• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I guess I don't see the unreasonableness of the current system if you take your normal precautions to protect your PII. don't give PII to someone you don't know. seems easy to me.

so we disagree. no problem with that.

scattervision

Bang Bang Bangity Bang
    May 12, 2016
    But my CC company protects me from illegal use of my CC. There is no protection if I voluntarily give someone my driver's license number and social security information. I'm not concerned about the system being corrupt, I'm talking about the person I'm giving this information to being the criminal.

Stupid, this is Maryland isn't it?

Where did all the talk about providing your SSN come from? Neither the dealer sale nor secondary sale processes require SSN in the Portal.

As a matter of fact, the Portal provides increased privacy for the seller because the buyer doesn't have permanent record of the seller's home address and other information. The e-portal masks that information in the electronic record the buyer can see afterward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The old 77r required it and someone was worried about providing that info in advance of a secondary sale. seems it would have been a common sense decision to not prove PII to someone you don't know.

but that's just me

scattervision

Bang Bang Bangity Bang
    May 12, 2016
    Has anyone filled one out for a secondary/private sale yet?

I'm assuming since it's a separate option in the beginning, that it's a different form, maybe?

Wondering if I should prefill one of those out too?

The secondary sale form requires some basic information from the person from whom you are buying the firearm, so starting one way in advance doesn't accomplish much.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Where did all the talk about providing your SSN come from? Neither the dealer sale nor secondary sale processes require SSN in the Portal.

As a matter of fact, the Portal provides increased privacy for the seller because the buyer doesn't have permanent record of the seller's home address and other information. The e-portal masks that information in the electronic record the buyer can see afterward.

It did for me. Section 2b. In the section where you provide the seller (sellors) information. It asks for a Driver's License number and their Social Security number. I tried to do a Secondary Sale and that is what I got. So instead, we are going through a dealer and treating it like a dealer's transfer.

Again, please read my concerns, it's not the portal I'm worried about. It's giving my Driver's license and social security to anyone (a stranger) on-line or over the phone.

Also the buyer can print out the application and then they have every bit of the seller's information forever and ever. So where's the increased security?

scattervision

Bang Bang Bangity Bang
    May 12, 2016
    No flame intended, but I don't think folks were excited or jubilant, more so just reporting on the how the system worked. I, for one, was pleased (not excited) that is was as easy as it was. I was concerned that it would be complex and not user friendly. I filled out paper forms on friday and found the online much easier. Most, if not all, shops will have computers for customers and should help them the process. As someone else mentioned, I am sure the dealer will use a company cc if you don't have one.

You can also do the form on your smart phone.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    The old 77r required it and someone was worried about providing that info in advance of a secondary sale. seems it would have been a common sense decision to not prove PII to someone you don't know.

but that's just me

So why is the on-line application even a part of the process? If you won't complete the form beforehand why have it at all. Why not just stay with the existing program?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    So why is the on-line application even a part of the process? If you won't complete the form beforehand why have it at all. Why not just stay with the existing program?

This is the question. Why not either?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Jim, I think I have outlined my plan to prevent my PII from being given to a stranger.

Feel free to continue to be concerned over what I consider to be a future non event for most of us.

I have nothing more to say about this,

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    The MSP basement is overflowing with boxes and boxes of this paperwork and is apparently an organizational nightmare. They had to go digital at some point for their own sanity.

I still contend they are obligated to have a process available for people without email addresses and credit cards. It won't kill them to keep a small stack of paper forms around for this.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    the 77r does not say it's optional. The 4473 does.

Attachments

• buyer.jpg
      buyer.jpg
      36.7 KB · Views: 259
    • seller.jpg
      seller.jpg
      24 KB · Views: 258

scattervision

Bang Bang Bangity Bang
    May 12, 2016
    Has anyone filled one out for a secondary/private sale yet?

I'm assuming since it's a separate option in the beginning, that it's a different form, maybe?

Wondering if I should prefill one of those out too?
    The secondary sale form requires some basic information related to the seller of the firearm, so starting the form before there's an actual purchase planned / firearm identified isn't very useful.

scattervision

Bang Bang Bangity Bang
    May 12, 2016
    But not via the web. Who's going to give you there SS# unless it's at the time of the transfer. I'd be very hesitant to give my SS# to someone who says they want to buy my handgun.

Imagine the scams that could occur? Over the internet, "I would like to buy your Glock. I will need your driver license number and SS#."

A big difference in my opinion if I'm standing in front of the buyer at a store or barracks. I'm not comfortable just giving this information to some faceless character just because he says he wants to buy my handgun over the internet.

YMMV
    The secondary sale form doesn't require anything from the seller, in advance of meeting at the store or barrack, other than a name and phone number (or email contact). When buyer and seller get to the barrack the remaining information is entered by the DO. The form does not require SSN.

Also, the seller information is masked from the buyer in the e-portal, so the buyer doesn't have lasting access to the seller's address and whatnot. Just their name and phone number. Added security like that is kinda cool, IMO.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I just became my LGS's Guinea Pig for the new system, seemed pretty painless but I still had to fill out a paper 4473 for the store records.
    Now I wonder if it will update the process of the background check, guess I'll keep an eye on the portal.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The 4473i is not transmitted anywhere . The FFL retains it. Some FFL's have a fillable PDF for the 4473, but it's just to make tilling it out quicker.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I just created my account. Dunno if I'll ever actually use it as I'm not planning any more firearm buys in MD. But ya just never know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom