• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    you guys made the call. I'll support it.

everyone wants to be an armchair quarterback.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks. I appreciate that not everyone will necessarily agree. But ultimately it is a judgment call about how to maximize our effectiveness. If anyone wants to throw rotten eggs, I am here as a target. Toss away.

Let's be clear MSI wasn't leading the 2AT charge in the past, it was only offering a supporting roll to the NRA and MSRPA - so where the hell are they this year? Esqappellate shouldn't have to explain why MSI as a 503(c)4 can't lead the charge, and it doesn't deserve too much criticism for trying to breath life into a once good but more recently lackluster event that the NRA and MSPRA abandoned. As a life member of the NRA my future contribution will be going local to MSI.

In any event, I see this all as a positive development. The Patriots of the Picket have been unleashed to raise hell on the bricks and the legal eagles can focus their efforts on the inside game.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Let's be clear MSI wasn't leading the 2AT charge in the past, it was only offering a supporting roll to the NRA and MSRPA - so where the hell are they this year? Esqappellate shouldn't have to explain why MSI as a 503(c)4 can't lead the charge, and it doesn't deserve too much criticism for trying to breath life into a once good but more recently lackluster event that the NRA and MSPRA abandoned. As a life member of the NRA my future contribution will be going local to MSI.

In any event, I see this all as a positive development. The Patriots of the Picket have been unleashed to raise hell on the bricks and the legal eagles can focus their efforts on the inside game.

:thumbsup:

And kudos to the Pavement Patriots for stepping up. I gotta look for a decorative holster now ...

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Thanks. I appreciate that not everyone will necessarily agree. But ultimately it is a judgment call about how to maximize our effectiveness. If anyone wants to throw rotten eggs, I am here as a target. Toss away.

It has been my understanding that MSI only helped promote 2AT but that the nuts and bolts planning rested squarely in the lap of the NRA and MSRPA. The only notice I received about 2AT, other than through MDS, was an email from MSI.

With that said, it is also my understanding that both the NRA and MSRPA were not involved this year so my questions would be A) was there no communication between the orgs? Someone set the date and pulled the permit. B) did MSI take the lead this year and decide to pull the plug when last year's event was roundly criticized for being lackluster and bad timing?

I think it was the right move, either it wasn't an MSI event and you shouldn't get stuck holding the bag or it was and you made a smart move to cancel. Either way, no rotten eggs, clearly the best use of limited resources.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    It has been my understanding that MSI only helped promote 2AT but that the nuts and bolts planning rested squarely in the lap of the NRA and MSRPA. The only notice I received about 2AT, other than through MDS, was an email from MSI.

With that said, it is also my understanding that both the NRA and MSRPA were not involved this year so my questions would be A) was there no communication between the orgs? Someone set the date and pulled the permit. B) did MSI take the lead this year and decide to pull the plug when last year's event was roundly criticized for being lackluster and bad timing?

I think it was the right move, either it wasn't an MSI event and you shouldn't get stuck holding the bag or it was and you made a smart move to cancel. Either way, no rotten eggs, clearly the best use of limited resources.

And that was the bottom line. Resources are always finite and there is always more to spend $$ on than the $ you got. So you look to maximize bang for the buck. Here, the most return on the investment is to encourage folks to turn out for Gun Days, when we know what we are facing and have some defined targets for activism. Thanks.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    And that was the bottom line. Resources are always finite and there is always more to spend $$ on than the $ you got. So you look to maximize bang for the buck. Here, the most return on the investment is to encourage folks to turn out for Gun Days, when we know what we are facing and have some defined targets for activism. Thanks.

I agree with the idea of the most bang for the buck, but is there a strategy to allow for ample time to invite the public to the hearing days? I know last year there were cancellations and all kinds of shenanigans.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I agree with the idea of the most bang for the buck, but is there a strategy to allow for ample time to invite the public to the hearing days? I know last year there were cancellations and all kinds of shenanigans.

We have to be vigilant. What's for sure is that they can't sit on their bills for too long and still expect consideration. So we always know more later than what we will know on Feb 7. We have taken away their tactic of waiting until 2A Tuesday is over. So yes, I think there will be time. We shall see.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Hopper day is near the end of February (Dan will correct me if im wrong). All bills must be in by then to be considered without having to go through the rules committee first. So typically everything is out in the open by then.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    It has been my understanding that MSI only helped promote 2AT but that the nuts and bolts planning rested squarely in the lap of the NRA and MSRPA. The only notice I received about 2AT, other than through MDS, was an email from MSI...

It didn't start out that way. The first year it was an MSI-led event. Then after the first year's success, others progressively became more involved until the NRA more or less was running the show in the last year or two.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD

An excellent call! :thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Admittedly I was physically.laid up for 2016. But '13, '14, '15 had ample turnout for Hearings and Testimony , with the main limiting factor being short notice and shifting dates to take time off from work.

Did 2016 have a major drop off in participation ?

Printing out and hauling written testimony will be more challenging without an inside hook up, but is there really anything to significantly do to increase raw numbers over the '13-'15 levels as long as the otherside still gets to play games with the scheduling ?

Meanwhile 2AT was a fixed target. Plenty of time for "us" to make arrangements, and to invite along others who are less activist.

I was laid up for '16, but in '15 I was having concerns in the back of my mind about the co-opting of 2A Tue and the long term sustainability. And particularly since 2A Tue had been a talking point at the booth, it will seem a capitulation to the larger gun owning community.

But hey, it's y'alls decision and I didn't have a standing one way or the other. Hopefully I will be wrong , and there's a double super secret plan to be even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom