• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Even in MD that seems hard to believe - to the point of calling BS. Need more information, or it appears to be a false flag. It happens, so forgive my skepticism.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I've seen this before in criminal histories from the 1960's. Even small bounced checks were treated as very serious crimes under MD law back then. This scenario is perfectly believable to me.

I don't blame MSP. Once they are aware, they have to follow the law. I blame the lawmakers. So glad the MGA is keeping us safe from responsible men now in their 70's with a $5 bounced check fifty years ago. I hate this state.

If so, that's truly pathetic. I want to think there's a lot more to this than $30-worth of bounced checks from 51 years ago but, if not, if that's the only excuse needed to impound/confiscate someone's entire collection of firearms then WTF. If something like that is legal in MD then add that to the list of things I won't regret leaving behind when I move to SC later this year. :mad54:

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Yeah, OP, your attitude sucks. Folks come on here to learn and share info. Your attitude and your three one line posts makes it hard to help you.

He finds out his friend was raidied by MSP and you are berating him because his posts are one line only?
    Who the fvck cares that his posts are ome line only?
    Is there a minimum post line quota?
    Are we not allowed to discuss the overstepping and overbearing MSP if the post is less than 3 lines?

Should we bother to mention this isn't the first abuse of power that's been documented by MSP?Should we mention the ammo log raids? The forced registration of non regulated rifles? The many ex post facto punishments against law abiding gun owners? The complete circus carnival that is commonly known as MSP Licensing Division? The erroneous information persented as fact on the MSP website?

I'm only adding this extra line in the (likely) futile attempt to please the arbitrary post line count volunteer police force.:rolleyes:

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    Wow I wasn't looking for help. Had initially copied my friends entire email and pasted with all the details but thought it was a little much and maybe private. My intention was to relate a story on a message board that is all. Why would someone waste time making things up or calling people liars is beyond me bit that's just me I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The OP didn't do anything to be censured for.

The current statute may well mention $100, but this is 1966 under discussion. For that matter, in modern Md its all but impossible to get prossecuted for bad check. Enter into a 12mon repayment plan, and have a have the charges dropped.

50Yr ago was a different era. Bad checks were severely frowned upon ( and those amounts were worth somthing back then). May have been a Misdeamenor, but Md is rife with multiyear misdeamenors.

Flunk an HQL application, you are not just unable to purchase modern handguns, you are prohibited from possesing any firearm. You don't believe the MSP follows up on disapproved HQL apps ? You don't believe the Gun Recovery Unit exists ?

Meanwhile his lawyer could research that in 1966, it was indeed a multiyear offense. His lawyer could advise if he is federally Prohibited or just Maryland Prohibited. He lawyer could advise and assist in seeking a Pardon.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Wow I wasn't looking for help. Had initially copied my friends entire email and pasted with all the details but thought it was a little much and maybe private. My intention was to relate a story on a message board that is all. Why would someone waste time making things up or calling people liars is beyond me bit that's just me I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Appreciate you sharing this. Outrageous. This story needs to be reported in the press so the political establishment can be asked wtf are they thinking. Reminds me of the antique gun arrest in NJ involving an elderly gentleman. This has potentially more legs given this individual was a state shooting champion.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Appreciate you sharing this. Outrageous. This story needs to be reported in the press so the political establishment can be asked wtf are they thinking. Reminds me of the antique gun arrest in NJ involving an elderly gentleman. This has potentially more legs given this individual was a state shooting champion.

Or the DC guy that was arrested for having muzzle loader lead balls, prosecuted as having "reloading components"

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Or the DC guy that was arrested for having muzzle loader lead balls, prosecuted as having "reloading components"

As Biggfoot44 sagely noted, this kind of case might be remedied by Hogan's pardon pen. Hadn't thought about this, or noted his past use of it.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    This happens more than you'd expect. Have had at least six-eight consultations/clients in past twelve months with variations on this theme. Additionally each one said MSP were very polite and professional and in some cases apologetic.
    There is going to be some relief for certain people when new expungement laws kick in 10/1/17.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And the PSA take away is don't just ignore * that minor thing * back when you were young and dumb. Research exactly what transpired that are now hazy memories, and research their current impacts both in Maryland and in America.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This happens more than you'd expect. Have had at least six-eight consultations/clients in past twelve months with variations on this theme. Additionally each one said MSP were very polite and professional and in some cases apologetic.
    There is going to be some relief for certain people when new expungement laws kick in 10/1/17.

I thought they already kicked in on 10/1/16

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    If you fail an HQL application you lose all your guns?
    How is it that the HQL imposes a higher standard than a regular background check when buying a shotgun at Walmart? You passed muster 40 years ago and now all the sudden you're a prohibited person? I don't get it.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    If you fail an HQL application you lose all your guns?
    How is it that the HQL imposes a higher standard than a regular background check when buying a shotgun at Walmart? You passed muster 40 years ago and now all the sudden you're a prohibited person? I don't get it.

Because Maryland illegally and unconstitutionally made retroactive offenses with potential penalties greater than 1 year prohibiting offenses for handgun ownership. The Federal standard is 2 years IIRC.

So what this means is:
    Person A commits minor crime (lets say stealing a duck) when they're 18 before 2013 (IIRC thats when the law was enacted). They get slapped with a charge that carries a maximum sentence of 1 year. They plead guilty and move on with their life.
    3 years later they attempt to get an HQL and get denied and house raided by MSP.
    Person B is Person A's accomplice for stealing a duck and also pleads guilty. He buys a shotgun the next week so no one can steal his ducks and him and his ducks live happily ever after because he and the ducks give no fvcks.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Re post #33 : Md was already screwy, but FSA 13 kicked this into high gear.

So far we have been discussing on the basis of the gentleman referenced in the OP being a Md resident the whole time. If we start talking about other states, it gets really crazy.

Let's say Mopar's cousin Ernesto gets convicted in North Dakota of spitting on the sidewalk, and the ( used fictiously for effect) penality is maximum of $10 fine and no jail time. Ernesto pays the $10, grumbles to his buds the next night, and moves on (he thinks).

Ernesto later moves to Maryland. In Maryland spitting on the sidewalk is a Misdeamenor punishable by up to 3 years.

Under FSA13 , any offenses comited in other jurisdictions are intetpeted by the possible penalties at the time OR the possible penalties for similar offense if it were tp occur in present day MD.

Too crazy to be true ? Nah, it's part of FSA13. In real world, lots of states have low level "assault" statutes for basically yelling and being disorderly, maybe bumping chests. But if it has "assault" in the name, it is considered equivalents to 1st deg Asssult, and prohibiting.

And then there is all the stuff in FSA that is retroactive. Supposedly not Ex Post Facto because it doesn't lead to a fresh conviction for the underlying offense, just rectractively deprives you of your rights as if it were a fresh Felony conviction.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Because Maryland illegally and unconstitutionally made retroactive offenses with potential penalties greater than 1 year prohibiting offenses for handgun ownership. The Federal standard is 2 years IIRC.

So what this means is:
    Person A commits minor crime (lets say stealing a duck) when they're 18 before 2013 (IIRC thats when the law was enacted). They get slapped with a charge that carries a maximum sentence of 1 year. They plead guilty and move on with their life.
    3 years later they attempt to get an HQL and get denied and house raided by MSP.
    Person B is Person A's accomplice for stealing a duck and also pleads guilty. He buys a shotgun the next week so no one can steal his ducks and him and his ducks live happily ever after because he and the ducks give no fvcks.

And MSI is going after the HQL? I'm sorry, but this is low hanging fruit IMO. VERY low hanging. Especially if this happened more than once recently. I believe it takes two people harmed for a Class Action. :sad20:

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    And MSI is going after the HQL? I'm sorry, but this is low hanging fruit IMO. VERY low hanging. Especially if this happened more than once recently. I believe it takes two people harmed for a Class Action. :sad20:

MSI is going after the HQL because they where running out of time to file a lawsuit. They barely scraped together enough funding for the HQL lawsuit as it is. Then you need to think PR. "Gun owners want to help felons get guns". The press and the idiots (gullible public) would be frothing at the mouth to run those headlines. IMO this wouod be a job to sic the ACLU on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom