• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrwhitt

May 27, 2012
    Incorrect.

If it can use the same internal parts as a banned firearm, the new firearm is also banned. A side charger does not have any internal parts for the upper that can be used in a standard AR upper. As such, a side charger is not banned, no matter the barrel profile.

The ASA side charger bolt carrier works just fine in a standard AR - be careful here.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Incorrect.

If it can use the same internal parts as a banned firearm, the new firearm is also banned. A side charger does not have any internal parts for the upper that can be used in a standard AR upper. As such, a side charger is not banned, no matter the barrel profile.

Good point! Time to get out the credit card...lol

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Anybody care to provide any updates on the Devil Dog Concepts (DDC) Side Charging Handle for AR-15? How has it held up with use? Thanks!

Last edited:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Incorrect.

This is the correct answer. To be banned as a non-HBAR "copy" of a Colt AR-15, the gun must, by the determination of the MSP, be both cosmetically similar to a Colt AR-15 and have completely interchangeable parts. I would argue that since a side-charger uses a different upper, a different bolt carrier, a different charging handle, etc, that it is not completely interchangeable with a Colt AR-15 and is therefore not banned as a "copy."

The ASA side charger bolt carrier works just fine in a standard AR - be careful here.

That shouldn't matter. The determination from MSP was that they need completely interchangeable parts to be "copies" of one another.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It doesn't look like an HBAR profile barrel to me. If it's not, then it would only be legal paired with a pre-ban lower purchased (or from purchase order dated) before Oct 1, 2013.

Why?

Not interchangeable parts, just like a DI upper.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Love a side charging handle on an AR....

Will get one if it's not a copycat per SB281.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

True, but a standard BCG will not work in an ASA receiver. So where does that leave us? In my case, mine resides atop a pre-pre-prebanned old, old lower.

I personally would prefer a left-side non reciprocating upper on a shorter(SBR) gun, and a right-sided reciprocating upper on a long gun. 9mm ARs should have reciprocating right-side chargers, IMHO.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Incorrect.

Not necessarily. MSP can arbitrarily make the decision to call it a copy, take the ARX100 for example.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Not necessarily. MSP can arbitrarily make the decision to call it a copy, take the ARX100 for example.

They can do that, but they themselves have admitted that their arbitrary determinations do not carry the force of law, and that they're just "guidelines."

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Try to buy one that's on the guideline list from a MD FFL.

There are some on that list that are regularly and legally sold in this state

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. It happens all the time from FFLs who know what they're doing. MSP has actually changed some of the guns on that list based on this.

When they were called on the list being full of ******** as part of a lawsuit, their actual response was "Consumers should ask their FFL if a given rifle is legal."

Jradack

Dec 12, 2013
    Somd
    I see nobody has mentioned Fulton armory. I don't own a side charge ar but I do own some Fulton armory stuff and its top quality. Looks like they are making a ar10 side charger too.
    http://www.fulton-armory.com
    Oh and they are located in MD if you like supporting businesses in your backyard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom