• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Zoostation, I found a photo of you online...

Attachments

• 148619QvXU_w.jpg
      148619QvXU_w.jpg
      20.5 KB · Views: 143

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I received the wood handguards from centerfire today. The wood is actually in very good condition other than some discoloration. Now I have to figure out how to remove the cosmoline, because they slathered it on extra thick. That stuff is nasty.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Well, that seems to have worked. I set my oven to its lowest setting (170°), removed and wiped the components every 10 minutes so the wood wouldn't cook, and now they feel like bare wood and don't sweat cosmo anymore. It took about 1.5 hours.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Well, that seems to have worked. I set my oven to its lowest setting (170°), removed and wiped the components every 10 minutes so the wood wouldn't cook, and now they feel like bare wood and don't sweat cosmo anymore. It took about 1.5 hours.

My wife would castrate me if she caught me doin that in her oven.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    My wife would castrate me if she caught me doin that in her oven.

My wife was already in bed when I did this, and she isn't very pleased this morning. The whole house reeks of cosmo. In the end, the only thing that matters is that my handguards are now cosmo free. It is easier to ask for forgiveness than get permission. :o

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I'm finally done refinishing those jacked up Yugo hanguards I got from Centerfire. It was my first attempt at wood refinishing, and they aren't perfect, but I'm happy with the look. Definitely better than when I received them.

Before and after:

Attachments

• yugo_hg.jpg
      yugo_hg.jpg
      130.6 KB · Views: 93

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Nice job! I am doing an SKS stock with Minwax Polyshades in cherry gloss and it looks almost identical to what you've achieved there.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    This guy also makes them, but he aint cheap.

http://gripsnstocks.com/index.html

Old thread and off topic, but wow, it looks like this guy has lost it. I checked his website and he said that the site will go down after he sells his rifles, and then I read some of his posts on the AK Files. He is selling off his entire collection of firearms, getting out of the business, and collecting lawn tractors instead. Then he plans to lay low and wait for the inevitable armed revolution in the next few months. Then again, maybe his isn't as crazy as I first thought...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom