• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I'd go for one condition dependent; seems like that's the general consensus here

No doubt the price will be condition and increasing scarcity dependent also. The time to buy a CMP Garand is always yesterday because tomorrow you'll be sorry you didn't.

Every time you see a Garand for sale look at the condition and price then compare it to what people get from the CMP.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    If prices and condition are right, I'll certainly grab one. So far I haven't seen a garand that has spoken to me (I want a good shooter, less concerned about rarity. Interesting story is always a plus, though) for a price I can pay, but it's only a matter of time . . .

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    I don't hold much hope for the condition. Wouldn't b surprise if lots are stripped for parts. I could go for a bare reciever or two though.

At that AMC in Feb. 2016 Mark Johnson did say he hadn't seen the Filipino M1s in person, but that he had seen a lot of pictures of the storage facility and that the conditions were excellent.

If I'm looking at the MAP list correctly, the Philippines only got 11594 M1s (and 3 M1Cs) in 1963, so hopefully all the rest of those 86k rifles are WWII era.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    At that AMC in Feb. 2016 Mark Johnson did say he hadn't seen the Filipino M1s in person, but that he had seen a lot of pictures of the storage facility and that the conditions were excellent.

If I'm looking at the MAP list correctly, the Philippines only got 11594 M1s (and 3 M1Cs) in 1963, so hopefully all the rest of those 86k rifles are WWII era.

Hopefully that's the case but from other pics I've seen and some of the stories Filipino friends have role me I'm not optimistic. The climate is not forgiving.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The grammar police would like to remind everyone that it is spelled Filipino. Philippines refers to the country, Filipino refers to being of the country.

church-lady.png

And yes, I am getting one too. :) TIA.

It's about time those people decide if they want a "Ph" or an "F". You can't have both.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Make sure your Garand club membership is up-to-date before you need to make a firearm or ammo purchase with CMP. If not, your purchase is likely to be delayed until the club can process your membership renewal, which can be problematic for purchases that involve limited or time-sensitive items (e.g., ammo specials, limited Garand shipments, etc.).

Also, those of you who're active members of LE organizations (LEAA, FOP, CSPOA, etc.) may be able to use that in lieu of the club membership requirement. Just make sure your LE organization membership is current; or, if you're a life member, send CMP documentation to verify your life membership and they'll update your CMP account so you're good-to-go to make future CMP purchases.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Won't it take a year or more for CMP to get these ready for resale?

It may take them a year to physically get them here, they won't be sending them next day air. But once they are here it won't take long to prep them depending on condition. They are prepping rifles continuously they try to keep the production flowing but you never know what batch they will decide to work on next. They have said they have pallet loads of rifles but they never know what condition they are until they open the box.

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    Gives a reason to finish up my HQL, I just hate giving MD dictators any more money as they infringe my rights.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Won't it take a year or more for CMP to get these ready for resale?

Once they actually make it to the port they need to clear local customs and be prepped for shipping, so I would add at least three months for that if things are quiet. If there's a Moro/ISIS insurgency or similar acting up in the area they probably won't even want them shipping overland to a port until it settles down so that can slow things down too. Then add a month on the water. Then add another two months for them to clear US Customs in LA or Portland or wherever they put in. Then shipping out to CMP and logging in and prepping to sell. Yes, I would guess around a year.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    No doubt the price will be condition and increasing scarcity dependent also. The time to buy a CMP Garand is always yesterday because tomorrow you'll be sorry you didn't.

Every time you see a Garand for sale look at the condition and price then compare it to what people get from the CMP.

Not meant as a knock on the CMP but you have to remember most rifles that are posted that people receive from the CMP are the best ones, most do not post the rough ones and there are plenty. I personally stopped ordering mail order sight unseen after my last 2 Service Grades did not meet my expectations, not even close to what I had previously received. I could buy better ones for slightly more than the CMP charges, especially now that their prices have gotten up there.
    Here is a link to a thread on the CMP Forum where the OP received a 1200.00 6 Mil that is heavily pitted and then received a replacement that was the same, apparently all the remaining 6 mils are heavily pitted, certainly not worth 1200.00 bucks, at least to me.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=207384

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Not meant as a knock on the CMP but you have to remember most rifles that are posted that people receive from the CMP are the best ones, most do not post the rough ones and there are plenty. I personally stopped ordering mail order sight unseen after my last 2 Service Grades did not meet my expectations, not even close to what I had previously received. I could buy better ones for slightly more than the CMP charges, especially now that their prices have gotten up there.
    Here is a link to a thread on the CMP Forum where the OP received a 1200.00 6 Mil that is heavily pitted and then received a replacement that was the same, apparently all the remaining 6 mils are heavily pitted, certainly not worth 1200.00 bucks, at least to me.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=207384

In my experience they have all been better than the published grade description. To that end the first thing the OP says in your link is:
    Honestly it meets the description,.....

And your comment ".... certainly not worth 1200.00 bucks, at least to me." perfectly illustrates my point above because of the price hike. The prices are going up and the condition is going down because the bottom of the barrel is visible.

Down the road people will be remembering when you could buy Garands from the CMP sent directly to your home and the prices were really good. Just like they talk about the '03's, target .22's and once in a lifetime Garands.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Once they actually make it to the port they need to clear local customs and be prepped for shipping, so I would add at least three months for that if things are quiet. If there's a Moro/ISIS insurgency or similar acting up in the area they probably won't even want them shipping overland to a port until it settles down so that can slow things down too. Then add a month on the water. Then add another two months for them to clear US Customs in LA or Portland or wherever they put in. Then shipping out to CMP and logging in and prepping to sell. Yes, I would guess around a year.

The rifles will be shipped by the USArmy to the USArmy then turned over to CMP. I don't think customs is in the picture for this.

All costs to the USArmy will be remibursed by CMP

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    The rifles will be shipped by the USArmy to the USArmy then turned over to CMP. I don't think customs is in the picture for this.

All costs to the USArmy will be remibursed by CMP

Ahh good info I did not know this. Most all of my experience in this area has been dealing with the joys of commercial container shipping.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge

I'm so glad I got a Garand from the CMP more than several years ago. Prices were on the rise back then and if I had waited, I never would pay for one now, with the prices where they are today.

I got my grandfather one for Christmas a few years ago and I wish I could have gone and hand picked it like I did with mine.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    This is why I've been steadily buying a Garand every year for a while. Didn't this year, but might next year. That Correct Grade I'm sitting on should appreciate nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom