are NOT required to carry paperwork. There's enough FUD surrounding the NFA as it is, and I don't want to contribute to it.

Is this also true for MG?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    on a related note, any issues with taking your can to another state? i'm told there are no forms, notices or permissions needed, is that right?

Keep in mind it must be legal in that state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I have them in my phone, but I also carry a ring binder in my range bag with copies in it. Not a big deal. It also holds my range notes.

I keep all 50+ of my stamps in my range bag. I laminate them so they will last and not get damaged. It's much easier to just have them if needed or if ever questioned.

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    Machinegun nest in Frederick has a habit of asking for NFA paperwork. One new clerk asked me and was corrected by a manager, then in my next trip there, some older guy who claimed to be a retired cop said I had to show him my papers. I told him well I’m an actual cop and I can’t ask for people’s NFA paperwork, so I’m not sure what authority you think you have. He changes his mind and says it’s range policy, so I turned around and left and have never been back.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Machinegun nest in Frederick has a habit of asking for NFA paperwork. One new clerk asked me and was corrected by a manager, then in my next trip there, some older guy who claimed to be a retired cop said I had to show him my papers. I told him well I’m an actual cop and I can’t ask for people’s NFA paperwork, so I’m not sure what authority you think you have. He changes his mind and says it’s range policy, so I turned around and left and have never been back.

Good on you. :thumbsup:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    NFA paperwork is more of a tax document than a firearm registration. It means you paid the tax and received the stamp and are entitled to legal possession.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    So, you carry over $10K worth of stamps with you whenever you go shooting?
    Are they insured?

Those stamps may have cost me that much, but they have no value to anyone else. They just show that I paid the $200 tax for each item. And I keep color 2 sided PDF copies in my range bag. The original paperwork with applied stamp is in the safe.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Those stamps may have cost me that much, but they have no value to anyone else. They just show that I paid the $200 tax for each item. And I keep color 2 sided PDF copies in my range bag. The original paperwork with applied stamp is in the safe.

Ok. that makes more sense. so it's just a fancy receipt. I guess it's not something an actual stamp collector would want to add to their collection??? You have to keep it as long as you own the NFA item right? So you couldn't even sell it to a stamp collector unless you got rid of the NFA item?

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Ok. that makes more sense. so it's just a fancy receipt. I guess it's not something an actual stamp collector would want to add to their collection??? You have to keep it as long as you own the NFA item right? So you couldn't even sell it to a stamp collector unless you got rid of the NFA item?

Some people do sell the stamps after they sell and transfer the NFA item. There are a bunch for sale on Ebay right now. They range from $40 - $75 for a single stamp. And one guy has 34 of them for sale for $900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom