• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mini14Tom

Nobody in particular.
    Aug 4, 2013
    East Frederick Co.
    My shooting glasses are prescription glasses but slightly different than the ones I am normally required to wear. It would be senseless to use any other glasses. I couldn't see the targets :-)

The eye protection they provide was chosen for the wrap-around side coverage and to fit over the top of whatever shooting glasses you normally wear. I wear prescription glasses myself and their safety eye protection fit over mine OK. If one's shooting glasses are very large frame and large lenses there might be interference.

I asked the RSO who accompanied me if the safety eyeware and hearing protection was single use, since you deposit each into collection drums upon leaving the range area, but he said no. They are collected after use and are cleaned and sanitized by some process and returned to stock. I didn't ask about the details of how that is accomplished.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Bring on this x-hairdresser.

I have a box of fruity wine in the fridge getting cold along with Barry White queued up AND I ALSO HAVE.... a restraining order already drafted just in case. Ya never know which way these things are going to go ... now do you!

All you need now is a can of aerosol cheese.

Clippers69

Mar 7, 2011
    Heritage

I just shot at Heritage late this afternoon for the first time. I had already gone to the Open House and received my card, etc. Everyone was friendly and remembered me from my visit. They were only able to take credit cards and not cash yet. I bought my own ear and eye protection as well as targets. I asked if the price included targets and they said it only included the lane and ear and eye protection which they didn't show me where it was. I guess they figured that I didn't want anything. The range is very nice and the targeting system is first rate. I shot for over an hour as there was only one other person there besides me. It filled up with two more people later on. What concerns me is the cost of the lane to shoot. $25 for an hour with ear and eye protection included and no targets is pretty steep. If it was $20 an hour without targets, that wouldn't be so bad. The rental prices are decent and they do have alot of guns available. Hope that the prices don't deter people from shooting there and that they can take cash soon.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I just shot at Heritage late this afternoon for the first time. I had already gone to the Open House and received my card, etc. Everyone was friendly and remembered me from my visit. They were only able to take credit cards and not cash yet. I bought my own ear and eye protection as well as targets. I asked if the price included targets and they said it only included the lane and ear and eye protection which they didn't show me where it was. I guess they figured that I didn't want anything. The range is very nice and the targeting system is first rate. I shot for over an hour as there was only one other person there besides me. It filled up with two more people later on. What concerns me is the cost of the lane to shoot. $25 for an hour with ear and eye protection included and no targets is pretty steep. If it was $20 an hour without targets, that wouldn't be so bad. The rental prices are decent and they do have alot of guns available. Hope that the prices don't deter people from shooting there and that they can take cash soon.

Pretty sure the 'other 2 people' were my son in law and me. We went and checked it out, and shared a lane for an hour. I agree, top rate facility, target system is great. very nice place and experience, a tad bit on the pricey side but it's a top rate facility. Shocked me that they allow rifles and shotguns on the range, just no belted magnums. I used my own eye and ear protection. I took my own 45 but we also rented a S&W Governor for something different and shot 410 and 45 long colts thru it. It was supposed to take 45acp also but the moon clips were missing, no big deal. nice retail section too with a good selection.
    All in all I was pleasantly surprised, and will go again. To me it seems like a perfect environment for introducing someone who may be hesitant about firearms to the shooting hobby... kinda like the Neiman Marcus of ranges if that makes any sense.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I love how everyone says it's top rate, great staff, well stocked, advanced target system, a real high quality place. Alas, it's way too expensive.

:thumbup:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That was my opinion. Some folks questioned my thoughts, but there are cheaper alternatives if other factors are pretty equal.

distance, staff, etc.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    That was my opinion. Some folks questioned my thoughts, but there are cheaper alternatives if other factors are pretty equal.

distance, staff, etc.

First time out is $35 for an hour, then $25/hr next time. I thought NRA was steep at $15.

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    I went today with my roommate. Great place will go back again. My only comment is to bring ear plugs as well as muffs. My AR with a muzzle brake was still very loud and concussive.
    They give you 3 targets with the entry price and eyes and ears. They also let me keep my brass.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    When I toured the facility back in May, they closed the door to one of the two ranges, and from inside I could feel the pressure increase in my ears.

I know there was also acoustical engineer involvement.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Has anyone compared the ranges at Heritage and The Machine Gun Nest? I have an annual membership at TMGN so I am unlikely to spend money to shoot at Heritage, but I am just curious!

Cal68

Mini14Tom

Nobody in particular.
    Aug 4, 2013
    East Frederick Co.
    Yep, for me the NRA is cheaper. And closer.

Of course for Fredneckians it's a great opportunity.

That's it exactly. For me, the higher fees at the two new ranges are offset by fewer miles driven and time doing so.

Consider my trips: (one way)

Hap Baker-- 27 miles, 45 minutes, $15 (non-resident Carroll Co.)

Hendershot's-- 38 miles, 50 minutes, $ 12 / half hour.

Heritage-- 12 miles, 20 minutes, $25 /hr.

TMGN-- 10 miles, 15 minutes, $18 /hr.

Bonus points for all-weather, year round comfort at the indoor ranges.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    ....Bonus points for all-weather, year round comfort at the indoor ranges.

Yep. For me, that is huge. My shooting behavior was molded decades ago when I was shooting 4 position smallbore. The vast majority of that was at indoor ranges. Shooting outdoors was miserable many times, wearing my standard sweatshirt and shooting jacket, long pants, boots and sweating like a pig. (I'm sure Sargent Baker was grinning devilishly the whole time.)

I had pretty much just quit shooting here in Md, just not my kind of enjoyment. It is sooooooo nice now to have a place to go at basically any time of day, regardless of season or weather and to be comfortable. Geezers like being comfortable. ;)

IgotAgun

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 20, 2015
    The only problem with TMGN is it has less lanes and no online reservation system. The online reservation system is the best idea I have ever heard of. I think I once waited 3 or 4 hours to shoot at MSAR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom