• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    So i've seen at least 2 threads on this, but saw different answers, so i'm hoping a couple years has gotten some clarification on this....

I want to build an sbr in md. If it is greater than 29", does it have to be hbar or can it be any barrel profile?

thanks

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Why would you need to have it >29" and not have an HBAR? Both rules pertain to rifles. Where is the MSP advisory on this? Seems to me if its rifle for one assault rifle test (OAL >29") other tests related to assault rifles also apply.

HBAR in any case only applies to 223/556 caliber on an AR15 pattern lower. 9mm, 300 blackout, or 7.62x___, definitely no hbar.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MSP has decided that only the copycat provision applies to SBR's. Another reason is you only fill out a 77r when you buy a lower as an 'O'. You don't fill out another when you assemble an SBR after that. When I did my Form 4 for an SBR, I did not fill out a 77r. I did have to get my Form 4 MSP LE sign off on the SBR. The only thing BATFE cared about was the OAL, not the barrel profile. With no 77r, MSP was not involved.

The copycat provision does not mention barrel profile, only OAL and list of features.

I'm recalling this from memory a few years back when I got my SBR. I used asn Engage lower and a DD MK 18 upper. It was not an HBAR.

But I could be mistaken but I did not fill out a 77 other than for the lower which I did purchase pre 10-1-13 but the SBR was assembled post 10-1-13

I have attached the advisory here.

Attachments

• 3-26-14 LD-FRS-14-002 - Short Barreled Shotguns and Short Barreled Rifles.pdf
      61 KB · Views: 240

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    MSP has decided that only the copycat provision applies to SBR's. Another reason is you only fill out a 77r when you buy a lower as an 'O'. You don't fill out another when you assemble an SBR after that. When I did my Form 4 for an SBR, I did not fill out a 77r. I did have to get my Form 4 MSP LE sign off on the SBR. The only thing BATFE cared about was the OAL, not the barrel profile. With no 77r, MSP was not involved.

The copycat provision does not mention barrel profile, only OAL and list of features.

I'm recalling this from memory a few years back when I got my SBR. I used asn Engage lower and a DD MK 18 upper. It was not an HBAR.

But I could be mistaken but I did not fill out a 77 other than for the lower which I did purchase pre 10-1-13 but the SBR was assembled post 10-1-13

I have attached the advisory here.

There I go trying to use logic again. Carry on.

The bottom line though is if the BATFE does not care you shouldn't either. They know the kaw in some cases better than the MDSP. They do care about OAL.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There I go trying to use logic again. Carry on.

The bottom line though is if the BATFE does not care you shouldn't either. They know the kaw in some cases better than the MDSP. They do care about OAL.

BATFE cares because MSP told them to care.

For a period of time, you could do a <29" SBR, then MSP changed their minds.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    BATFE cares because MSP told them to care.

For a period of time, you could do a <29" SBR, then MSP changed their minds.
    It always makes me nervous when the MSP pulls those stunts. Like... they could make criminals out of huge numbers of gun owners retroactively by just changing their interpretations of the law. Could you imagine the chaos if they decided to apply the named list against SBRs, for example?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Now BATFE won't even approve a 5320.20 to transport <29" SBR into MD even if you legally possessed it before 10-1-13.

That’s crazy! You are allowed to bring other banned guns (M1A, AR) into the State for competition as long as you take it home, or did they change that too?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    But they don’t require Federal approval first. More proof BATFE does what MSP tells them to.

MDS member Rouchna (lives in Loudon Co.) tried to get a 5320.20 for a pre 10-1-13 SBR approved and BATFE refused saying it was <29” even after the MD statute saying a properly registered SBR was legal in MD was provided in writing. His SBR was approved before 10-1-13 and BATFE still refused to approve it because it was <29”.

What a crock!

Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    the transporting issue is ********, but not what I'm trying to get answered

Bottom line: Making a form 1 sbr in the state of maryland, as long as I am >29", do I have to have a heavy barrel? yes or no?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    the transporting issue is ********, but not what I'm trying to get answered

Bottom line: Making a form 1 sbr in the state of maryland, as long as I am >29", do I have to have a heavy barrel? yes or no?

No, you don't.

And since no one has answered your other question, the feature test goes like this:

If it is a centerfire, semi-automatic rifle which is capable of accepting detachable magazines, it may have no more than one of:
    1. A Grenade Launcher (an actual launcher, not the lug)
    2. A Flash Hider (which is any device that serves to lessen muzzle flash or direct it away from the shooter's plane of vision, if it was intended to do that or not).
    3. A Folding (not collapsible) stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom