• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I honestly never really payed atttention to it. I was just so happy to finally have one I threw it in the gun and never thought about it. I broke the original the day I got the gun and it took me almost a year to find a new 1. Ill check in the morning when I get home from work.
    Yeah they are NOT easy to find! I thought there would be tons of them available but they are very rare. As long as it works, who cares if it sticks out some!

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    Yeah they are NOT easy to find! I thought there would be tons of them available but they are very rare. As long as it works, who cares if it sticks out some!

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly. Like I said I've put close to if not more than 200 rounds thru it with the new pin and I've had no issues. Only had 1 issue and I don't know if it was a design thing or the gun being stubborn thing. I loaded 1 round to test it and it wouldn't fire but when I put 5 in it worked just fine.

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    Ya it only happened that 1 time. Its the only time I ever put 1 round. I haven't tryed replicating that issue since that one time. I always just put all 5 in.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    That's strange.

Well, I tried mine yesterday and the firing pin works perfectly.

The bolt is really rough feeding though, I need to look into the cause. It jacks up the brass, the angle isn't quite right as the extractor grabs onto the rim or something.

I tried my other M24/47 bolt and it's much smoother.

But the firing pin issue is fixed, so that's nice. I have an AGI gunsmithing video that talks about Mauser feeding issues so I'll break it out and see what needs to be done.

Jan 8, 2017
    I broke my fireing pin on my m48 thru my own stupidity. Got a new one from sarco in pennsylvania for 30 bucks. Bought 4 of em for back ups in case I have another fit of stupidity and do it again.

sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm at wits end with a bent yugo m48 firing pin. Just received it the other day, torn it down and started cleaning and removing cosmoline. I used a styrofoam block and a washer to take the bolt down, to prevent any pressure on the firing pin (I know I know, i just didnt have a block of wood around to drill atm) so I know I didn't bend it. I'm looking on ebay and everyone wants an arm and a leg for a firing pin.

So I saw that you purchased one off of Sarco. Did you purchase the Mauser 98 Firing Pin MSR431 ? If so, is it still working for you? Thank you!

-Andrew

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Use an in insert gauge that just fits port diameter and then subtract firing pin tip diameter. Most tip diameters are about .074-.077. Port diameters in a serviceable bolt can be from .002-.003 tip clearance. You can shorten firing pins by sectioning the pin body and then welding back together to get the take-down grooves right and then check run-out in a lathe. Some times cocking piece dimensions will determine how much of the pin shoulder sticks out the back. Bolt roughness in a Yugo sometimes comes from a slightly warped receiver after heat treatment or burrs in the bolt ejector slot or a poorly fitted ejector. Most of them just run a little rough and I wouldn't worry about it if that's the case. Straighten bent tips gently in a aluminum block with a hole in it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    What was the point of the intermediate action anyway? They were still designed for the same cartridge and the amount of the shortened stroke amounts to nothing.

If you save 10% worth of material on ten receivers, it means the eleventh receiver is a bonus. Same holds true for the bolt material. Less machine time. Less hand finish time.

Multiply that by oodles and oodles of rifles and it all adds up.

And for those wondering, Turkish 1903 bolts will interchange with Yugoslavian M48 rifles. So there's a source for firing pins.

I need to measure the bolt travel between my Turkish M38 and the Yugo M48. If the Turk has a longer travel, then the M48 would be a faster action. A faster action means more lead down range in the same period of time.

GodOfVice

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    If you save 10% worth of material on ten receivers, it means the eleventh receiver is a bonus. Same holds true for the bolt material. Less machine time. Less hand finish time.

And for those wondering, Turkish 1903 bolts will interchange with Yugoslavian M48 rifles. So there's a source for firing pins.

I need to measure the bolt travel between my Turkish M38 and the Yugo M48. If the Turk has a longer travel, then the M48 would be a faster action. A faster action means more lead down range in the same period of time.

Good to know because I also have a M24 that fits into that category.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I got this pin to work, but it didn't last long. Since I didn't heat treat the extra material the guy welded on for me....it bent and I went on to another project.

I found a guy on Ebay selling Yugo firing pins....he sent me a 1903 Turkish firing pin, which is also an intermediate action but just slightly different. I already had one of those, so I sent it back to him.

I settled on just using the Turk firing pin I already had, which will fire just fine but you cannot rotate the safety because the notches in the back of the pin are just slightly different. I only use this rifle as a range gun so it's not a big deal to me. Seems like I compared it to an actual Yugo pin and decided it wasn't worth the effort to modify the notches. I have so many parts and project going on, I forget...

I would like to eventually get the correct pin for it though.

SARCO was sold out when I checked.... I've never seen them anywhere but ebay, and from my experience you have to be careful with that because sellers don't always know what they have. The half moon stamp was a obvious giveaway when I first opened it....

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri

Those Turk pins are a strange bird. Some will go into a Yugo bolt and function perfectly, safety notches and all. Some will fire, but the safety won't work. They are slightly different in overall length, and in the notches on the back. EDIT: At least the examples I have, which is two different Turk pins vs three different Yugo pins

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Firing pin length, M24 Mexican, FN,Belgium OAL 7.208 Rear 5.225 front 1.983 bolt body length 6.165
    M24,47,48,FN or Yugoslavian OAL 7.240 rear 5.225 front 2.015 bolt body length 6.115 Considerable dimension is found when parts are measured, firing pin dimensions were obtained by measuring a good many examples. Original blue print data is no longer available. Data has been provided from a table by John Vest an instructor at Lassen College gunsmith school and member of the American Custom Gun-makers Guild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom