• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firedog1979

Be part of the solution!
    Mar 19, 2017
    Maryland
    Has anyone used the fully polymer coated 9mm rounds before? I caught a sale of 200 rounds for 19.99 a couple days ago and ordered them but looking at them I'm wondering what they are going to do to my barrels? Or is it actually better for the barrel? I just don't want to foul any barrels out with the polymer when it heats? Thanks!

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I'm not aware of any fouling issues with them. It is good thing to watch for though. Especially as Glocks as are in your pic are from my experience one of the more intolerant designs when it comes to fouling. The main question in my mind with those is if anyone has studied the potential health issues for people breathing the burnt product. I don't know about that product but generally speaking inhaling burning plastic isn't real good for you.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The whole point to PC bullets is to cut down on fouling and leading. I believe it started in Germany. That's just about all I shoot. I also think I read somewhere that they shoot a little slower than lead bullets, but I haven't gotten as far as graphing them yet.

Like anything else you shoot, do it in a well ventilated area if breathing the stuff worries you.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I shoot polymer coated bullets (bayou bullets and blue bullets) pretty much exclusively in competition out of a stock Glock barrel. Many thousands of rounds. In my experience they actually leave less in the barrel than plated or even fmj.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    wrong response for this forum.... sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Has anyone used the fully polymer coated 9mm rounds before? I caught a sale of 200 rounds for 19.99 a couple days ago and ordered them but looking at them I'm wondering what they are going to do to my barrels? Or is it actually better for the barrel? I just don't want to foul any barrels out with the polymer when it heats? Thanks!

Link?

ap1

Sep 6, 2014
    TOMKAT AMMO IN GAITHERSBURG MAKES THEM!

PLEASE, CHECK OUT OUR INDUSTRY PARTNERS PAGE AND OR FEEL FREE TO CALL ME, I CAN TELL/ SHOW YOU EVERYTHING ABOUT THEM...

We will be at the Timonium gun show 4/7-
    I will have loaded ammo using these bullets for sale and one of my
    distributors, (who I don't compete with) * J-E Reloading
    supply will have a good selection of the bullet heads that I make.

Yes, the process started with a guy in Germany who didn't take a patent .... It works! Even Federal and American Eagle have started doing it..

Botoom line- Mine are the best!

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    PLEASE, CHECK OUT OUR INDUSTRY PARTNERS PAGE AND OR FEEL FREE TO CALL ME, I CAN TELL/ SHOW YOU EVERYTHING ABOUT THEM...

Yes, the process started with a guy in Germany who didn't take a patent .... It works! Even Federal and American Eagle have started doing it..

Prices?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

These guys know their chit when it comes to PC bullets(as well as other ammo). :thumbsup:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I also think I read somewhere that they shoot a little slower than lead bullets, but I haven't gotten as far as graphing them yet.

They're actually faster than plain lead and jacketed bullets. I made 130 Power Factor with 147gr coated bullets with 3.2gr of Titegroup. I need 3.4-3.5gr of Titegroup to get the same PF with lead.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    They're actually faster than plain lead and jacketed bullets. I made 130 Power Factor with 147gr coated bullets with 3.2gr of Titegroup. I need 3.4-3.5gr of Titegroup to get the same PF with lead.

Good to know. I couldn't remember if it was that or the other way around. :o

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Once upon a time (mid to late 90's IIRC) the anti-gun lobby got all hysterical about Poly coated bullets, labeling them "Cop Killer" bullets... Jeez, where have we heard that before..:confused:

Like most of their anti-gun hysteria it turned out to be pure BS, but not before they pulled out all the stops in an attempt to get them banned.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I'm not aware of any fouling issues with them. It is good thing to watch for though. Especially as Glocks as are in your pic are from my experience one of the more intolerant designs when it comes to fouling. The main question in my mind with those is if anyone has studied the potential health issues for people breathing the burnt product. I don't know about that product but generally speaking inhaling burning plastic isn't real good for you.
    Inhaling lead or gun powder is still a lot worse than polymer.

Firedog1979

Be part of the solution!
    Mar 19, 2017
    Maryland
    Thanks Zoostation, I have seen a lot of studies done on the frangible rounds used by the Gv't for shoot houses and such and issues with lead dust, however I have never seen anything on the coating. Like I said I picked up a couple hundred on a deal online and when I got them was suprised to see how maleable the coating was and instantly worried about how it would affect the handguns. Thanks again. Im hoping someone here will have used some of these rounds before...

Firedog1979

Be part of the solution!
    Mar 19, 2017
    Maryland
    huh, how did they affect your barrels? It seems like they would gunk thinks up. Thats interesting that theyre faster...trajectories still similar?

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks Zoostation, I have seen a lot of studies done on the frangible rounds used by the Gv't for shoot houses and such and issues with lead dust, however I have never seen anything on the coating. Like I said I picked up a couple hundred on a deal online and when I got them was suprised to see how maleable the coating was and instantly worried about how it would affect the handguns. Thanks again. Im hoping someone here will have used some of these rounds before...

What brand did you buy exactly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom