• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Has anyone run across a database of bullet images to help find the Mfg and published characteristics of an unknown bullet? I frequently find grab bags of pulled bullets at gun shows and it would be nice if you could search images by keywords and try to ID them.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If have grab bags of pulled bullets with no information, what keywords would you plug into a search engine?

Not busting balls.

Best thing to do is separate them as soft cast, hard cast, FMJ, and plated.

Then weigh and label them and use standard published data for reloads.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Hollow point, soft point, FMJ, flat bottom, boat tail, spitzer, round nose, flat nose, cannelure, pressure ring, soft cast, hard cast, truncated nose, exposed lead, plated, markings, etc.... If the database is constructed, as many keywords can be used as the designer can come up with.

The keywords would get you a batch of images that you can visually use to help ID the bullet.

Load data isn't my target result, Ballistic Coefficients would be.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I think this is where experience takes into play.
    If you don't have it, then you can turn to the experience of others.
    When you don't have the experience yourself, Just Post the a photo, diameter, weight and a magnet test.
    Maybe smash one with a hammer to determine whats inside.

Then soak up all the advice and make your own decisions. Ultimately, you are responsible for yourself.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I hear you, and this is in some ways a devils advocate post. We have databases of load data, of powders, of headstamps, of primers. Yet we ask everyone reloading to soak up advice and gain experience when it comes to projectiles.

My thoughts were brought to head with this Ad for 130gr .308 pulls, on sale for $0.18/ea

https://www.americanreloading.com/e...08-130gr-hollow-point-projectiles-250-ct.html

They "look" very much like the Federal Mk319 mod 0 SOST round, with the exception of only a single pressure ring. Someone I asked mention PPU pulls, but I haven't been able to find anything about them..

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The problem is, there are some very subtle difference between various similar bullets.

What someone would need to do is a photo comparator program. You take a photo with your phone, enter diameter, length, weight and it compares to the database.

Like CSI and NCIS use on the shows. :)

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    The problem is, there are some very subtle difference between various similar bullets.

What someone would need to do is a photo comparator program. You take a photo with your phone, enter diameter, length, weight and it compares to the database.

Like CSI and NCIS use on the shows. :)

I wouldn't even need it as complex as that, just cutting down on the amount of images to look through and having one repository for the images that purposely has as much data stored with them as possible. Kinda like a used car search. You enter one attribute (model) and you get images for all those models. Then enter sub-model, or color, or engine, or price range, or location, etc. and continually narrow the results.

If I select .308 diameter, hollow point, flat bottom, single pressure ring, 130gr, and optionally things like overall length, bearing surface length, magnetic/non-mag then ideally the above projectile would show up if anyone has ever seen it before and entered the information into the database..

I wouldn't really mind or care if there were 12 different versions of 175gr HPBT match .308 boolits, really only different in Mfg, if it gets me a few BC's (hopefully all close to one another) to use and compare how my loads test against them. But if some of those 175grs were solid lead core, segmented core, steel core, etc. that would affect penetration and expansion, you would know to test those attributes with your unknowns if that was important to you...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The problem is, it is those small differences that lead up to BIG changes in BC.

Look at Lapua Scenar 175 grain, Sierra Match King 175s, and Berger VLD 175 grain.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I'm sure you can always find reasons why not to do it, but with only a 2.5" drop difference @600yds for these 3, it wouldn't deter me from calling them one-in-the-same for my purpose

If that difference mattered for your use, you probably wouldn't be buying unknown bulk bullets at a gun show...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If the BC due to shape doesn't make that much difference, why do you care if the 175 gr bullet you have is a Sierra, Nosler, Berger or etc??????????????

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'm thinking that buying bullets with all the important information already spelled out is the best course of action if an individual needs that bullet to perform a specific task.

Grab Bag + No Data = Plinking Ammo.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    A cannelure is for crimping, a pressure ring is to ease the pressure of the displaced jacket being deformed by the barrel rifling and also help reduce the friction of the bearing surface

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Those rings further specified aren't on * jackets * , they are sometimes used on monolithic bullets aka solid copper aka certain flavors of Barnes X Bullets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom