• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    With the caveat that you cannot remove the brace and replace with a stock after traveling to that different state. Returning to to an SBR without having filed a 5320.20 would be illegal

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Had to re-read post #20 a cpl times .

The hypothetical person could remove the brace out of state anywhere . At that point it would still be a pistol, just one without a brace . What they couldn't do is replace the brace with a stock .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Had to re-read post #20 a cpl times .

The hypothetical person could remove the brace out of state anywhere . At that point it would still be a pistol, just one without a brace . What they couldn't do is replace the brace with a stock .

No. What he's saying is the OP, before going out of state, can convert his SBR back to a pistol so as not to need worry about a 5320.20.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Has it been established that it is okay to convert an SBR back to a pistol? I thought there was controversy regarding that in the past. Not being argumentative, just thought it was on the murky side of things. Maybe my memory is failing me here.

I am building a pistol brace lower similarly to my SBR lower to plop my short uppers onto at some point in case I need to travel and don't have time to fill out the paperwork. But before I do that, I need to find an AFG or other pistol legal VFG substitute that I like better than my current VFG setup (I run a suppressor on my 10.5" and like having a short VFG in case the rail gets too hot to touch near the gas block). Who knows when that will happen. Incidentally I am not suggesting anyone do what I am doing. I just don't understand the legality of Pistol/SBR convertibility and find it a convenient excuse to build out another lower as a pistol. Grown up Legos are fun.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Cool, thanks. I understand the pistol > rifle > pistol = okay thing. I just didn't know if anything changed when you want to do pistol > register to "make" it an SBR (which was what I understood as the controversy) > pistol. I know you can do SBR > Non SBR rifle configuration with no NFA travel issues > SBR too. It may not be necessary for BATFE to chime in on that and/or I may have just missed the section of the policy that covers that. Again not trying to muddy the waters for the OP, just trying to educate myself.

From one perspective it makes things less confusing for me if I mentally replace AR15 pistol with a Glock 17. If one were to SBR that and then return it to it's original configuration, that would be a pistol.

Again, thank you for posting that.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Cool, thanks. I understand the pistol > rifle > pistol = okay thing. I just didn't know if anything changed when you want to do pistol > register to "make" it an SBR (which was what I understood as the controversy) > pistol. I know you can do SBR > Non SBR rifle configuration with no NFA travel issues > SBR too. It may not be necessary for BATFE to chime in on that and/or I may have just missed the section of the policy that covers that. Again not trying to muddy the waters for the OP, just trying to educate myself.

From one perspective it makes things less confusing for me if I mentally replace AR15 pistol with a Glock 17. If one were to SBR that and then return it to it's original configuration, that would be a pistol.

Again, thank you for posting that.

Basically, an SBR is an SBR until it isn't.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Or the other way to say it, an SBR is only an SBR when it meets all the standards of an SBR.

Have an SBR AR, fit a 16" barrel upper, it is not an SBR.

Fit a pistol brace or pistol buffer tube, it is not an SBR.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    And if it's converted from SBR to non SBR within the state it was registered in, and than transported to a state where it is legal (in the non SBR format that it's now in)...you're OK. But it needs to stay that way until it comes back to the state where it's OK to be an SBR.

Clear as mud right?

Basically, make it a pistol first if you want to have some flexibility and be able to have some fun before you get the stamp. Down side is it'll cost a few hundred more on the front end due to buying a brace (most of which you could recoup after it becomes an SBR by selling the brace if you wanted to). I'm guessing if you're dropping the cash to get the stamp...cash isn't really a problem for you.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    And if it's converted from SBR to non SBR within the state it was registered in, and than transported to a state where it is legal (in the non SBR format that it's now in)...you're OK. But it needs to stay that way until it comes back to the state where it's OK to be an SBR.

Clear as mud right?

Basically, make it a pistol first if you want to have some flexibility and be able to have some fun before you get the stamp. Down side is it'll cost a few hundred more on the front end due to buying a brace (most of which you could recoup after it becomes an SBR by selling the brace if you wanted to). I'm guessing if you're dropping the cash to get the stamp...cash isn't really a problem for you.

Actually, it makes perfect sense. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom