• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    My grandfather brought this one back from his time in Europe. Same goes for the field glasses. I also inherited two flight suits of German origin, a pilot's headgear (radio intact) and drogue chute as well. Sold the flight suits as they were too difficult to keep in good condition and were not Luftwaffe marked, but kept everything else.

Here's pics of the Luger (zip-tied from where my folks were storing it to keep curious grand kids from doing damage) along with the bring-back papers and the field glasses. Field glasses have etched lenses with ballistic markings for artillery/tank use from what I understand. Similar to the sight picture you see in Russian PSO-series scopes. You'll have to excuse the redacted SNs. I originally took these pictures for a facebook group and that makes me be a bit more cautious.

papersholster.jpg

papers.jpg

holster%20open.jpg

lugmag.jpg

lug%20close.jpg

alummage.jpg

bakelitemag.jpg

lugtop.jpg

nocs.jpg

nocs3.jpg

nocs2.jpg

We take her out and shoot her every so often with light loads. All matching except the aluminum bottomed mag. The pull tab on the leather strip on the holster broke decades ago. Need to find a good holster doc to fix that for us. Still have the leather knob.

She's smooth, but I can't hit crap with her. Too odd to point for me. The ergonomics don't make for good two-handed pistol shooting, it really is an extension of your hand in a single-hand stance though. It's not the gun, it's me. ;)

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Beautiful! I always wanted one but I'm not up to speed on the things to look out for.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Great piece of family history! I have one very similar (not from my family though), also a 41 Mauser with the so called "black widow" grips. Depending on the letter suffix of your SN, that black bottom mag (guessing it's marked FXO and eagle/37 on the side near the baseplate) may be the correct one for your gun (mine is an "x" suffix and the black bottom FXO marked mag is correct for mine at least, don't remember exactly when the switch from numbered aluminum to unnumbered black plastic occurred but I believe it was later in the 41 run).

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Great pieces. I'm surprised that you can't shoot the gun well, it is an odd grip but I find the sights on mine to be very accurate because of the fine front post.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    PM sent on holster repair....

Nice grouping especially with the bring-back paperwork!

Yes, send it to Jerry! He's the man for Luger leather.
    I love my P08. Instinctive pointing that does favor one-handed shooting. The only thing I found off-putting is having the toggle briefly block my POV when it cycles.

Last edited:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Great pieces. I'm surprised that you can't shoot the gun well, it is an odd grip but I find the sights on mine to be very accurate because of the fine front post.

It's plenty accurate in the hands of people who are better pistol marksmen than I. Honestly, there are only 3 pistols I've ever been very accurate with. A bare-bones "Springfield" 1911A-1 (Imbel made), my PA-63 (that took a lot of practice) and my TT-C. For some reason, I do much better with Browning single-action automatics than anything.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I know we all come here for the guns, but the camouflaged field glasses are really cool.

Thanks!

The family story goes like this:

My grandfather was an airplane mechanic (Tech Sgt) with the headquarters battery of his artillery battalion during the war. He'd fix the plane, sometimes fly it for aerial forward observers to snap pictures, etc. Anyway, he's just finished doing a pre-flight check on the battalion HQ's Piper Cub in the field and he's up on a step stool looking at the engine or some such thing when a German officer walks up behind him, taps him on the shoulder, and surrenders right there. He assumed he was surrendering to an officer as American pilots were all commissioned officers in the Army Air Corps, but didn't realize he was surrendering to a non-com. He was apparently a bit chagrined at the whole thing when he found out. HQ let my grandfather keep the officer's Luger that he handed over in surrender since my grandfather was the guy who he originally surrendered to.

Not 100% sure if the field glasses came with that or not, but they're on the papers, so they don't part ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom