• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    Had a longtime friend and former Maryland State champion sporting clays shooter have MSP show up this week to seize all his guns. All this happened since he applied and was granted hql ahead of the election only to have it revoked a week later. All this for 3 bounced checks of $5, $10 &$15 in 1966. This man is in his seventies. So pathetic I'm sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I've seen this before in criminal histories from the 1960's. Even small bounced checks were treated as very serious crimes under MD law back then. This scenario is perfectly believable to me.

I don't blame MSP. Once they are aware, they have to follow the law. I blame the lawmakers. So glad the MGA is keeping us safe from responsible men now in their 70's with a $5 bounced check fifty years ago. I hate this state.

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    It's totally true why would I make it up. Presenting a false instrument is a misdemeanor is how it was explained to me. Have fun with it though guys and appreciate the support.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Still suspect. Statutes of limitations are well passed.

No statute of limitations involved, if he was prosecuted and convicted of a crime with more than the alloted possible jail time, he's prohibited in MD. Statute of limitations would apply to new prosecution for the bounced checks; there is no mention of new prosecution of that crime.

What does apply is retroactive punishment increase. The constitution prohibits increasing penalty for a crime after the sentence is served: Article I Section 9, paragraph 3.

Someone needs to be collecting these poor folks for a class action suit against SB281 on that ground.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    No statute of limitations involved, if he was prosecuted and convicted of a crime with more than the alloted possible jail time, he's prohibited in MD. Statute of limitations would apply to new prosecution for the bounced checks; there is no mention of new prosecution of that crime.

What does apply is retroactive punishment increase. The constitution prohibits increasing penalty for a crime after the sentence is served: Article I Section 9, paragraph 3.

Someone needs to be collecting these poor folks for a class action suit against SB281 on that ground.

He should speak with MSI.

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    I've offered to put in contact with MSI and says his lawyer has been working on it for a few months. Interesting how they just showed up yesterday out of the blue.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Perfectly highlights why our gun laws need to be radically reformed. Unless somebody is a convicted violent felon, for a specific short list of qualifying crime, then that person should automatically have all rights restored upon completing their sentence. It's time to kick the nanny state to the curb forever.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I speculate this happened because he lied on his HQL not the bounced checks; the law addresses value less than $100 unless he did it on purpose. The crime don't fit the crime. Definitely more to this.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Yeah, OP, your attitude sucks. Folks come on here to learn and share info. Your attitude and your three one line posts makes it hard to help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom