• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    You can also load specifically for these guns, but if you are not already equipped to reload, the cost would be a bit high. It's a bit more complex than the average, but there are some very good references available.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    There is nothing weak about a Trapdoor when using Trapdoor loads.

Focus on buying "Cowboy" loads and you'll be fine.

A lot of history is those old rifles. Have fun shooting it.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Fun rifles to shoot however they do have a few tricks when it comes to getting accuracy out of them. Most bores tend to run oversize and they have shallow rifling. You will get the best accuracy hand loading for them. One bullet that I have found to work very well is the 405 grain cast hollow base bullet lubed with SPG using either 2F blackpowder or IMR 3031 smokeless using the data for trapdoors. The bullet is available either .458 or .460, I have one rifle that shoots the .458 well and one that prefers the .460.
    http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=157349&CAT=4135

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    The Ultramax Cowboy loads shoot well in my M1884. They're loaded light with smokeless powder, so they won't bust your shoulder or damage the rifle provided it's in good shape.

I've read that you shouldn't use jacketed bullets in Trapdoors due to the light rifling. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I've only shot lead through mine. Accurate 5744 powder works good if you make your own loads too.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    The Ultramax Cowboy loads shoot well in my M1884. They're loaded light with smokeless powder, so they won't bust your shoulder or damage the rifle provided it's in good shape.

I've read that you shouldn't use jacketed bullets in Trapdoors due to the light rifling. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I've only shot lead through mine. Accurate 5744 powder works good if you make your own loads too.

I have an officers model and agree with the powder and bullet preference.
    AA 5744 and 405 grain slug.

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    I picked up an earlier version for my collection but would love to get one of the Navy Arms Officer's models to take to the range and plink with. I started out with blackpowder and always had a lot of fun with it.

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    Fun rifles to shoot however they do have a few tricks when it comes to getting accuracy out of them....cast hollow base bullet...

The Trapdoor's shallow rifling needs the soft-lead and hollow-base bullets.

Otherwise, you will see keyholes in your target in as little as 25 yards.

4570inMD

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Do what you want, but it's a really bad idea to shoot someone else's reloads.

You have no idea what's in those cases.

Could be no powder, the wrong powder, or way too much powder.

Buy ammo from a reputable source. Your gun and your digits will thank you.

KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo
    Does anyone have a good/reputable source for buying a 1873 or 1884 trapdoor original? Ive looked around the internet and im a bit wary of buying some of the ones ive seen on Gunbroker. Looking mainly for a shooter.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Does anyone have a good/reputable source for buying a 1873 or 1884 trapdoor original? Ive looked around the internet and im a bit wary of buying some of the ones ive seen on Gunbroker. Looking mainly for a shooter.

There will be a nice selection available at the Baltimore Antique gun show in March, that is where I always bought mine.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I have an officers model and agree with the powder and bullet preference.
    AA 5744 and 405 grain slug.

What is an Officer's Model 1884? I have 3 original ones, an 1873 Carbine model, a 1884 Cadet model and a 1884 Rifle model, but I have not head of an Officer's model.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    It is a H&R reproduction.

Attachments

• 45-70.jpg
      45-70.jpg
      70.8 KB · Views: 325

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    In my opinion, the prices represent fair market value. The knowledge level of the folks on the forum associated with this web site is very high, particularly with regard to the Springfield Trapdoors. I suspect that if prices were out of line, Al would hear about it from some of the "graybeards" on the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom