• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TQuiz

Nov 30, 2011
    I'm trying to do some research on pistols. I want something that's very accurate at a long range. I was comfortable with my cousin's 40 S&W, but I really want a 1911. I don't know what caliber to get, and I know I don't want a 22. I know there are plenty of people with experience with pistols, and I guess what I'm asking for is advise on what to get and how to make my choice.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Welcome! I would recommend a 9mm for a first handgun... cheap(er) ammo, high capacity, sufficient power. The GLOCK 19 and 17 are great pistols and I personally like the Springfield Armory XD, XDm line. I would recommend going to a range that rents and throwing some lead downrange to get a feel for a few guns.

ETA - what make and model is your cousin's 40S&W?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Well, pistols by nature are not long range weapons. I'd suggest you start by going to ranges and renting different things.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I'm trying to do some research on pistols. I want something that's very accurate at a long range. I was comfortable with my cousin's 40 S&W, but I really want a 1911. I don't know what caliber to get, and I know I don't want a 22. I know there are plenty of people with experience with pistols, and I guess what I'm asking for is advise on what to get and how to make my choice.

1911's come in only one caliber (or at least they should), .45 ACP.

Your decision has been made. :party29:

Now more seriously, you need to ask yourself what purpose do you want the firearm for?

General purpose all around defense, practice, etc 9mm is a good choice because the ammo is everywhere, inexpensive, and powerful enough for self-defense.

Plinking, the .22 rules the day.

Concealed carry? Well that may affect your choice of caliber.

So you need to get a little more specific on what you want from a weapon.

narcolepticsniper

That one guy
    Jul 4, 2009
    Indiana
    Ease up...still upset for shooting so badly on Sunday?

Or...he's your cousin :D

Oh, you're good...:lol:

I was wondering if anyone would catch that.

TQuiz is a pretty natural shot with a pistol, he's got good fundamentals.
    The. 40 that he shot was an XD, regular size. He's also shot my CZ, which he liked but its a small pistol in 9mm. More a carry gun than a daily shooter. He also shot my sigma and hated it (but that's not a surprise)

For having only shot about 20 rounds through any pistol prior to the 3m3g, on our first stage he hit 4 steel knock downs in 5 rounds in great time. He was stopped because the two rifle shooters took too much time.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

The. 40 that he shot was an XD, regular size. He's also shot my CZ, which he liked but its a small pistol in 9mm. More a carry gun than a daily shooter. He also shot my sigma and hated it (but that's not a surprise)

For having only shot about 20 rounds through any pistol prior to the 3m3g, on our first stage he hit 4 steel knock downs in 5 rounds in great time. He was stopped because the two rifle shooters took too much time.

I'm a sneaky MoFo...

Since Intro posts don't show in your post count I checked his profile. Well, who do you think is the only person that friended him? YOU...and you did the 3m3g shoot with your cousin. Not real Sherlock Holmes, but real elementary.

TQuiz must be thinking "long range for 3m3g", yes? Some of those long shots in gun games really test your steadiness and trigger control. I liked the feel of the CZ and as the weight might help recoil it might make it hard to keep steady. As always, he's going to have to try a bunch and see how they fit.

I had his inexperience with shooting many handguns to decide and I'm sorry to say for me I didn't know about pistols and pistol shooting until I'd done it for a few years. In the first 2 months of searching I liked the feel of the XDm9 in my hand and got one. Turns out I grew into it, but with no real experience it was kind of guess.

ETA: Hello and welcome.

Last edited:

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA

The York 3 man 3 gun? That was fun.

If that's the case a Glock 17, M&P, CZ or most any of the quality name brand pistols will work just fine.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Define "long range" for a pistol. When I hear that, I'm thinking 50 yd Bullseye targets...

I was going to say "welcome to the forum", but you probably already know most of the people here!

Zombot

Sep 19, 2011
    Brooklyn, MD
    Well, pistols by nature are not long range weapons. I'd suggest you start by going to ranges and renting different things.

Like Z/28 said, you won't know for sure what you're going to like until you go to a range and shoot. I plan on doing that sooner than later (but I keep getting sidetracked), and once you've fired several rounds through several guns in at least the 9/.40/.45 calibres, you won't really have much of an idea about what feels right in your hand. Also, unless money is semi-plentiful, ammo cost for the range/practice/stockpile could also be an issue, and something to be considered.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    For long range handgun work I have a Dan Wesson 44mag with a 10" custom tubed and scoped barrel and that has been known to keep about 3" at 200yds. For 100yd plinking I scoped a 7" barrel for my S&W 22a.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    A Sig 210, or 5" barrel 1911 will be very accurate. You could also get a very accurate .22 target pistols, I can't tell you anything about those though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom