What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    Finally figured out 45ACP COAL for xtreme 200gr RNFP... loaded up three hundred primers in the feeding tubes... Now, titegroup or clays....?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Finally figured out 45ACP COAL for xtreme 200gr RNFP... loaded up three hundred primers in the feeding tubes... Now, titegroup or clays....?

Of the two you list I'd do the Titegroup. I've tried the Clays in a couple different calibers and went back to Winchester 231. What I have left of the Clays is in the MEC Sizemaster and is being used up in 12 gauge. It that just my preference.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I did a ladder using 180gr LFP and Unique for my 40. Trying to get as close to 944 fps without going over with my Lee powder thrower. I also decapped a bucket of .38 Special and .357 Magnum brass.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Of the two you list I'd do the Titegroup. I've tried the Clays in a couple different calibers and went back to Winchester 231. What I have left of the Clays is in the MEC Sizemaster and is being used up in 12 gauge. It that just my preference.

Other than not metering the best, were you having other issues with it? I'm trying to use Clays in everything possible because that's what I have. I don't shoot much so I haven't developed an opinion about it yet.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Other than not metering the best, were you having other issues with it? I'm trying to use Clays in everything possible because that's what I have. I don't shoot much so I haven't developed an opinion about it yet.

It been awhile but I'm sure metering was on the list, but I'm like you I was trying to do a one powder fits all thing and the Winchester beat out the clays on my bench. The Titegroup worked better in my 380 so I just stayed with it for that one.

Zman9398

Jan 15, 2017
    I tumbled about 400 cases of .223 and about 200 cases of 9mm. Fully prepped about 30 .223. Bought 3 pounds of powder, some primers, and 500 55gr bullets and 100 68gr bthp bullets. Also set up my powder scale and installed new rcbs ar dies

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Used my Christmas present surface pro 4 16gb memory, 512gb ss Drive installed Office, LightRoom scanner SW it's a screamer. Win 10. Oh, on my reloading bench.

Last edited:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Hand primed 400 cases.

If i could just find firearm and reloading activities that used the other 98% of my muscles I could look like this.

398fb3b2d3f6f976042b4819563ff495.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Taught a fellow member how to reload, this past Sunday evening.

That's on my agenda too in the new few weeks. To me, this is a "pay it forward" from when another shooting buddy gave me a tutorial when a buddy taught me to reload. Recently, friend of mine bought a .243 bolt action rifle and has been enjoying shooting it, but was lamenting the cost of ammo. I chimed in that reloading was a great solution to let him shoot more cost effectively. Then I offered to help teach him how to do it on my press. Unfortunately, I don't have .245 dies, so he had to buy them. He's ordered all the consumable supplies and will be coming over for a tutorial.

JoeR

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    That's on my agenda too in the new few weeks. To me, this is a "pay it forward" from when another shooting buddy gave me a tutorial when a buddy taught me to reload. Recently, friend of mine bought a .243 bolt action rifle and has been enjoying shooting it, but was lamenting the cost of ammo. I chimed in that reloading was a great solution to let him shoot more cost effectively. Then I offered to help teach him how to do it on my press. Unfortunately, I don't have .245 dies, so he had to buy them. He's ordered all the consumable supplies and will be coming over for a tutorial.

JoeR

When he shoots 308, he'll be thankful for you teaching him. I do it to give back to MDS, for everything the community has given me.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    When he shoots 308, he'll be thankful for you teaching him. I do it to give back to MDS, for everything the community has given me.

Very cool idea. Maybe one day I'll be comfortable enough to teach others how to reload. But for now I think I'll stick to my own stuff since I'm pretty new at it. Very cool of you to do that for someone. This forum is full of cool people.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Very cool idea. Maybe one day I'll be comfortable enough to teach others how to reload. But for now I think I'll stick to my own stuff since I'm pretty new at it. Very cool of you to do that for someone. This forum is full of cool people.

When you are comfortable and ready to teach other people, you'll know when the time is right. I just teach the process, safety, and to keep an eye on everything that you are doing. I tend not to share my habits, because a new reloader might overlook a crucial warning sign by engaging in my habits, where I would not miss the warning signs. It may not seem s if I am running a mental checklist in my head with each handle pull, but I am running a checklist of primer seated (by feel), powder within acceptable norms, bullet seated properly, etc... before I rotate that shellplate.

Even though I teach people how to load on a progressive, they are very slow in the process and are paying attention to every single thing that is going on with each pull of the handle. The new reloader being so focused on doing it right is my only real concern. I don't care if it takes a new reloader 20 minutes or 2+ hours to run off 50 rounds on my 550 for their first ever load session. I am standing there with them and am watching them do their thing, answering questions and the only things I ever say is to ask all the question you can think of and if you think you made a mistake to say something.

Wait till my 20k karma. Remind me then to give you an extra entry.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Picked up some projectiles from Tomkat today. It was cool to see what a high volume reloading operation looks like.

The also showed me some of the rifles they are building too. I had no idea they built custom arms. Very nice team.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I finally took my first 5 loads to the range yesterday. Mission success! My hand was trembling a bit (a lot), but my Beretta 92FS got them onto the paper in spite of me. This morning, I loaded 25 more before work. Happy, happy, happy!

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I finally took my first 5 loads to the range yesterday. Mission success! My hand was trembling a bit (a lot), but my Beretta 92FS got them onto the paper in spite of me. This morning, I loaded 25 more before work. Happy, happy, happy!

Good deal! I will be trying reduced loads in my 92 this weekend. They wouldn't cycle before so I installed a weaker slide spring and a "D" hammer spring. I can actually pull the trigger now in D/A. :innocent0

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

Did you chrono them?

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I've loaded .357 Magnum for almost 10 years for my son's Cowboy Action guns. However, they were always a relatively light load of Winchester 231 powder behind either a round nose - flat point or truncated cone lead bullet. Tonight, I decided to load up some full-bore defense loads using 158 gr Hornady XTP hollow points and a much higher charge of the same powder. I got them done, but my 550B press was fighting me all the way. Specifically the primer feed wouldn't pick up a fresh primer from the magazine tube. With each stroke, I had to pull back on the slider to get a primer to drop. With the extra step I never got into a quick routine. Now I can't wait to get to the range and touch off a few of them in my Model 28. I might also bring his Winchester '92 clone to try a few out of a long gun.

Even though it was frustrating, at least I feel like I accomplished something tonight...not just sittin' around being a couch potato!!

Joe

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Did you chrono them?

No, but I will. Yesterday was rainy, and I just wanted to see them go!!

I started with the minimum (CFE Pistol) load (4.7gr) for 9mm 115 gr FMJ RN from my Hornady 10th. There was a little more black on the outside of the fired cases than I'm used to seeing on the factory ammo that I shoot. I think that means it was a little under powered?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom