What Happened To Golf Ball Launchers For The SKS Rifles ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    What's the deal ?
    Was looking around for something different and thought a golf ball launcher would fit the bill, but after extensive searching I couldn't even find a discussion about them after about 2009. Before that, the Bloom Automatic one was talked about all over the chat boards. It seemed strange to not even be able to find a discussion about them since launchers for AR's and AK's are still readily available.

I have no interest in screwing/unscrewing the attachment and loved the Bloom design since it didn't require the grenade launcher to be removed and was pleasantly surprised to find this one http://www.spitfireball.com/about (can be found on ebay for +/- $65) for the AR and picked up blanks here http://www.atlanticwallblanks.com/556MM-GOLF-BALL-LAUNCHING-BLANK-POWER-LEVEL-2_p_300.html

Would still like to get one for the sks but can't even find a trail to sniff. :(

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I have the Bloom Automatic launcher. I think the cheaper NC Star version might have put them under. It's not like they had patent protection for what is essentially a large flash can.

Thanks for the link to the blanks. I've been looking for a source.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I have the Bloom Automatic launcher. I think the cheaper NC Star version might have put them under. It's not like they had patent protection for what is essentially a large flash can.

Thanks for the link to the blanks. I've been looking for a source.

You found one for the sks ?

Any interest in selling your Bloom ? Or loan it to me so I could copy it ? Looked like a pretty simple design.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The Bloom design is a slip fit over the flash hider and uses set screws to snug into the groove. So that's pretty simple. It'd be easy to make if you had use of a lathe and drill press for an afternoon. The Spifireball seems to do the same except with a quick-release. (Not sure how quick that really is if you have to snug thumbscrews too.)

I haven't tried mine on an SKS but if the grenade launcher attachment is the same size as an A2 flash hider then it ought to work.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    The Bloom design is a slip fit over the flash hider and uses set screws to snug into the groove. So that's pretty simple. It'd be easy to make if you had use of a lathe and drill press for an afternoon. The Spifireball seems to do the same except with a quick-release. (Not sure how quick that really is if you have to snug thumbscrews too.)

I haven't tried mine on an SKS but if the grenade launcher attachment is the same size as an A2 flash hider then it ought to work.

Yeah, not really "quick" release. I put the spitfire on today and just finger tight it was a little loosey goosey so I snugged both screws with a pair of pliers. Because of the way the quick release/slide works and the bottom screw goes into the groove on the flash hider it probably would have been okay but, call me crazy, I don't like things wiggling around when I'm shooting.

Unfortunately grenade launcher and flash hider are two different animals. Probably gonna forget about making one for the sks. The spitfire works great, the blanks are readily available, and the golf ball just kept going and going and going and going......... GONE

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The grenade launcher for the SKS is just a weird sort of long flash can. I don't have one handy so I can't say if it's the same diameter as an A2 flash hider or not. For eyeball they look sort of the same. If the outside diameter is the same as an A2, the golfball launcher would fit just fine.

If you really want the Bloom Auto launcher, drop me a line. I have air cannons for stupid stuff.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    The grenade launcher for the SKS is just a weird sort of long flash can. I don't have one handy so I can't say if it's the same diameter as an A2 flash hider or not. For eyeball they look sort of the same. If the outside diameter is the same as an A2, the golfball launcher would fit just fine.

If you really want the Bloom Auto launcher, drop me a line. I have air cannons for stupid stuff.

PM sent

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom