• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    What is the final answer? Do I need to purchase the lock with the gun from the dealer or can I bring my own?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Up to the dealer, they make the transfer so they get to layer their own rules on how it gets xferred to you. Selling a new lock with every purchase is value-add, nets a few more dollars in profit to every sale.

I've also never bought a pistol from a big chain store, they may force the sale of a gun lock to avoid having to argue with the yahoo who "forgot his" and wants them to waive the requirement.

Personally if I was told to buy a new lock and bringing the one I own didn't cut it, I'd take my business elsewhere.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Aren't there some guns with an internal/integral lock that don't need the bore lock? Is that still a thing? I thought the bore lock came about for the guns that didn't have it? :shrug:

And I'll second, or third, that it's up to the store. Mine doesn't make me buy a new one each time. I heard about a store (can't remember who), when this first started, who made you buy the lock and leave with it, then return it later for a full refund. Kind of a PITA, but I guess also CYA for them.

Bottom line, I'd say ask before you start any paperwork.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Aren't there some guns with an internal/integral lock that don't need the bore lock? Is that still a thing? I thought the bore lock came about for the guns that didn't have it? :shrug:

And I'll second, or third, that it's up to the store. Mine doesn't make me buy a new one each time. I heard about a store (can't remember who), when this first started, who made you buy the lock and leave with it, then return it later for a full refund. Kind of a PITA, but I guess also CYA for them.

Bottom line, I'd say ask before you start any paperwork.

To the bolded yes for example you buy a taurus as long as it has its integrated safety sytem no bore lock if sold used and without the "key" it will need a bore lock or you have to buy a "key" from taurus and have it with you at when you take possession, if its used be sure to ask the FFL since they may have their own "rule".

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    The law states that each pistol manufactured after 12/31/2002 must be transferred with an internal locking device.

This means Taurus, S&W and some Springfield Armory (and others but I'm lazy) firearms that are manufactured with an integral safety device are legal as manufactured. Other firearms without them require a caliber dedicated bore lock.

The bore lock is required to be present at the sale, it does not need to be installed.

Per the law there is NO requirement to purchase one from the FFL.

Some FFL's require you to purchase one, some accept the customer bringing one and some offer discounts for later returns.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    FYI: He did let me bring my own lock, which I did, which was for a different caliber, which they have never checked before (I thought I could just show it to them), but they did, and end of story I had to pay $30 for a cheap barrel lock that will never be used. At least next time I have one that fits .38-9mm.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    FYI: He did let me bring my own lock, which I did, which was for a different caliber, which they have never checked before (I thought I could just show it to them), but they did, and end of story I had to pay $30 for a cheap barrel lock that will never be used. At least next time I have one that fits .38-9mm.

A bit hard to pass of a 22lr lock for a 9mm :D :rolleyes:
    I'm going to have to get a rifle version to fit a Mare's Leg.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    buy it and throw it in the trash. one less locking device.....

Don't do that! Only approved bore locks are allowed for Maryland handgun sales. Buy the lock for the caliber of gun you're buying and then stick it on the shelf for the next one down the line.

Throwing it away means you're wasting money buying bore locks. My shop (2A) simply requires you bring a lock in for a new gun. I stick the locks, new in package, on top of my safe for the next purchase. Throwing them away in protest of Maryland's idiotic law just wastes your money and the bore locks are not cheap.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom