• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    I have a line on a few of these for under 100 bucks. They all have blemishes but will fire. Not being a C&R guy should I pick one up?

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Spanish mauser, to use as truck gun sure. Zero collector value as is and not worth to restore. I'd pass unless you are sitting on a case of 7mm to shoot with it.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I have a nicer one that was an old import. The action is nice and smooth and recoil isn't bad in 7x57. Fairly accurate with PPU ammo, too. I'd snap one up for $100. I saw them at the Oaks show but couldn't convince myself to take another project, but the price was right.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    At a show is a gamble. Sarco had a bunch in .308 for $170~ a few years back.
    If going to WV make sure it goes through an FFL. If they have matching numbers and are decent mechanically I'd buy one off you preesuming you can make it to the Frederick show.

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    At a show is a gamble. Sarco had a bunch in .308 for $170~ a few years back.
    If going to WV make sure it goes through an FFL. If they have matching numbers and are decent mechanically I'd buy one off you preesuming you can make it to the Frederick show.

My instructor for a course I am taking let me know about them. I will PM you the link.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    JG has them right now in 7x57 for $169 or so. You see the 7.62x51/.308 conversions show up too, but they've bumped up to $200+ recently.

I've got one of the 7.62 conversions and it's a fine rifle. Not a tack driver, but a good serviceable rifle that would do the job for hunting if need be.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    170 plus shipping for a gun that could have a sewer pipe for a bore, possible missing front and rear sight parts, and a cracked stock as well?

No thanks.

Spend another 90 and buy a Yugo M48 in 8mm Mauser. And you'll have damn near new rifle.

This will eliminate headspace concerns as well.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes.

If the sporterization is servicable would be a good truck / carry through woods w/o worry about scratches gun.

I like 7x57 . As mentioned regarding youth guns, SAAMI level hunting loads are outstanding combination of effectiveness and modest recoil.

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    I sent the link for it to MOPAR. I am not getting the warm and fuzzy I wanted to get from this so I think I will look hands on at some shows before I jump into something like this.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    They should sell these "Gunsmith Specials" for $69.00 each.

Then someone would have a decent Mauser receiver as a building block for a custom rifle.

You made the right choice to look elsewhere, OP.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

Then someone would have a decent Mauser receiver as a building block for a custom rifle.

Given the quick price-hike post-SAMCO fire-sale, I bet they'll get what they're asking. Shoot, classic was selling the .308 conversions for near $250 last I checked. They were half that two years ago.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Two fiddy is a fair price if it's complete rifle. In totally serviceable condition.

With complete sights. A solid stock. And bore listed in better than "Good" condition.

Watching that guy operate that bolt was enough to make a C&R gun guy cringe.

Sticky bolt/brass syndrome is something you'd expect from a cobbled together 91/30 action. Not a Mauser action.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri

You made the right choice to look elsewhere, OP.

I agree. 150 is way too much for something that might have a "ringed bore, broken stock, rust, broken firing pin or extractor" per the description.

150 is what the serviceable ones should cost. Even 180 is too steep for these IMO, considering you may get one as bad as the one I got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom