• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That's truly an awesome gift. Guns with a personal history are my favorite. My father in law gave me his Colt detective special that he carried as a DC homcide detective. Although I rarely shoot it I'm honored just to own it. I hope you have a chance to shoot it with your father in law some day.

We are going to get out soon. Thank you.

Jul 1, 2012
    Might not be a bad idea to get a Wolff spring kit (16# recoil spring and extra-power firing pin spring) before shooting it.
    Save the originals...

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Wow!

Ditto on a spring kit. If you have a C&R license Wolff will knock 35% off the price.

Also, if your FIL has other stuff he needs to get rid of and you don't need, remember us folks here on MD Shooters... :D

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Sweet Springfield! For that I'd treat him to dinner once a month for the rest of his life. Nice to see you have a great relationship with your father in law, cherish it!
    I'll be putting up a thread soon with my Springfield 1911 and the original folded base mag I recently acquired. Got lucky and found one for $165 on Evil Pay. Condition is a bit rough but as somd_mustangs mentioned these routinely fetch $250-300. Besides, I've got modern 1911s to shoot so this one doesn't need to function for range duty.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Wow!

Ditto on a spring kit. If you have a C&R license Wolff will knock 35% off the price.

Also, if your FIL has other stuff he needs to get rid of and you don't need, remember us folks here on MD Shooters... :D

He has been particular about the firearms he's purchased. He stipulates that any of his guns get passed down to his grandchildren.

He has 3 daughters. One doesn't like guns (actually her husband doesn't like guns.:rolleyes:) He has given me a few things to set aside for her son. I will give them to my nephew when he is old enough. Hunting/shooting is a big part of the heritage of my wife's family. I will be passing them on to my kids, nieces and nephews. Sorry....can't sell any.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    You are lucky. One of the things I miss not having a dad growing up and having my grandfather passing when I was very young. I know I've said it before, but lots of people don't appreciate things like this.

Congrats!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You are lucky. One of the things I miss not having a dad growing up and having my grandfather passing when I was very young. I know I've said it before, but lots of people don't appreciate things like this.

Congrats!

Thanks, my friend. In my case, I appreciate it more than words can say. How cool is it that one of my best friends in the world is my father-in-law who I love and respect?

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Thanks for sharing this most awesome gift!
    After building my own 1911's I have a whole new appreciation for them and to have an original one is a dream of mine. Still not going to get my HQL though.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Well, some might say lucky. I disagree.

Ole Lefty Driesell was fond of saying you put yourself in a position to be lucky.

Doc, you've been a great friend to many. You're probably a damned good husband, father and son in law.

Karma is a funny gal. Great karma. I'm happy for ya.

PS. That's a damn fine example IMO.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Thanks, my friend. In my case, I appreciate it more than words can say. How cool is it that one of my best friends in the world is my father-in-law who I love and respect?

That is a gift in and of itself. I love my FIL too. He is the person that got me into firearms and 2A stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Congratulations. A very nice gift! I am very fond of the 1911s. It was my tote weapon for 21 years of active duty from 1963 to 1984.

I developed a passion to collect old timers in 2002, and I now own one of everything that I trained with or carried starting with ROTC in 1959. I have two Colt 1911s (1917 & 1918), a US&S, an Ithaca and a Remington Rand, along with numerous Garands, a M1A, a Colt SP-1 (M16 clone) and one each of the ten manufacturers of M1 Carbines.

I carried a M1 Carbine in Vietnam, a 1911 and a S&W .38 special on two flying tours in II and III Corps.

I recommended that you fire only military grade ammunition and that you retain any part that you choose to upgrade or replace. Do not tamper with the finish on the pistol or the magazine. If you do, the value will plummet. Those grips (stock) are worth hundreds of dollars. Make sure to document the pistols history! It'll add value. Keep the piece as close to original as when you took possession. Clean it, shoot it and enjoy the hell out of it!

I have several .45 magazines, but not sure if any of them date to WWI. If I have a spare, I'd be happy to speak with you.

Always read and appreciate your input on MDS. Keep up the good work and enjoy that fine 1911. It surely is a unique piece with a neat history.

Lew--Ranger63 & Good Guy 176 (which was the call sign for one of the Beavers I flew)
    Korea 64, Vietnam 66-67 & 69-70, Germany 74-77

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

That is a gift in and of itself. I love my FIL too. He is the person that got me into firearms and 2A stuff.

I hear you guys. I knew my father in law twice as long as my own father. He passed 3 years ago and I really miss him. He was one hell of a person. My own father passed when I was 10.

Cherish the time you have left with them.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same on my end. I always liked guns, but my FIL really sparked my interest. He is a wonderful man.

Congratulations. A very nice gift! I am very fond of the 1911s. It was my tote weapon for 21 years of active duty from 1963 to 1984.

I developed a passion to collect old timers in 2002, and I now own one of everything that I trained with or carried starting with ROTC in 1959. I have two Colt 1911s (1917 & 1918), a US&S, an Ithaca and a Remington Rand, along with numerous Garands, a M1A, a Colt SP-1 (M16 clone) and one each of the ten manufacturers of M1 Carbines.

I carried a M1 Carbine in Vietnam, a 1911 and a S&W .38 special on two flying tours in II and III Corps.

I recommended that you fire only military grade ammunition and that you retain any part that you choose to upgrade or replace. That wood stock (grips) is worth hundreds of dollars. Make sure to document the pistols history! That adds to its worth.

I have several .45 magazines, but not sure if any of them date to WWI. If I have a spare, I'd be happy to speak with you.

Always read and appreciate your input on MDS. Keep up the good work and enjoy that fine 1911. It is surely a unique piece with a neat history.

Lew--Ranger63 & Good Guy 176 (which was the call sign for one of the Beavers I flew)

Thank you for the advice. I may shoot is once or twice, but it will not be in my regular rotation.
    I hear you guys. I knew my father in law twice as long as my own father. He passed 3 years ago and I really miss him. He was one hell of a person. My own father passed when I was 10.

Cherish the time you have left with them.

My father was a wonderful man. My father in law introduced me to a lot of things I wouldn't otherwise have had exposure to. They have both been huge influences in my life. My father passed away, I am more acutely aware of the time i have left with my father in law. We are doing more thinks with the kids, which is really great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom