• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Yea... there was discussion at meetings about the increase in membership. I've not personally found it to be a problem. Maybe I am lucky in the times I pick to go to the range. I will bet you right now it is relatively empty - I think is some who might be there are out hunting instead - I have been. ;-

I haven't been to BRGC since April last year, due to water damage to my house that required extensive repairs and renovations (7 solid months of nothing but working to make my house livable again ate up all my free time), but I've never really had a problem with it being too crowded, other than on the days when there was an event of some kind.

Used to be we would go there on a Friday after work and pretty much have the place to ourselves, or there might be one or two other people there.

That might have changed though, since I've not been there in some time.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Just wanted to make MDS forum members aware that there's a "Guntry Club" fixing to start up in Beltsville by the end of the year...

http://www.shootingsportsretailer.com/2015/01/16/maryland-set-to-open-guntry-club-this-year/

I'll keep everyone posted as I learn more...

Based on the experience with the Machine Gun Nest, this is harder than it seems (permits, etc.). I would be surprised if this was really open in 2015.

This is an excellent location though.

One hopes this prods OnTarget to up their game. It's convenient, but no rifles. I personally like Freestate, but its kinda of a trek. I am not a fan of the freezing cold at AGC either.

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    Based on the experience with the Machine Gun Nest, this is harder than it seems (permits, etc.). I would be surprised if this was really open in 2015.

One hopes this prods OnTarget to up their game. It's convenient, but no rifles. I personally like Freestate, but its kinda of a trek. I am not a fan of the freezing cold at AGC either.

Which makes me wonder if this is still on schedule for opening this month.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=161207&highlight=heritage

Last edited:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

If they are just starting to raise money for it now, (I just got the email last week) there is NO chance it will be done this year. If I could bet on it in Vegas, I would......and I would win. No construction project of that size would ever be completed in a year. Let's see....PG County permitting office, County Council, Zoning, moronic citizens who claim there will be shootings every other day because of this range, etc. That is a ton of sh*t to wade through.
    If someone gave them 8 million dollars tomorrow, I'd be surprised if it was done before mid 2016.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I think about the only thing that may provide this place with their target clientèle is the completion of the ICC exit there.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I think about the only thing that may provide this place with their target clientèle is the completion of the ICC exit there.
    You are probably right. I live near Beltsville in Laurel. I love the ICC. The ICC is like the autobahn. No traffic. ;) Of course I travel it from the less desirable area toward the rich folks in Mo Co. instead of the other way around.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The location is right up the street from where the guy broke in to rob the car repair shop and was met by the armed shop owner. The owner, Peanut, popped the guy. My employer is farther down the street. I've been watching that location for years wondering what they were doing with that slow clearing of the lot. Now I know.

I'd say this location has a potential trifecta of clientele - well off urbanites from inside the city, well off suburbanites from the other end of the ICC ... and as a diversion from studying at College Park. $2,500 a year would probably sell out pretty easily; I wonder how much higher they could go?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My friend owns a company that was going to invest but they couldn't, however he is helping them with their start up. He seems to think it will happen. Here's to me hoping to get a sweet retirement job :thumbsup:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'd be curious to know what their revenue and profit projections are, but I'm sure that's proprietary. Just having trouble imagining how they're going to give a decent return on $8m given the costs to run the range. Maybe LE and .mil training contracts are much more lucrative than I'm giving them credit for?

If they're like SEG and do cheap ($25) transfers and discounted training with membership, I'd probably swap over to them immediately. The north of DC suburbs area is in desperate need of a high-end indoor range.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'd be curious to know what their revenue and profit projections are, but I'm sure that's proprietary. Just having trouble imagining how they're going to give a decent return on $8m given the costs to run the range. Maybe LE and .mil training contracts are much more lucrative than I'm giving them credit for?

If they're like SEG and do cheap ($25) transfers and discounted training with membership, I'd probably swap over to them immediately. The north of DC suburbs area is in desperate need of a high-end indoor range.

The maryland/Va area is lacking for private venues for special shooting opportunities that many federal LE agencies can use. Federal ranges and locales do not allow much, if any "shooting while moving" type training. Cheltenham primarily only allows static type shooting/training.

Many police dept. ranges are not available for use/rent by FED agencies and the amount of shooters from each FED LE office that need to be cycled through with range days is impaired by the police agency's own range use for training.
    Also, when it comes to firing ranges, many dept's just don't "play well with others". You just don't call a police dept. up and say "we would like to use your range, bro."

I know for my agency, having a venue that allows us to just use their venue how we want, with our own instructors would reign supreme. As it would with others.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    In that case, yeah, I can see it. I suppose I was assuming that there were private facilities already catering to that kind of thing. If there are no indoor dynamic ranges or shoothouses in this region besides SEG, geez, I can see that being some huge money pretty fast. (Now you've got me excited, Blaster229. Stop that!)

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    If they do it well, this range can ease a lot of pressures on local PD's too. When I was at Berwyn Rod & Gun club a few years ago, our leadership set up an arrangement with Bowie PD to do training and qualification days every month. Up until then, they'd been having to schedule time down at Quantico, quite a hike from Bowie.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If they do it well, this range can ease a lot of pressures on local PD's too. When I was at Berwyn Rod & Gun club a few years ago, our leadership set up an arrangement with Bowie PD to do training and qualification days every month. Up until then, they'd been having to schedule time down at Quantico, quite a hike from Bowie.
    They could have easily gone to ft. Meade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom