• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NYRangers917

Oct 6, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    I support the idea of trapping the fox, with the stated intent of relocating it. Now, if you choose to relocate it in a non-viable state, that's up to you.

I read somewhere that somebody once upon a time placed a trap in his or her yard where it was not visible to anybody but the homeowner. Baited the trap with chicken and rib bones, and the next morning when the fox had feasted on a good meal, humanely put the fox out of its misery with a .22 pellet from an air rifle to the head. Double bagged the carcass in very thick contractor's trash bags, and handed it off to a supportive neighbor who had an appropriate place for the relocation.

Just an urban myth, you understand. :D

hmm an interesting myth that is. I will investigate further.

Oh, I forgot to add... if you're in Rockville, call Animal Control. They're good folks and will do what they can to trap and relocate the fox.

Animal Control was quite effective in getting my neighbor's cat to stop sitting on (and scratching) my vehicles. :thumbsup: On a completely related note, it's hilarious watching a middle-aged man sitting in a plastic chair with a retractable leash in his hand, connected to a cat sitting on the roof of his own car. The look on his face was priceless!

-John

Unless MoCo is even crazier than I thought, I don't see animal control trapping/relocating a healthy "native" species due to outdoor cats.

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    Good bet Fox has pups to feed; 2 fold problem, Fox season is closed and Monkey Co has no hunting/shooting zones and Rockville is inside the Zone. The Fox screams are rally cries to mate or pups to come to the call for dinner.

I assume you have a yard, try a coyote decoy or order coyote urine place drops on property line. If you call DNR they recommend using a wildlife trapper for problem wild animals but they are fee based.

Be careful how you handle this it could come back and bite you.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    To add I think a .177 is just going to wound and piss the fox off, not DRT it. Maybe a .22 with excellent shot placement (brain shot through the ear) Just my experiences with possums.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I got a nuisance permit for raccoons. You can trap them, and must kill them. They cannot be relocated due to potential diseases. (I wanted to relocate them on the governor's mansion grounds) Not sure the rules for Foxes. I'll check to see if I can find the link.

Foxes not on the list. Recommend a phone call.

https://wildlifehelp.org/solution/maryland/raccoon/how-trap-and-remove-raccoon/116

http://dnr.maryland.gov/Wildlife/Pages/plants_wildlife/wildlifeproblems.aspx

PS. Your cats are the problem.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I support the idea of trapping the fox, with the stated intent of relocating it. Now, if you choose to relocate it in a non-viable state, that's up to you.

I read somewhere that somebody once upon a time placed a trap in his or her yard where it was not visible to anybody but the homeowner. Baited the trap with chicken and rib bones, and the next morning when the fox had feasted on a good meal, humanely put the fox out of its misery with a .22 pellet from an air rifle to the head. Double bagged the carcass in very thick contractor's trash bags, and handed it off to a supportive neighbor who had an appropriate place for the relocation.

Just an urban myth, you understand. :D

Trash day is Thursday.
    Hunting day is Wednesday.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    Is there a moco or md law that forbids neighbors from letting out cats that poop in your garden boxes (growing veggies)?

I know cats roam, but at a certain point, one shouldn’t have to deal with cat poop in their home grown lettuce

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    Is there a moco or md law that forbids neighbors from letting out cats that poop in your garden boxes (growing veggies)?

I know cats roam, but at a certain point, one shouldn’t have to deal with cat poop in their home grown lettuce

Not sure about the county in general, but Rockville city requires all pets to be on leash or in a carrier when they leave their owner's property.

Rockville City Animal Control is very strict about this once notified :D

-John

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Keep your kitty's inside... Your neighbors will appreciate not having cat crap in their flowerbeds.

This^^^ Cat piss is worse.

My dogs killed a cat in our yard. I felt terribly, but if the cat wasn’t wandering around outside, it wouldn’t have happened.

Attachments

• E05D574F-898A-4061-8DF6-D4555C0842A5.jpg
      E05D574F-898A-4061-8DF6-D4555C0842A5.jpg
      70.3 KB · Views: 374

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Do you have chickens? If so, the course of action may be easier. Crossbow might be better in an Urban environment if the DNR is consulted..

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    Legality of Shooting Cats in Yard

I was waiting for some smart ass to post this:

"My question is this. What is the legality of some upstanding citizen popping some cats with a .177 varmint round from a break barrel pellet rifle?"

You guys have failed me!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

"My question is this. What is the legality of some upstanding citizen popping some cats with a .177 varmint round from a break barrel pellet rifle?"

You guys have failed me!

You need to learn SSS :innocent0

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

You guys have failed me!

That's an excellent question. I have only posed such a hypothetical using a suppressed .22, and imagined it to be most effective.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Unless MoCo is even crazier than I thought, I don't see animal control trapping/relocating a healthy "native" species due to outdoor cats.

That's what I'm thinking also. You tell animal control a fox is harrassing your cats when you let them out to hunt song birds and the outcome may not be what you're wanting.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    So my wife and I have 2 outdoor cats that have been getting cornered and harassed nightly by a red fox. We are awoken around 1-3 am with that unique fox "scream" and upon opening the front door I find my wifes 2 cats backed up to the door with the fox about 5-10 yards off the porch just standing there hollering at them.

My question is this. What is the legality of some upstanding citizen popping that fox with a .177 varmint round from a break barrel pellet rifle?

Or do I have to just call animal control and wait for them to do nothing.
    I feel like its only a matter of time before the fox becomes more aggressive and possibly harms one of the cats.

Edit:
    For clarification,
    We are deep in the heart of moco in a subdivision.

Am I reading this correctly? I'm not trying to get in your face but what the heck? You want to kill wild animals, so you can likely break the law and let your cats roam unmolested at night, is that right? For someone to kill wild animals just to protect their pets who shouldn't be left outside to begin with is rather belligerent. Foxes around my land at night don't cause problems, CATS DO! Foxes help control the rabbit population and other small problematic creatures, CATS DON’T!

If you own pets, they are your responsibility, not ours. Pet owners have no right to impose their pet problems on others and to do so is inconsiderate, arrogant and highly provocative. There are about 80+ million owned cats and about 40+ million feral cats killing about 2.4 billion birds annually in America. When you let your cats out at night, what do you think they are doing? Be a good neighbor and citizen and keep your cats indoors as they are your pets, not the community’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom